Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

eny information on 22inch mono coiltek coil

5 posters

Go down

eny information on 22inch mono coiltek coil Empty eny information on 22inch mono coiltek coil

Post  dazza gold Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:15 am

hi just arsking some peoples thourts on this coil and how far down it should go with minelab 500.and if eny boddy eles is running this coil eny information would be helpfull thankyou daryl.

dazza gold
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-07-30

Back to top Go down

eny information on 22inch mono coiltek coil Empty Re: eny information on 22inch mono coiltek coil

Post  phill Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:02 pm

G'day Daryl,

Dosen't look like your getting a lot of response to your question so I thought I might offer my 2 bobs' worth.

I had the opportunity to swing a 22" CT for a few days a couple of months ago.

Although I wasn't able to crack any gold with it at the time I reckon the stability of it was excellent, once ballanced it ran as quiet as a mouse with very little interference from the suttle knocks and bangs which are inevitable when using these large coils, and it held its ballance well over even ground.
At the time of using the coil the weather was crap with pending storms not to far away.

I did manage a few 22cal slugs and if memory serves me right a shot gun pellet as well, none of the targets were deep, but on the plus side I was able to pinpoint the little buggers down to about a 6" square area before I dug them which I personally was quite happy with as I generally find pinpointing with the larger coils a bit of a quest!
Sorry I can't offer any advice on the deepth abilities..... but how longs a piece of string eh?
I've dug a heap of targets to 30" and deeper with a 14"x9" CT most of them large rubbish so I do try to avoid going after them but once was a multi ounce haul at 28" so..... if the targets big enough and you have your machine tuned in as well as your head who knows......?

Good luck buddy, Cheers Phill.
phill
phill
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

eny information on 22inch mono coiltek coil Empty Re: eny information on 22inch mono coiltek coil

Post  Coiltek Manufacturing Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi Daryl,
Phill made some good remarks, thanks mate.

Also remember that 'How deep does the coil go?' is also relevant to the size of the target size you are after. There is no straight answer to this! Cool

My thoughts on this are:
This coil is not made to find the sub grammers - these have to be in the top inch or two to be heard. Coil is too big to find these at depth.
It will see larger pieces - 5gram + at good depths. If there was a golf ball size nugget you might get around 20 inches or more before the target dissapears. Remember at these depths the target response is usually broad and somewhat faint. A low groan to suggest a sound. As the targets get bigger you can get more depth but other factors come into play like nugget orientation and mineralisation.

I guess the best way to get a good feeling of the coils performance is to try one. We do issue some coils out to dealers as demos so you can contact your local dealer to see if there is one available for a few days. You can then see how it goes.

If not then please contact me if you would like to try one as I have my demo coil of the 22" which I am more than happy to lend out. I do have some terms to lending out a coil however we can discuss this further if you wish to go ahead. (terms do not include half of what gold you find! LOL Smile Laughing

There is no better way than trying before you buy!

I hope this helps mate and take care
Trevor.

Coiltek Manufacturing
Coiltek Manufacturing
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Crocko Sun May 13, 2012 9:49 pm

Coiltek Manufacturing wrote:

My thoughts on this are:
This coil is not made to find the sub grammers - these have to be in the top inch or two to be heard. Coil is too big to find these at depth.

Hi Trevor....I bought 22" round mono from you recently and I'm struggling a bit with the settings on my GPX 5000. Given your comments re: sub grammers I guess 'Fine Gold' is not the ideal timing..(JP suggested I might get a more stable result using Enhance which I am)....Given this I am still getting a slight warbling effect at the threshold and can't seem to tune it out. Its not too bad but I feel it might be enough to mask a deep target, which is, of course, what I bought it for.
I would be grateful for any suggestions/options as to settings that you or JP might care to make.

rgds...crocko

Crocko
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  gonediggin Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:48 pm

I have only got about 5 hours on the 22" coil mated to a 5000 and have this to say.

I tried a longer shaft and found it to be a bit cumbersom, so I went back to a standard length shaft and it felt good. Not a coil for everyday use in bushy confined areas Smile ,for open ground its great and a hipstick would make prolonged use easier for sure. For Pinpointing I kept a GB2 slung over my shoulder just incase Basketball

Sensitivity wise, my first piece with it was a flyspeck on the surface, I scratched my head and laughed as to how the #$%$ it saw such a GB2 sized piece.
I doubt it would find small at depth, but never say never.

I call it the "wildcard coil", I bought it for big deep balls out all or nothin style detectin, and now I think I need to spend a bit more time with smaller coils and do some more learning before I get serious with it. But its comforting to have a coil as such on hand though for when the situation arises.
gonediggin
gonediggin
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-10-17

Back to top Go down