Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dodgy 4500 on ebay - warning!

+6
Mechanic
goldquest
BatchelorGold
Justdigging
Chuckles
Rtanweb
10 posters

Go down

Dodgy 4500 on ebay - warning! Empty Dodgy 4500 on ebay - warning!

Post  Rtanweb Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:45 am

Hi Ladies & Gents,

i was going to bid on a 4500 on fleabay, and asked for serial number beforehand.

Seller refused to tell what S/N the machine has. His explanation? He can't tell me the serial number "for security reasons".

He also said that the machine was apparently bought "on ebay from a Hawaii dealer".

I am definatly staying away from this auction.

You think it will help to tell Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270774940087

Rtanweb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Dodgy 4500 on ebay - warning! Empty Re: Dodgy 4500 on ebay - warning!

Post  Chuckles Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:55 am

His ebay purchase history does not mention a minelab 4500 ..only 4500 instruction dvd and some maps so tht puts paid to his claim that he got it off ebay last year..unless neither he or the seller left feedback for the other.
Sounds like BS about keeping the serial number secret for security...a guilty conscience maybe but not for security.
Ask him why no feedback was left regarding this tranaction on ebay and see what he says and explain that a person with nothing to hide would not withold the serial number.
Ebay will do nothing unless he breaches their rules and not giving the serial number would not breach their rules..you used to be able to contact the bidders to warn them of a scam but no now...the mongrel in Cohuna who was trying to flog fake minelabs sucked in a few people and they never got the goods or their money back..Ebay just don't care as long as they get their cut...check his feedback out... http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=stazy77&&_trksid=p4340.l2560&iid=270751455682&sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller ..and Ebay haven't cancelled his account !
If it feels wrong then it is wrong..trust your instints.

Chuckles
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Justdigging Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:39 am

This seller is a scam , he was selling 5000 awhile ago and said he had sold 2 but no feedback either way , stay clear of this seller .Ebay might not want to help but inform paypal they will act most times as it is them that guarantee purchase .
Cheers
Justdigging
Justdigging
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2011-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:37 am

I have sent the sell a message asking him to explain 4 negitive feed backs in regarding other detector sales and would this happen to me if I won the bid.
Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Rtanweb Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Great Spot Chuckles!

i did not think to check his history for a purchase feedback (facepalm moment) Smile

Anyhoo, i reported the item to ebay as possibly stolen.

Lets see what happens.

Rtanweb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  BatchelorGold Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:06 pm

I too was keen to have a crack at the 4500 seeing as it was from Darwin.
I got the same response...."I won't give out the serial no. for security reasons". When I asked if I was the winning bidder could I pick the unit up and save on postage as I too live approx 80km from Darwin! (he stated that he lived 80km from Darwin) he tells me he would rather post it to the winning bidder!!
Alarm bells ringing after that I can tell you! Fancy picking up something from the same post office it was originally posted from!!! Very Happy
Dodgy or what. He is also selling approx 5g of little gold nuggets on another listing...I wonder if they were found with his 4500??
Also said that he had to pay an extra $500 to get the unit through customs after buying it from Hawaii on ebay.

BG
BatchelorGold
BatchelorGold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2011-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:28 pm

Rtanweb wrote:Hi Ladies & Gents,

i was going to bid on a 4500 on fleabay, and asked for serial number beforehand.

Seller refused to tell what S/N the machine has. His explanation? He can't tell me the serial number "for security reasons".

He also said that the machine was apparently bought "on ebay from a Hawaii dealer".

I am definatly staying away from this auction.

You think it will help to tell Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270774940087

I think we are becoming paranoid in this forum I saw the 4500 on eBay and it seems to me perfectly legitimate, how can it be stolen if it has all the accessories that come in the box.
For me, the owner is only very cautious in giving details of the metal detector.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I still I trust others and give people a chance. Smile
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Wombat wrote:I have sent the sell a message asking him to explain 4 negitive feed backs in regarding other detector sales and would this happen to me if I won the bid.
Wombat

Can you tell me where did you see the four negative feedback, looks to me that his feedback is 100%?
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:44 pm

Chuckles wrote:His ebay purchase history does not mention a minelab 4500 ..only 4500 instruction dvd and some maps so tht puts paid to his claim that he got it off ebay last year..unless neither he or the seller left feedback for the other.
Sounds like BS about keeping the serial number secret for security...a guilty conscience maybe but not for security.
Ask him why no feedback was left regarding this tranaction on ebay and see what he says and explain that a person with nothing to hide would not withold the serial number.
Ebay will do nothing unless he breaches their rules and not giving the serial number would not breach their rules..you used to be able to contact the bidders to warn them of a scam but no now...the mongrel in Cohuna who was trying to flog fake minelabs sucked in a few people and they never got the goods or their money back..Ebay just don't care as long as they get their cut...check his feedback out... http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=stazy77&&_trksid=p4340.l2560&iid=270751455682&sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller ..and Ebay haven't cancelled his account !
If it feels wrong then it is wrong..trust your instints.

Not everybody leave feedback unfortunately it is not conpulsory, it appens to me many times.
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Chuckles Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Woah there...the feedback link I posted is not for the guy selling the 4500 but for a previous scammer selling Minelabs who bolted with money from ebayers...I only mentioned it to highlight just how wrong it can go if you deal with a shonky seller and that any legit seller has no reason to withold a serial number...especially as he claims to have purchased his 4500 from Hawaii via ebay but no record of it shows...good enough reason to be very sus about it especially as no pick up is available even if you live nearby. Suspect

Chuckles
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Chuckles wrote:Woah there...the feedback link I posted is not for the guy selling the 4500 but for a previous scammer selling Minelabs who bolted with money from ebayers...I only mentioned it to highlight just how wrong it can go if you deal with a shonky seller and that any legit seller has no reason to withold a serial number...especially as he claims to have purchased his 4500 from Hawaii via ebay but no record of it shows...good enough reason to be very sus about it especially as no pick up is available even if you live nearby. Suspect

The good thing about eBay is that no one forces you to buy if you're not sure, I have bought and sold on eBay and also I prefer to ship the items, I do not like cash on pick up, but that does not mean that what I sold was stolen or suspicious.
If you want people to trust you, you have to trust the people.
But this is my opinion.
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mechanic Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:39 pm

Hi Guys,

Well to me it does look legit.

I thought for a minute that there was something up when I looked at the last item he sold and it was a set of snow ski's for pick up in Boolooroo, NSW.
But upon actually reading the listing, I saw that the pick up was from his sisters house.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270771273914

The font and writing style is the same so I would say that it is the same person doing the selling(His account has not been hacked).
There is always a possibility that the detector was purchased with, say, his wife's account.
The photos look genuine enough. He may not want to give out his serial no. for fear that somebody might report it as stolen?? and try and scam it from him?? Try and ask him for the last 5 numbers of the serial, that way he does not give up the full serial and you can still ask minelab if there are any detectors that have been logged as stolen with those last 5 numbers.
If you make your payment through Paypal you should be covered if this is a scam.

Cheers Mick

Mechanic
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2011-02-20

https://DetectronicsAustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:22 pm

BatchelorGold wrote:I too was keen to have a crack at the 4500 seeing as it was from Darwin.
I got the same response...."I won't give out the serial no. for security reasons". When I asked if I was the winning bidder could I pick the unit up and save on postage as I too live approx 80km from Darwin! (he stated that he lived 80km from Darwin) he tells me he would rather post it to the winning bidder!!
Alarm bells ringing after that I can tell you! Fancy picking up something from the same post office it was originally posted from!!! Very Happy
Dodgy or what. He is also selling approx 5g of little gold nuggets on another listing...I wonder if they were found with his 4500??
Also said that he had to pay an extra $500 to get the unit through customs after buying it from Hawaii on ebay.

BG

Thats funny, he told me pick up was no problem, lives at Humpy Doo!!! affraid
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:37 pm

I just accused the guy who is selling the detector for having 4 bad feed backs. I got it wrong by viewing Chuckles comments:-

Ebay just don't care as long as they get their cut...check his feedback out... http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=stazy77&&_trksid=p4340.l2560&iid=270751455682&sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

This was the seller of the detector reply :-
I think you had better look again, I have never sold a metal detector. You obviously have mixed me up with some other listing..

- pjovan04

ooopppss Embarassed
Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  sigron Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:54 pm

Just out of curiosity sake would a detector purchased from Hawaii include a 240 volt charger . Question Question
240 volt charger no good in the USA
Ron

sigron
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:56 pm

sigron wrote:Just out of curiosity sake would a detector purchased from Hawaii include a 240 volt charger . Question Question
240 volt charger no good in the USA
Ron

You can buy a 240 volt charger in Australia, if you need one.
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:11 pm

The battery charger is universal.
Will operate on 110-240 volts.
Universal power point adapters also came in the 4500 box (well they did in the one i bought). Pick the right one and slide it onto the slot on the adaptor.

It was clear to me when i bought it, it didn't matter what country it was sold in, it was ready straight from the factory shipped box.

The listing doesnt look like a scam to me.
Pay with paypal using a credit card and if you don't get what you paid for, do a chargeback through your bank.
Check with your bank for the details on your credit card guarantee for online purchases.

Heck, has anyone asked for the blokes number and rang him? My first extreme I bought came from a classified add from an old bloke in another state. I paid him though direct bank deposit and got my detector 4 days later.
This ebay seller DOES NOT sound fishy to me.
In fact, I would buy it from him.

Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:33 pm

DONT BID!!! then i can get it cheap.hehhee.
His acct has been open 3 years all looks good to me.He has even bought the dvd etc at some stage..
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  heidii Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:01 pm

i rekon this item was a Minelab copy, you can get them from China for $1000 bucks

heidii
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down