Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heavy Trash Fine Gold

3 posters

Go down

Heavy Trash Fine Gold Empty Heavy Trash Fine Gold

Post  Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:00 pm

So for 7 months I've been putting up with my 11 inch mono coil in areas with high trash content, meaning hundreds of tack's from old sluice box & puddle, rocker box repairs.
Then it dawned on me why 15 years ago I wanted a Minelab, it was because of there discrimination capability's!
Everyone says dig every target "Screw that" So my mono is in moth balls and the 11 inch double D takes pride and place heading of the 5000. detecting mostly in fine gold and with a flick of a switch I go to custom where I use the ferrous discriminate on 2 levels 5 & 10, What a difference, no more tacks!
My Gold pan plays a big part in my metal detecting.
This works for the area where I prospect. If you live where iron stone coated gold is common, this wont work for you.

Cheers~Chris.

Back to top Go down

Heavy Trash Fine Gold Empty Re: Heavy Trash Fine Gold

Post  Goldbait Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:42 pm

Not that i think thats entirely a bad idea...

But. What if there is gold amongst those tacs. It will get cancelled out. Obviously the old timers were there for a reason.

There can only be so many tacs in the area, but there should be the odd nugget as well.

Clean the area out, get rid of all the crap. you don't know what might be lurking in the ground there.

Smile
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:55 pm

If you know about how fine the gold is around Wangaratta you would understand a lot better, thats why I wont post pictures of fly sh@t, and that's why I use a gold pan as well?
Cheers~Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post  the speciman Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:42 pm

GDAY ALL AND ONE
good answer gold bait!!!!!!!!!!!! if everbody is happy with there 5000 picking up smaller gold then god bless there cotton socks everybody is happy but if those detectorists out there want to pick up bigger pieces then stick to the game plan!! we have all heard or nice bits being found in well trashed areas (ie 100 bits of junk 1 x 2 grammer ) pull the junk take it home and go back and find a nice piece
its all fun out bush appeciate it the sun, the wild life, the piece and quiet enjoy!!!!!!!!!

good scratchin
cheers the speciman

the speciman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2010-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:07 pm

You guys are missing the point? Sure if your in the right locations you maybe lucky enough to pick up an ounce of gold for a full weekends detecting, but that's becoming a scarce reality!
So I'll stick with my fine gold, where I can get the same results!
I don't detect in discrimination mode, When I move a target I will pin point with Iron reject, move it out of the way and test the original location again in Normal?
So unless these small tacks etc are coated with gold, I'm good to go! So don't expect to find any clear ground if your walking in my footsteps, Not now anyway!
Your detector is just one piece of equipment!
Thinking outside of the square.

Cheers~Chris. Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:10 pm

chris hi
i understand why you are running a dd, so you can discriminate with it, but are you running the dd in dd or mono?. if you are running it in dd you might do better running say a coiltek 14" round dd in mono , then you would be using a 14x7 mono , but discriminating with a 14" dd round.
just a thought.
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:48 pm

Dave, you just confused the cr#p out of me, you said what? Sorry mate not familiar with other coils I'm just eliminating the amount of time spent retrieving worthless targets, especially in gully's with large rocks! So much easier.

Cheers~Chris. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:01 pm

sorry mate . what i meant was if you were to use say a 14" dd but on the front panel switch the machine to "mono" ,the 14" round would become a 14x7 mono ( the left hand side of the coil ) , then if you got a target that you wanted to use the discrimation you switch the front panel back to "dd".
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:19 pm

That's just as confusing! A double D coil uses two coils squashed in the middle with the two flat parts of the D overlapping each other to produce the neutral zone!
Where as a Mono only has one coil winding??? "I Think"????
I understand what your saying, using the Double D in mono RX, But that doesn't make your double D a Mono coil!

Sorry Dave I think I'll need to do some research on that idea.

Cheers~Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:50 pm

Or I just showed my ignorance! Half a coil, But what's the % lose, if none that's a great feature!

Cheers~Chris Embarassed Surprised Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:18 pm

chris hi i had a look through JP`s posts.
in these 2 links he talks about using a dd in mono
cheers dave

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t4509-5000-and-dd-coils#40791

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t436-a-dd-coil-vs-a-mono#2686

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:22 pm

Thank's for the link's Dave, Now I know why I drink? Ha Ha! Actually wasn't kidding!
There is quite a depth lose by using the double D in Mono, Your idea of a larger coil makes a lot of sense to increase the transmitted field. Unfortunately due to ground conditions I have a hard time swinging the 11 inch coil in most places, so I'll just stick with upping settings to achieve the best target response for the lead gold I'm chasing.
Without a doubt the mono coil does a much better job for the gold I'm chasing, but with the amount of small trash in the area, Iron reject is a beautiful thing!

Cheers~Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post  Imadogman Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Someday --- so how do you pin-point with iron reject? I was in an area today with a lot of crap around -- mainly wire from fences -- and believe me I dug a lot of holes for nada. So what advantage are you getting from the process -- do you still dig the item you located with iron reject? or am I understanding that after you have dug that target you retest the hole for another ? I'm new on 5000 so excuse me if this is a dumb version of what you are doing!
Imadogman
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:12 pm

Did it again! Spent ages writing a response for Imadogman, pressed send, and I'm not logged in any more! I'll try again tomorrow! Mad Sleep Sleep

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:34 am

someday wrote:Did it again! Spent ages writing a response for Imadogman, pressed send, and I'm not logged in any more! I'll try again tomorrow! Mad Sleep Sleep

Why don't you write it in "Word" then copy it to the forum. Saves a lot of frustration.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:18 am

Imadogman wrote:how do you pin-point with iron reject?
-- do you still dig the item you located with iron reject?
imadogman hi
to pin point with a dd , the most sensative part of the coil is the 12 o`clock position about 1" in from the edge of the coil, so if you get a little target that is where you will hear it the best.
the reason you use the iron reject is to tell you the target is rubbish and NOT dig it. i don`t use iron reject because i only use mono and iron reject does not work with mono coils.
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Imadogman Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:44 pm

Thanks -- I tried the double D on weekend on an old field that has a lot of trash. I had tried the previous day with the mono. With reject on 5-7 it got rid of all the large iron targets, including partly rusted tin, steel bars etc. It still allowed through as regular digable signals fragments of galvanised wire (some of it 6-8 inches in gully bed) and non ferrous mineral, like copper and lead bullet, slugs. So I was pretty impressed with it. I did the gully with both mono and DD and the mono nearly sent me crazy with all the junk targets. Righty or wrongly (I know everyone says dig everything!) I thought the DD with reject was actually really good in that high trash situation. The DD with reject had no trouble picking up my test nugget as a proper signal and did not blank it out. The sad part of the story is I found no gold with either coil, but as I have just got my 5000 I found the whole exercise a good learning experience. If iron targerts are driving me mad, I would certainly go DD with reject and take my chances on missing something.
Imadogman
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 pm

Well done for using iron reject Imadogman. My computer is having a spack attack after the kids downloading viruses over the school holidays! The computer is going really slow!
Iron reject with the 5000 will still sound full target signals on small scrap at depth IE tinny bits of wire, When the coil gets closer to the target, and if its junk it should blank out whilst swinging your coil. I use 2 reject settings, A low reject when target is first found, Dig a bit, then flat out pin pointing, when the culprit is out of the hole and blanks out as junk, I simply scrape that dirt out of harms way so I can continue detecting in normal? Deep!
Seems that the likely depressions I want to detect for faint threshold changes is where these tinny tacks and tinny bits of wire want to hide as well. Thank you Iron Reject!

Cheers~Chris. Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:06 pm

I know there will be plenty of detectorists out there that don't like this post/topic one little bit!
But you can't have everyone doing all your dirty work for you all the time! And I would say that's it in a nutshell?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:21 pm

someday wrote:I know there will be plenty of detectorists out there that don't like this post/topic one little bit!
But you can't have everyone doing all your dirty work for you all the time! And I would say that's it in a nutshell?

Question Why would you say that, if it works for you then more power to you, after all its areas with junk targets all around that have been overlooked and is probably hiding some gold.

I know it just about drives you insane trying to detect in such places but occasionally it pays off.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:50 pm

Your right Dave, sorry mate. I've recently received a couple of not nice Emails trying to tell me to stop posting about using "IRON REJECT"
For those who have emailed me "IRON REJECT ROCK'S"
P.s There's plenty of homeless wombat holes!

Cheers~Chris. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down