Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fine Gold vs Salt Gold

Go down

Fine Gold vs Salt Gold Empty Fine Gold vs Salt Gold

Post  Goldbait Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:41 pm

First hand info re. Salt Gold vs Fine gold.

Today out detecting i was using a new Nugget Finder Sadie 8x6 mono for the first time on mullock heaps in a known gold field.

I set my machine up to run stable on Fine Gold. Gain 14, Stab 8. Almost immediately i picked up a signal in fine gold. So because it had been raining and the ground was damp i thought i would give salt gold a go. Got an even stronger signal. Thought that was interesting.

So i dig out the area and then i swung the coil over the scraped dirt to get a really nice signal. It was a hot rock. The hot rock was direct over my initial signal.

Finding this (and after watching JP's new DVD where he talks about Fine Gold all but eliminating hot rocks) i changed to Fine Gold. Well the hot rock was still affecting the coil, but only barely.

I ran the coil back over the hole and there was another target there. 3 to 4 inches down i dug out a nice 0.8g nugget.

This is the intersting bit. A nugget this size being so close to the surface and it hasn't been found until now. I put this down to the ability of the GPX 5000 running in Fine Gold to mask out hot rocks and see true targets.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down