Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Enhance vs Fine Gold

+7
Jonathan Porter
Wantmoregold
Narrawa
xenon
dryblower
Universal1
Kon61gold
11 posters

Go down

Enhance vs Fine Gold Empty Enhance vs Fine Gold

Post  Kon61gold Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:09 pm

On reading the instructions for the 5000, I notice that for deep gold, you should use Enhance and for small gold use Special timings of Fine Gold

Obviously the general coil of choice is the 11" Mono, so do users just keep it on Fine Gold settings all the time or are there times when you switch it off and use Enhance.

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4504
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Enhance vs Fine Gold Empty Re: Enhance vs Fine Gold

Post  Guest Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:36 pm

Hi Jeff,
when the ground gets noisy you can switch over to enhance, otherwise fine gold is good.
good luck out there.
UB

Back to top Go down

Post  Universal1 Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:18 pm

UNCLE BOB wrote:Hi Jeff,
when the ground gets noisy you can switch over to enhance, otherwise fine gold is good.
good luck out there.
UB

I basically do the same, although when going over deeper ground I'll mostly have it in enhance. Both work well, less false signals when using enhance in hot ground compared to fine gold.
Universal1
Universal1
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Now there's food for thought!

Back to top Go down

Post  dryblower Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi Jeff
I aggree with the above , except in lighty mineralised ground Sensitive Extra will go deeper than the smooth timings on the gram plus bits.
The trade off is occasional ground noises and a few hot rocks
Maybe there's not much quiet ground in the East ? ( I am in WA )
DB

dryblower
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-12-25

Back to top Go down

Post  xenon Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:08 pm

That's very intresting people. I usually stick to the "fine gold" settings when out and about. Am off on a weeks trip in early October so will give the "enhance" a go and see if I notice any difference and re-post my findings.
xenon
xenon
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:57 pm

When you compare Fine Gold with Enhance in FP both using the same coil, the Enhance should be slightly quieter. Over the last few months, this has been the norm with every 5000 iv been with when comparing it to the FP setting of Enhance on the 4500.

Iv found that up to a certain size/depth on targets the 5000 is ahead on signal acquisition when using the fine gold, and this is probably more to do with the timing it self when comparing it with enhance on the 4500 . The Enhance on the 5000 is better than that of the 4500 and this would be because of the newer circuitry and software driving it, and a much better GB ability also compared to the 4500.

FG is more aggressive than Enhance on either machine, remember that when using micro coils on hot ground. Razz
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Wantmoregold Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:59 pm

A good question Jeff.

Now IF we are to believe this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WONenVozQc8&feature=player_embedded made by Gary Brun for Minelab and for MLOTV.com on the new GPX Soil/Timings than what is said and displayed for Enhance and Fine Gold Timings than using Fine Gold produces more sensitivity and more depth than Enhance as shown in the diagram for Fine Gold with its 3 levels of depth and for 3 nuggets sizes.

I suppose Minelab has endorsed this video?

WMG

Wantmoregold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:11 pm

Had a look at JPs DVD the other day and the colour of the ground was quite red with quartz rocks etc. Now I said to myself, this looks like a patch with heavy iron rocks in it. He is sure to go to Enhance.

Then he showed us his settings - still Fine Gold. Interesting! The conclusion I made was that as far as the 5000 is concerned it is much better to use it as it is designed for then move to Enhance if you have to. Most nuggets are within a foot down and unless it is terribly noisy it is best to leave it in Fine Gold.

Apparantly in Enhance and Sensitive Smooth, these are quieter settings and although not as sensitive as Fine Gold, they would probably better than those in the 4500.

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4504
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:38 am

Jeff

Check your PM

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:10 am

Jeff, thanks for supporting our DVD it is appreciated. Very Happy As a rule of thumb I recommend users select Fine gold for most elliptical coils in noisy ground (not conclusive with the 24x12 variants as I've not tested one yet but the 30" NF one prefers Fine) and Enhance for anything larger than 16 inch in the round sizes.

I've proven time and time again the superior behavior of the new version of Enhance on the 5000 against the 4500 and also Fine Gold on the 5000 with an 18" round mono on un-dug targets against Enhance on the 5000. There is less surface mineral swamping effect using Enhance on the larger round coils than Fine which equals a quieter deeper running machine, in some cases even small nuggets at extreme depths have sounded louder and clearer using Enhance over Fine (remember this is the new Enhance in combination with a large round Monoloop on the 5000 I'm talking about here),

Hope this helps,

JP

Nuggets found using Enhance and the 18" round coils

Enhance vs Fine Gold 17gm_15gm
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  TutC Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:20 am

Hi Chaps,
My brother has just just picked up an 18" Nuggetfinder round coil from Reeds and I have the 24"x12" Nuggetfinder elliptical. We're heading out next week to an area that we've pinged heaps of small shallow bits using the 17" Nuggetfinder ellip.(Our favourite coil). We have pinged the odd slug to 17 grams using the same coil and we're pretty sure there have to be a few more larger nuggets in the deeper ground.
We're going to start off with the 18" round in Enhance and the 24" Ellip in Fine gold as Jonathan has suggested and work from there. I'll let you chaps know how we go and how the two coils perform in their different settings.
lol!
TutC
TutC
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:27 am

Hi Tutc
The 18" is a gem,best of luck to you'se guys.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Flakmagnet Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:15 am

tutC

look forward to hearing you and your brothers impressions
comparing the coils.
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  TutC Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:05 pm

Hi Chaps,
Went out with my brother (Young Tut) last week and tried out the two coils, my brother with the 18” NF and myself with the 24”x12” NF. We detected an area that we had tried before which is highly mineralised and consists of mostly shale with the odd patches of Ironstone and quartz thrown in for good measure. Areas of shale are shallow and the gold pulled out is mostly small flat bits whereas the ironstone /quartz areas tend to be a bit deeper with more chance of picking up bigger gold.
We started off in the deeper ground at the foot of a run off coming down the side of a small hill. We’d picked up small bits on previous outings further up the runoff in the shallower ground using our 17” NF’s .
Started off with the 24”x12” NF in Special -Fine Gold, Rx Gain - 14, Stabilizer - 9, Audio - Deep, Motion - Very Slow and Signal Peak - 19. Found the coil to be very quiet in these settings and even tried the Audio in Boost for a couple of hours early in the day. Boost really brings the signal out, but found it to be a bit fluttery as the day heated up and had to revert back to Audio Deep and drop the Gain and Stabilizer down to 13 and 8 respectively.
If you’ve read the recent post (GPX5000 with a 18" Nugget Finder Advantage Coil -Young Tut) that my brother has written regarding how he went with the 18” NF, you’ll get an idea what settings he was running at and the problems he had. Even though he had problems with noise in the afternoon, he kicked butt in the morning. He had four bits in his pouch before I’d even had a sniff of yellow. He ended up with 31 grams with a nice slug of 15 grams. from about 15” deep. Most of this came in the morning session. I recon he’s onto a winner with the 18” NF.
Didn’t do too badly myself and ended up with just over 25 grams with my best being a nice piece of 9.7 grams. from about 12”deep.
Couple of things we got out of running the coils together was the 24” elip ran a lot quieter and was a lot easier to pinpoint with, but the 18" round was better on depth. Both coils weren’t too bad on the small stuff with both of us picking up bits down to 0.3 gram.
Will definitely be investing in an 18” NF as the next coil in my arsenal, but still think there is a big place for the 24” elip as a good coil to use on those noisy days. Very Happy
TutC
TutC
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post  Young TuT Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:12 am

G-Day To You All Very Happy

Ive just come In from a hard shift at BHPIO and Ive just read my brothers letter about our last gold detecting outing.As my brother said I broke out of the starting stall,s like Black Cavier on the morning. But as the day got hotter I limped about like a old nag ready for the knacker yard, I dont want to change to a differant coil I like the 18" Nugget Finder as TuTC said the ground was deep and the coil suited the ground for the depth.I have to try the differant settings Ive recieved off this forum and try to quieten the 18" down and I know I will hit more gold all through the day.

Young TuT farao
Young TuT
Young TuT
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Wantmoregold Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:20 pm

Young TuT after reading your brother's report above I am curious if either of you cross checked the signal responses on those deeper nuggets between Fine Gold and Enhance?

Thanks WMG

Wantmoregold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Wantmoregold Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:23 pm

The reason behind my question was due to making mention above in regards to the mob in UK at MLOTV and their diagram which displays Fine Gold having both Depth and Sensitivity over Enhance although they do not mention with what coil size.

JP’s report with photo above reads as though Fine Gold has the edge over Enhance even with a large coil although in some circumstances Enhance has the edge.

Since I have a 5000 I am trying to work out should I detect in Fine Gold with my NF18” mono as I am yet to detect anything decent at depth to cross check for myself other than smaller nuggets at shallow depths where Fine Gold produces a slightly better response than Enhance.

WMG

Wantmoregold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Young TuT Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:11 am

G-Day WMG Very Happy

To your question about if we crossed checked the signal response’s between fine gold and enhance on the deeper nuggets we found with the bigger Coils. Sadly we did not switch over to try out the different settings. But In the same area when I was using my 17” Nugget Finder Elliptical coil I got a signal In Fine Gold and when I switched it over to Enhanced there was no signal there (same settings). When I dug the gold up it was a flat piece weighing 5 grams at a depth of just over one foot. We are going to the same place next week so we will cross check the signal response this time out

Have a great day from Young TuT farao
Young TuT
Young TuT
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Young TuT Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:38 am

G Day WMG Very Happy

Well went out last week to our spot but unfortunately a storm front came In with thunder and lightning around and we could not calm our big coils down at all.I ended up using my 14" Nugget Finder Elliptical and my brother ended up with his 11" Minelab and we only got small stuff.

Have A Good Day Young TuT farao
Young TuT
Young TuT
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Wantmoregold Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:54 pm

No worries Young TuT as small stuff is in the majority.

Have waved my pick above my 18" coil in both FG and Enhance for a similar result.

I hate trying to detect with lighting spikes to the threshold even if blue sky overhead.

WMG

P.S. I see we are both of similar age but Young compared to your avatar.

Wantmoregold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Young TuT Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:18 am

G-Day WMG Very Happy

Yes small stuff Is In the majority at the minute but I hope It will change this week when me and my brother head’s back out to do a bit Prospecting. We only hope we have a good run this time and the bad weather keeps away. I will keep you posted about cross checking our settings If we find anything deep with the bigger coils. And I got named Young Tut after my older brother TutC.

Have a good day from Young TuT farao
Young TuT
Young TuT
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down