Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ides for camping on tray back ute

3 posters

Go down

ides for camping on tray back ute Empty ides for camping on tray back ute

Post  bobsreturn Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:13 pm

Im thinking of getting away for a few days ,prospecting ,and theres no hilton or backpackers near . looking at whats available for a trayback ute , cheap . not much , any thoughts arb and others want around 3k$for a canopy , cant see the value there. looking at second hand and hard to find up here . slide on campers , too much weight up top , what do you guys use ? tents are very popular with local crocs , called take out i believe . an coming around to a canvas canopy , cheers Bob

bobsreturn
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-06-10

Back to top Go down

ides for camping on tray back ute Empty Re: ides for camping on tray back ute

Post  shangers Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:19 pm

hi bobsreturn i have just bought a xt 705 and have my camping stuff organised one tarp long enough to go to below tray at rear of cab with other end connected to extend able tent poles on other end of tarp make sure tarp is long enough to cover over sides as well i find that this works well and is a cheap option for sleeping under. Also if you get a steel like cannopy ect for your tray built when you fit it out if you do try to get it made out of a product like marine ply called cd ply nice and lite or there is a hardwood ply as well both a lite as and when sealed up with coat of lacquer looks a million hope this helps.

shangers
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

ides for camping on tray back ute Empty Re: ides for camping on tray back ute

Post  skysite Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:13 am

hey bob
i have a hilux ute and put racks on the back brought a roof top tent for $1000 of ebay takes 5 min to put on and 5 min when you arrive....your off the ground and very warm...the weight is no problem cant even feel the difference.....i then have PVC piping under my racks with a gravity feed tap with a sink and draws under it...
takes me 10 min to pack my ute and 10 min when arrive....the racks i made myself.....go and see a fencing place they will be a hell of a lot cheaper the tent will attach easy...it allmost makes camping easier than living in a house....the roof top tents only weigh about 50kg....
Dave
mate i have some photos on my phone PM me your mobile and ill send them through dont know how to put pics on here
skysite
skysite
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down