Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heavy Duty Socks

3 posters

Go down

Heavy Duty Socks Empty Heavy Duty Socks

Post  Guest Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:11 am

Gday

While out at a local festival I came across a mob selling Industrial work socks, these socks have heavier knitting around the toe and heel areas, and are really designed to be worn with steel toe work boots.

I think that they would be good for us prospectors as well as good socks are important if you are on your feet for hours a day, I normally use the Explorer socks as they seem to be the most comfortable and durable socks I have found so far, these new ones are expensive, I paid $50 for three pairs as it was a festival special but the normal price is about $18.80 a pair.

They are made in NZ and are 70% merino wool--26% nylon--and 4% lycra, if you decide to get some make sure of your size, as the ones I got were too big for me and they were marked as 8.5 to 10.5, I take a size 10 boot, they exchanged them for a size marked as Medium 5.5 to 7.5 and they fit nice and snug, I bought the Miners Corp Industrie sock, Navy 94386612, but I have since seen that they also do socks for all types of boots and also some with built in gators to stop stuff from going into the boot as well.

I have no affiliation to this company but just thought that their products might be of use to some of you who like myself have touchy feet, they are called Miner's Corp. Essentials Pty Ltd, and also looking at their website you can buy using paypal as well.

http://www.minerscorp.com.au/

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Heavy Duty Socks Empty Re: Heavy Duty Socks

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:17 am

Thanks for the info Stayyer, I will have a look at those.

I normally wear explorer socks as well, as I like to have warm comfortable feet. I came across some socks some years ago now called "stockpile" these are made from Australian merino wool and I feel that these outlast explorer and are a better sock personally. My wife says that I have a sock fettish though Laughing

http://www.stockpile.com.au/products/index.php

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:56 pm

Nothing worst than cold feet! Thanks for the link stayyer. The old explorer socks ain't what they use to be?

Cheers~Chris. Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:41 pm

Good Socks make detectin the Goldfields sooo much more comfy.

I used to buy merino socks made locally - but alas I have been unable to purchase them from the local Market..

Target have these - very thick and toasty -- Me like Very Happy

Heavy Duty Socks Img_3211

Back to top Go down

Post  the speciman Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:13 pm

GDAY STAYYERAU
SOCKS SOCKS we dont were up here in the pilbarra just look at baloneys avatar
good scratchin
cheers the speciman

hows that 30x7 goin mate !!!!

the speciman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2010-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:44 am

Gday

Speciman sorry I didnt mean to offend you, I didnt realise that the detecting was so poor in your neck of the woods you cant even afford boots let alone socks Laughing , nah just kidding, it wasnt you blokes that I saw the pics of detecting in the raw was it?, you would probably want to give the spinifex a wide berth though wouldnt you.

I still think the 30x7 coil is a good thing, and have used it from time to time on open ground, the best thing is the massive ground coverage and judging by responses from buried rubbish I have found with it to date I think if there is any gold about you wouldnt miss it.

As an ex army bloke I learned very early about the importance of looking after your feet, and how you really need to have good fitting boots and also socks, we used to do a lot of running in boots and the gp boots and standard issue wool socks were kind to me, some blokes though ended up with massive blisters and still had to keep going, even doing what we are doing you really want to try and avoid injury or it could be game over.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:45 pm

Excellent post stayyerAU -- any upkeep of your body is of prime importance!! as I dont detect the importance of what you posted is still relevant to those who sluice or Banjo(highbank) as simple things such as --waders at least one size to big to allow for extra clothing -- the best socks you can afford-- cutting your finger /toe nails !(dont laugh) gum boots one size bigger as well and any of yuse (sic) who suffer from gout will know the pain of a tight boot !!! Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:01 pm

I discovered bamboo socks while in the NT a while ago.
Had to give them a go and very impressed. Worn them ever since.
No more sweaty feet.

They are more for keeping your feet dry than warmth but I wear them
all year round and they are OK for me in Kal's winter.

Can get them from the camping shop opposite Woolies in Kal.

Alan
Alan WA
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down