Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

eqinox 800 in heavy junk area

3 posters

Go down

eqinox 800 in heavy junk area Empty eqinox 800 in heavy junk area

Post  Dozer Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:58 pm

I have borrowed  a friends Equinox 800 to look at an area that is full of junk but it also has specimen gold in it. It has been pulled out and spread around and I would appreciate some ideas on how to approach this task. I have never used an Equinox, nor any other treasure detector before, however I have a couple of thousand hours on a 2300. I also use a 7000.

The 7000 is overwhelmed by the junk so I have used the 2300 and slowly worked my way through the junk. I can continue doing this however I have the chance to try something different and learning new things is good for my addled old brain.

Any help will be appreciated but please understand I can turn the thing on and that is as far as my knowledge goes.

Dozer

Last edited by Dozer on Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed a word!!)

Dozer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2012-11-28

Back to top Go down

eqinox 800 in heavy junk area Empty Re: eqinox 800 in heavy junk area

Post  PeterInSa Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:12 am

Suggest these Youtube vids:

Minelab Equinox 800 Learning the Machine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iugcM-iAlQ

Ground Balance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwhnBCTgCKg

And a Refresher
https://youtu.be/zND_b_ztR8I

As a NewB to the Nox800 I have downloaded them to a memory stick so can just plug into my laptop when in the Goldfields and do not need a modem connect signal.

PeterInSa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2018-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  maurifree Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:32 am

Use standard factory settings. Gold2 mode with Iron reject on. Suggest 6" coil. Only dig the numbers above 4. Ground balance manually often. Look for the solid repeatable sound as junk will give chirps that cut off as the discrimination kicks in. Set sensitivity as high as possible and go fairly slow. Use FE2 discrimination if you have the latest software installed on the Nox otherwise just FE. It will find the tiniest piece at about 3" with no problem.
maurifree
maurifree
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2018-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterInSa Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:46 am

Thanks for the info maurifree, have just purchased a 6 inch coil so will see how it goes.

PeterInSa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2018-11-05

Back to top Go down

eqinox 800 in heavy junk area Empty Equinox in heavy junk

Post  Dozer Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:09 pm

maurifree wrote:Use standard factory settings. Gold2 mode with Iron reject on. Suggest 6" coil. Only dig the numbers above 4. Ground balance manually often. Look for the solid repeatable sound as junk will give chirps that cut off as the discrimination kicks in. Set sensitivity as high as possible and go fairly slow. Use FE2 discrimination if you have the latest software installed on the Nox otherwise just FE. It will find the tiniest piece at about 3" with no problem.

Really appreciate that Maurifree.
I took it to another area that i know of, downstream from a VERY rich shaft and the old boys camp. Zillions of bits of rubbish and some very nice specimens have been found. Weather beat me but I see what you mean about it chirping. Sounded like a bloody politician getting told there were no more perks.

Too late to do anything today so it will have to be next weekend now. I will let you know how I go.
Dozer

Dozer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2012-11-28

Back to top Go down