Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SD Series Vs Gold Bug Performance in Ironstone areas

5 posters

Go down

SD Series Vs Gold Bug Performance in Ironstone areas Empty SD Series Vs Gold Bug Performance in Ironstone areas

Post  Brendann Sat May 28, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am new to metal detecting and have just bought a gold bug 1 with a 6 and 10 inch coil. On a recent prospecting trip I came across several targets in the bush that I believed to be really good signals. Unfortunately they all turned out to be hot rock (ironstone) I decided to do a little testing and placed a very small piece of lead (used as a substitute for gold) in the ground and could hear the difference between my little ironstone rock and the small piece of lead. The lead having the sharper sound. The test was done in close proximity to the surface. My concern is that for a deeper target I may not be able to distinguish the difference between gold or ironstone (or perhaps I just need to tune my machine better?) I am well prepared to dig lots of false targets but I guess I'd rather use my time more effectively if possible?

My question - I have been reading all of the posts in the forum about PI detectors with interest and am considering first starting with a SD2000 or similar to build on my skill. If I was to purchase such a machine would I have the same problem to some extent as described above?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks
Brendan.

Brendann
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-05-28

Back to top Go down

SD Series Vs Gold Bug Performance in Ironstone areas Empty Re: SD Series Vs Gold Bug Performance in Ironstone areas

Post  Rwork Sat May 28, 2011 11:00 pm

Brendan,I found that the early sd minelabs with a small coil would sound off on hot rocks all the time.I don't seem to hear them now with the later machines.You will get to know which rock is likely to be the one sounding off and kick it out of the way without stopping.Something like the 35 with plenty of Acc.that was just sold here would be far better than the old 2000.I know they were great in their time but that was a long time ago.

Rwork
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2011-04-20

Back to top Go down

SD Series Vs Gold Bug Performance in Ironstone areas Empty Re: SD Series Vs Gold Bug Performance in Ironstone areas

Post  kon61 Sun May 29, 2011 12:45 am

G'day Brendann.Welcome to the Forum.
All VLFs will struggle in handling hot ground to some degree or another,more so as the frequency(KHz) of the machine is increased,as well as lose depth as ground gets hotter. As stated by Rwork,forget about using monos on an SD2000 over hot ground,or you'll find yourself digging more false target signals than positive ones.As an all round general purpose coil (for the 2000),you'd be far better off using a medium sized DD coil which will eliminate most false ground noise signals.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Mon May 30, 2011 2:52 pm

What kon61 says is very true. I use an SD2200d with a combination of coils, but all DDs. I tried experimenting with the monos and my conclussion is that I will sell them on fleabay. I do occasionally did up a hotrock, but that is VERY occasionally. So with the SDs, stick to the DD coils and you'll be right.
Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

SD Series Vs Gold Bug Performance in Ironstone areas Empty Thankyou for your reply!

Post  Brendann Mon May 30, 2011 7:10 pm

Thank you for all your input!!
I think you have answered my question really well. I have been mad keen on prospecting since I was about 13yrs when dad took me on my first trip armed with my dick smith metal detector. But I have never found a nugget as yet. I have been to the Palmer River twice and various smaller gold fields but with little success. Started out with a Garrett ADS in the 80's but gave up detecting. Went panning and sluicing instead. Recently saw a DVD on detecting with SD's which has really motivated me about detecting again. Think I will do a little more research and save up my pennies and look around for an SD to fit my budget.
From the feeling I'm getting from your response and what I've read on this forum, my little gold bug is probably going to drive me crazy and produce little if any result. I so wish I could find a nugget so hoping this new idea (of mine) might do the trick
Thanks again for all your advice!!!
Brendan.

Brendann
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Mon May 30, 2011 11:08 pm

which area of queensland are you in?
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendann Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi Goldbait, Just saw your message - S/E qld Gold Coast
Brendan

Brendann
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down