Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New GP mods

+24
coreytroy
Kon61gold
russcoit
Qld Sandy
nero_design
Inhere
Leatherpot
alchemist
Dunnart
buck06
Shinegold
Granite
Wantmoregold
MS
echidnadigger
outbackTom
CJ
Ismael
adrian addonas
Detrackozi
Jonathan Porter
YibiDavid
Beer Beeper
Pennyweight
28 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New GP mods Empty New GP mods

Post  Pennyweight Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:00 pm

Hi all,
I have been doing some testing of the latest GP modifications recently and I'm very surprised just how good they are. If they don't surpass the performance of a 4500, they come reasonably close to it. I am convinced that they beat the 4500 when in enhance mode in many situations. Whilst I will have some better videos posted next week, preliminary vids are on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxHf0QDBgRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT4iFsa5BLM

I know they aint perfect and some astute observations have already been made on how to prove things better but hopefully, I will do this in the next week. For those without the budget to buy the best, perhaps a modded GP will take you a lot closer Wink
Cheers, Dwt
Pennyweight
Pennyweight
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

New GP mods Empty Re: New GP mods

Post  Beer Beeper Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:33 am

Would that Mod make a GP 3000 run mono coils quieter to the same point of a GPX 4500 ?

OR what does the Mod exactly do Dwt ?

Do you do the Mods or are they done my Ismael ?

Thanks!

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

New GP mods Empty Mods on GP!

Post  YibiDavid Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi there Dwt, I'd like to know also which GP you have modified- "Please explain" Thanks Yibidavid Razz
YibiDavid
YibiDavid
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

New GP mods Empty Mods for GP3500

Post  YibiDavid Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:20 pm

Sorry Dwt, I did watch the utube video( GP3500) I was impressed & excited ( mind boggles) I have a GP3500, wondering what they will be charging for their mods. Without being too negative towards Minelab, I'm pretty sure this video won't help their cause, we can imagine what it may potentially do to their business, any body else have views on this? What are your thoughts about this video- a must see for all keen detectorists! Yibidavid Razz
YibiDavid
YibiDavid
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

New GP mods Empty 3500 mods

Post  Pennyweight Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:41 pm

Hi Guys,
the Extreme & 3000 also have an extra mod available which smooths out the threshold a hell of a lot. Doesn't make it as smooth as 'sensitive smooth' or 'enhance' on the GPX's but makes using mono's a breeze. The cost is $400 for all 4 mods on an Extreme or 3000 and $375 for the 3 mods on a 3500. Postage is extra. PM me for contact details of the technicians doing the mods, they are in VIC, WA & QLD. The one on the 3500 in the vids was done by Ismael.

The 3 mods I have looked at provide a timing change, a VCO locked frequency range that provides more sensitivity and a clock speed increase on the MCU. All 3 boost depth and sensitivity individually.....together, they show a very notable increase overall... I am guessing 30% or maybe more.

I have yet to try a 4500 against the modded 3500 in standard timings, this will occur this coming week. One thing I am certain of, it definitely equals or beats the 4500 when in Enhance timing (which is what the 4500 is renowned for). The 3500 was very stable when in tracking and not any bother, just like the 4500 was in enhance mode on this spot.

There are a lot of us out there who can NEVER afford a 4500. If these mods bring us all closer to the best machine, it might spur Minelab to bring out something REALLY good. Word is, it's not too far away. Cheers, Dwt
Pennyweight
Pennyweight
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:12 am

Pennyweight wrote:
.................. they show a very notable increase overall... I am guessing 30% or maybe more.

You must be joking Pennyweight? 30%? Seriously? If as you say the modded 3500 has better depth to the point of at least 30% (nigh on 1/3rd more) then that would outstrip a GPX, yet you say this
The 3500 was very stable when in tracking and not any bother, just like the 4500 was in enhance mode on this spot.
The thing is when in Enhance mode the GPX is NOT punching in as deep as the old Normal mode just ignoring the vast majority of ground signal which means targets stand out more compared to the other timings thereby theoretically equaling or attaining MORE depth than previous models or the same depth of that model in Normal timings.

The thing is it is all relative, what exactly does more depth mean? For instance the GPX series will only get similar overall performance to the GP series, however with the GP series you could only use factory pre-set controls, whereas the GPX can be FINE TUNED to suit the given ground conditions something only you the operator at the scene can have input on. So even though the GPX series have an equal theoretical depth to the previous models because of their configurability they can attain better productivity within the parameters of the design, so in some instances the given design can be tweaked to achieve a result not attainable due to FIXED in STONE restriction of the GPs.

Enhance and Smooth are still dealing with the same restraints in other words they can't theoretically punch deeper than the detector as a whole just that it manipulates the information already there and presents it is such a way that the operator becomes aware of a possible target that would normally have been missed.

I would suggest if your modded unit can work effectively and
......was very stable when in tracking and not any bother
then I would say the GPX-4500 would also have performed the same in Normal timings rather than incorrectly use the Enhance timings and effectively hobble the design. The thing is with the GPX you can easily adjust the Gain, Motion, maybe even use the Sharp timings and a whole plethora of other options to suit the given terrain something that your 3500 will never be able to do!

By all means talk about your mods but to offer suggestions of a 30% boost in performance is to my mind misleading forum members and perhaps even doing them a disservice!!

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

New GP mods Empty Money Money Money

Post  Detrackozi Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:33 am

Here we go a again still looking to get money in your pocket so maybe you will be one of the one's that will be able afford a new Machine and were are you finding all the time for this as you stated all your time is taken on your other projects.

If the technicians is not going to put his contact details up for doing the mods then it's not worth the job he is doing but instead hide behind you incase thing go wrong with there machine and this doe's happen.

The best thing these technicians can do is set a fieldday for all that like to come and show how great they are so post a day for all to see.

Members keep your money in your pocket and just save it till the next machine or till you can buy a 4500 I have not had any of my Detectors back to ML and I still go out and find gold and most of all enjoy the outing so don't doudt your Detector just get out and use it as much as you can.

David
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian addonas Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:50 am

Question Pennyweight mate , you have spent a lot of time making vids and promoting the trios mods on all the forums. You are busy answering the many questions and counter views. Just wondering ,are you the marketing manager for this project and directly or indirectly is there a result for you. Question Fair question I thinks given promotion on public forums.

adrian addonas
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Ismael Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:48 am

adrian addonas wrote:Question Pennyweight mate , you have spent a lot of time making vids and promoting the trios mods on all the forums. You are busy answering the many questions and counter views. Just wondering ,are you the marketing manager for this project and directly or indirectly is there a result for you. Question Fair question I thinks given promotion on public forums.

DWT is not affiliated with me or the mods that I perform. He just happens to be a mate and on his own decided to post his results. I could go through all the questions posed here but most have been explained and answered on Finder's Forum here: http://www.finders.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4495 and my forum.

JP is the expert on the GPX and he knows how different settings perform. The only mod on the detector that will increase depth and sensitivity is the Sensitive 2 timing mod. The others offer sensitivity increases but not depth. The aforementioned mod is something that Minelab have in all GP series detector which is normally not selectable and I would hazard to guess this is a setting now implemented in the GPX as a user selectable feature. I do have some mods that will increase gain of the detector by as much as DWT suggested but the problem I have to do this is twofold. I have not thoroughly tested it as yet to see what problems may be apparent on differing ground conditions and the other is that it would be a hard mod that cannot be turned off. As you all know I have a problem with not being able to turn detectors back to standard so I am not happy at present to do this. Making the gain on any ML detector to go deeper than a GPX is easy, making it work in all ground conditions is hard. That is why ML have elected to do my old GPM system on the GPX and that is you can set the gain and therefore get the best out of the ground you are on. To do this on a GP is extremely hard as you would need to set the 4 channels by the same amount and this would require some smart electronics to allow one control to do this. I could easily do this but it becomes a lot of work and expense and under that condition you would be better off to upgrade to a GPX.

I will this season be testing this out in the field with my 3500 and a couple of 3000, we have tested it in Victoria last weekend and hopefully the coming weekend with great results but I unlike others stick my reputation behind the mods and they don't go into a detector unless I am convinced that they work in 99% of all conditions.

Detrackozi wrote:Here we go a again still looking to get money in your pocket so maybe you will be one of the one's that will be able afford a new Machine and were are you finding all the time for this as you stated all your time is taken on your other projects.

If the technicians is not going to put his contact details up for doing the mods then it's not worth the job he is doing but instead hide behind you incase thing go wrong with there machine and this doe's happen.

The best thing these technicians can do is set a fieldday for all that like to come and show how great they are so post a day for all to see.

Members keep your money in your pocket and just save it till the next machine or till you can buy a 4500 I have not had any of my Detectors back to ML and I still go out and find gold and most of all enjoy the outing so don't doudt your Detector just get out and use it as much as you can.

David

I have made that offer, again see Finder's post above. It is easy for some to say save your money and that is good advice, but what if you only go out once and a while and cannot afford or justify buying a new model for $6000+? You all think that us modders are in the same boat of just making money and making ludicrous claims, I can tell you now that I don't care whether I mod a detector or not, I started to do this to help those that fall into the category above, and I back any claims I make with my reputation and any test you please. I stated on Finder's and my own forum, in NO way do I claim that the mods will beat a GPX detector. Others have made this claim not me!

As far as contact details are concerned 90% of the forums around the globe know of my mods and I NEVER advertise them on forums especially when it goes against the rules of advertising. All advertising and information starts on my Site that site is in all my signatures on all forums. I do answer posts like this one where there may be misinformation or claims that people may interpret as being mine.

I like posts like JP's and others that see errors in tests or claims that are made. I also like criticism when justified. My only claim that I make with concern to the GP mods is this. The modded detector will outperform the unmodified detector of the same series, nothing else and as I have said previously the only time I have made claims that relate to a different detector model is with the SD2000GPM where I offered a money back guarantee that it would beat or equal a GP Extreme. I never had to give a refund! That in itself speaks of how I back my mods. Tell me (if you can) ANY company even Minelab that would be prepared to make that claim! Minelab should! after all wasn't the claim of 80% increase in depth over an SD detector with the then new GP Extreme, to which a lot of dealers lost their dealership due to not wanting to make that claim when they knew it was false? Minelab detectors are the best but they are not unbeatable, I don't know why other companies don't want to compete with Minelab but if we can mod a detector to perform better then I am sure we are not doing anything that Minelab does not already know.

Mod or don't mod the choice is yours, people ask me that question almost all the time and as I see it it depends on your circumstances and whether you want to. After all $375 to mod your GP is not a great deal to lose considering that it is going to cost you at the very least $2000 to upgrade. You could buy a lot of coils, fuel etc for that if you only go out once or twice a year! But if you want the best then BUY A GPX4500 don't mod. Pretty simple isn't it? I never force or try to persuade anyone to mod their detectors just answer the questions posed. Ask anyone that has one of my mods if you doubt this!

That's my rant but please make sure you check your information that you post before you do so.

The answers are in this post but to summarise:

Pennyweight did the test on his own. I had nothing to do with it or the claims made.
I personally don't make any claims that the GP Mods beat a GPX.

Lastly, before I am asked, of course I have to charge for the mods I spend time, effort and parts implementing the mods and If I break the detector I HAVE TO GET IT FIXED at my cost.
Ismael
Ismael
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-11-18

http://www.minelabmods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian addonas Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:14 pm

Wink May all be true Ismael but in the mean time you have PW tearing around the forums stirring up a hornets nest. Could it be any publicity is good publicity Neutral

adrian addonas
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Ismael Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:42 pm

Hi Adrian, in this case it is causing me more headaches than I need Suspect
Ismael
Ismael
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Pennyweight Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:10 pm

Hi all,
dunno whats going on....I posted a reply here this morning and now its vanished! Very strange....hope I am not being gagged confused ???

Anyway, I will try again... firstly, I am not involved with ANY of the modifiers. I receive absolutely NO financial reward from anyone for this. These mods are of great interest to the detecting community and I present the info in the best interests of both forums that I am active in. That is, sharing info....NOT insults or accusations...that crap belongs on Finders! The mod providers are well known, not hidden (let alone behind me!), 2 of them have their own websites FGS! The other advertises in AGG&T magazine.

JP is right in stating that the GPX units are far more adjustable and you can vary far more control over ANY ground types. You cannot do this with any GP, modded or not.
This gives the GPX units a clear edge. But, in the conditions I tested the modded 3500 on, I saw a clear 25%+ improvement in the depths I previously dug targets up at, including with a GPX4500. I reiterate that if you cannot afford the best unit (GPX4500), the modded GP's bring you a lot closer in performance to them. Just HOW close will be seen tomorrow
when me & a mate test his 4500 and the modded 3500 against each other. We will find un-dug targets and cross test both machines with various settings using the same coil. The video will follow.

Hi Ismael, sorry that the vids have given you a bit of grief. I had a hint that the pro-Minelab brigade would start an 'anti-mod' PR campaign soon after the vids went up. Of course, all I wanted to do was present what I saw. I do not offer a biased opinion, just present what I did and what I found. I liked what I saw! Chers, Dwt
Pennyweight
Pennyweight
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:14 pm

PW my issue is not with your mods but your statement of a 30% depth increase without clarification! For instance is the 30% gain across the board or just on your tiny little chosen spot in Victoria on small nuggets? The ground I saw in the vids did not seem that hot to me so should not in fairness require the Enhance timings. I also have to question the mod done to the frequency (although it does seem to hold some merit) but have to ask what is it going to do the balance of the detector with the two channels and the other timings present which are quite specifically designed to interact with each other.

Anyway you can't expect to use detectors you obviously are not familiar with as a juxtaposition for your arguments just to prove your point without being questioned and then flippantly state that all that disagree with you are
..... a hint that the pro-Minelab brigade would start an 'anti-mod' PR campaign soon after the vids went up
or even for that matter suggest the conspiracy theorists have magically gobbled up your response earlier in the day.

Regards

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  CJ Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:18 pm

This should be good dwt. it for sure will rev. up a few people and we can all guess who they [that]will be LOL
cj

CJ
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135

Back to top Go down

New GP mods Empty new Gp Mods

Post  outbackTom Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:52 pm

I agree with you JP, Pw shouldn't make statements he really doesn't know much about!! PW you are always pushing this or that, and every time someone brings you to task you make lot's of excuses and blame everyone else!! You don't own a 4500. What detector do you own? And I don't mean borrow or hire. I'm sorry, I for one don't believe your comments hold much "weight". I'm not sure why the moderators allow some of your self promoting posts to be posted.
OBT

outbackTom
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian addonas Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:04 pm

cj etc cheers ,and those people would be? Those with a balenced view and the ability to question without the need to one line snipe or should I ad er.
You never seem to add much that is constructive in your insane haste to belittle M/L and Mr porter . While he does not need me to stand in his corner, I and maybe others wonder if you are just a stirrer, or perhaps you were deprived of loliies as a kid ? and need help lol youself clown

adrian addonas
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  echidnadigger Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:31 pm

I agree that there may be some wishful thinking with some comparisons made through this thread.
Can we take the comparisons with the 4500 out of the equation and really find out if these modifications actually increase the performance yet maintain the functionality of pre GPX machines across the board?
Prove that point and I am sure there will be people queuing up for modifications.
Brett.
echidnadigger
echidnadigger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

New GP mods Empty GP mods

Post  outbackTom Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:17 am

PW, you have to be kidding us. I have just watched the videos!!
This would be the worst demonstration of how to use a detector I have ever seen.
The statements throughout the videos were to say the least amusing. It takes the best part of 8 minutes to dig and locate a target that is no more that 3 maybe 4 inches down! I don't believe I have ever seen any one dig a target out of the ground the way it is shown on your video. At the rate you dig I doubt more than 10 targets would be found in a day!! I can't believe the way the coil is lifted at the end of each little sweep, and when do you ever sweep your coil down into a shallow hole to hear a target? The target will always be audible at ground level. Most learned operators know that sweeping your coil into a hole will often produce false signals. If this is how you teach your students/clients I feel very sorry for them. The statements you constantly make about the modded 3500 outdoing a 4500 were in no way proven!! We only have your word for it. If you were really serious you would have had a 4500 "correctly" set up being used over the same target all things being equal.
You cannot make wild statements about 4500's being over the area before and having "not heard" the targets. If your demonstration of how to use a detector is anything to go by, I would like to know all the areas you have cleaned out. I'm on my way.
In all honesty and fairness, I believe you should remove the videos from show, they in no way prove the mods out do a 4500 and as far as I'm concerned are misleading and don't show the whole truth and nothing but the truth!!!
You don't as far as I understand, own a 4500, how can you possibly rate one. Borrowing or hiring one for a day here or there doesn't make you the expert, or does it??
OB Tom

outbackTom
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Ismael Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:40 am

echidnadigger wrote:I agree that there may be some wishful thinking with some comparisons made through this thread.
Can we take the comparisons with the 4500 out of the equation and really find out if these modifications actually increase the performance yet maintain the functionality of pre GPX machines across the board?
Prove that point and I am sure there will be people queuing up for modifications.
Brett.

Hi Brett, The mods improve all the GP, see my post to the downsides on finders as I don't want to go through the whole lot again. As I said there most inquiries I get I tell the downside but most by phone so feel free to call.

But to answer your question I also don't like generalisations about beating newer models unless backed up with proof or from someone known to be a good and honest prospector. To this end as I stated in a previous reply, I back my mods by my reputation and check if you like about that. The mods at present do not make a noisy detector quieter, do not make the detector perform less on any targets as far as we have tested at depth the opposite so far has been the fact. I guarantee that the detector will perform better than before the mods. Even if I ever state that it will beat the next generation of detectors It will still be a GP and not a GPX. (I put that because in the past with my money back guarantee with the GPM2000 people thought it would turn a 2000 into a GP Extreme!! What a Face )

Finally the offer is still open I will mod a detector for free for someone that all would agree to be an unbiased tester and you can run whatever tests you like and report the pro's and con's.
Ismael
Ismael
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

New GP mods Empty GP Mods

Post  MS Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:23 am

Hi all, just a bit confused why there is so much negativity towards someone who obviously is a electronics technician and is carrying out testing and improvements on GP units. I think its great and shows initiative and helps out someone like me who has used VLF units for many years and decided to upgrade to a second hand ML GP 3500 and has put in around 40 trips out with only a 0 .2 gram piece of gold for my effort.
I have decided to go with the mods and have sent my unit off to someone to upgrade as I can afford to spend a bit more but are unable to purchase a new GPX.
I don’t care if I don’t get a full 20 to 30 % improvement but if the machine runs a bit deeper and is a bit quieter and easier to pick up signals that I could have missed I will have a better chance of finding something yellow and I’ll be happy.
I have spent heaps on books ,videos , coils and have travelled thousands of KM so I’m happy giving this a go ,I’ll be very interested when it gets back and will compare it against what I had before.
I must admit I would like a GPX but they cost too much and if you don’t have proven gold patches to mop up and cover costs I don’t see how many new people can enter into this hobby with a ML at that level.
I don’t like seeing people who get out there and try to improve something and offer alternatives and even make a few bucks and then get cut down.
I m not successful in finding enough gold to fill a tooth but I’m out there trying and are all ears but I do know one thing and that’s what I think this guy is doing and that’s trying to make improve things and thinking outside the square.
Anyway thanks to all on this forum as its great to hear the views of others and pick up tips
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Wantmoregold Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:32 am

Well said MS and good on the modifiers for their efforts as we all can benifit ibcluding themselves and even ML as Ismael has mentioned the Gain modification he added to the 2000 before the GPX series were released ML then included Gain in these later models be it somewhat different. WMG

Wantmoregold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian addonas Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:44 am

Hello MS .
I think most of us who have followed Ismael’s posts for a while
don’t have problem with his words or work. The heat is coming because of
hasty and unsubstantiated claims made by others whose motives need to be questioned.

You tell us you have driven thousands of K, s over 40 trips for less than a gram. Now that’s being honest. MS you may need to consider finding a mentor or experienced person to help you a bit,
. The 3500 in its unmoded form is a super capable machine
that is still the preferred tool of many top operators. Anyhow I do hope the mods bring you a change of luck. Regards Adrian Smile

adrian addonas
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:50 am

Yes, well said.

I think a lot might come down to jelousy - when you can get a cheaper detector to maybe outperform a more pricey detector with some careful work, and the whole financial outlay is still less, those that paid big bucks for the pricier and less capable machine soon get agitated.

I saw a heavily modified VW Beetle once whoop a Ferrari on the 1/4 mile drag strip by a large margin. The 2.4litre turbocharged flat 4 beetle still cost about 1/20th the cost of the Ferrari but it ate it for breakfast.

Mods are good - keep them coming. Just be sure to scrape markings off those SMD's and IC's and white paint them! Black potting compound moulded over the top is even better! You never know where these modded machines might end up one day. You don't want to be doing a large corporation's R&D for them now, do you Laughing

cheers - trashdigger

Back to top Go down

Post  Pennyweight Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:00 am

Hi guys,
as usual, a few more questions to answer, I will endeavour to answer them fully.
You are right JP, as I stated in my previous post, the 30% I quoted was on the small targets we found in that ground...which is bloody hot! Its very odd to say that ground doesn't look hot when it is nearly black with ironstone Rolling Eyes All detectors moan & groan on it, even 4000's in sensitive smooth and 4500's in Enhance. No, I don't own a 4500...I have NEVER paid more than $3K for ANY detector and I am not about to start. I have perhaps 500 hours up using them though.
As for dishing a coil over a target....clearly a no-brainer Razz When you are digging a target and do it properly, you make a bowl shaped hole, therefore you dish the coil to get a better signal....get it closer to the target to hear it better. Pretty obvious. Digging a small target in compacted ironstone gravel mixed with stiff clay, one handed holding a video camera doesn't take 5 seconds! Tom, if you are one of the 'dig a hole 5 times bigger than you need' brigade, you will never find out just how deep your target was and how well your detector is working. I however, will scrape an inch at a time, until the target is out. When you are trying to find out just how well a new detector is working, you take your time. Again, a no-brainer.

I have another 3 videos made which I will post on youtube today. I had my mate John there with his 4500 and we got a lot of hot spots with it using normal mode and fixed tracking....bloody noisy. Winding back the gain made most of the targets vanish. The external speaker we had for the 4500 died so a video'd comparison will wait until Friday. However, I can state again that the 4500 in normal mode was equal to the modded 3500....all marginal, soft & deeper signals were the same. When the 4500 was in Enhance, the 3500 was clearly better. I got 2 bits of gold (on the video's)
with the 3500 which the 4500 could also hear (in enhance, gain 12, fixed GB) but far less signal response. Another bit I found was right next to a hole I dug a few weeks ago with the 4500. Will keep you all posted. Cheers, Dwt
Pennyweight
Pennyweight
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:20 am

PW Wrote:
I can state again that the 4500 in normal mode was equal to the modded 3500....all marginal, soft & deeper signals were the same.
PW now I'm confused, are you saying the 4500 in Normal timings is now equal to the modded 3500? That doesn't make sense because the 3500 and 4500 are nigh on exactly the same if you use the General Search Mode FP settings, which is Gain on 8, Motion on Slow etc, so this would mean the non modded 3500 would also be the same in Normal timings.

The other thing you need to consider is a target checked in normal timings against Enhance is always going to sound brighter, that is a fundamental part of the design and I feel one of the major mistakes make by operators (Alluvium included), they crank up the Gain trying to brighten the target response but don't realise they also increase overall instability (in fact the increase in instability is far greater than the increase in signal brightness) and then say that SETA does not work because they are suffering from EMI, this is also coupled with the amplification via a booster to a speaker system which is most likely cranked right up too, any wonder they complain. Embarassed

Regards

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:21 pm

Just as a side note to my above comments, "with great power comes great responsibility" in other words Minelab have given you the operator the ability to make adjustments to various controls of the GPX series that were "Fixed in Stone" on the previous detectors. They were fixed in stone for a reason because the fixed positions were optimal for good all round detecting performance in the vast majority of ground types.

If you wish to increase things like Motion and more particularly Gain then it comes at a price because the onus is now on you the operator to make the judgment call on when enough is enough, don't go crying to Minelab because your machine is now noisy when you have the Gain cranked up to the roof, that is akin to wanting your car to drive around a 40 K an hour corner at 200 K an hour just because the car can do 200 K per hour and then griping to the manufacturer the traction control didn't work because you put the thing on its roof. affraid

You can't possibly expect a smooth detecting experience when the Gain is set on 14, especially on a EMI infested day and then blame SETA because of your lack of basic understanding behind the machine or worse yet start blaming Minelab because they've allowed the Gain to be taken to those levels, at some stage you the operator have to start taking responsibility for your own actions or else stick to the factory Pre-sets.

I write this because I am being constantly linked to on another forum with my words being taken completely out of context. These same people then offer advice about using the GPX-4500 in Deep search mode option without clarification about whether they have made adjustments to the basic settings provided by Minelab (as we all know all the Search Mode options are configurable by the operator so suggesting you use one or the other becomes pointless unless you go into detail about the things you have changed.)

Enhance is amazing but it is not the be-all and end-all, in some instances Normal timings are far better especially if you decide to crank up the Gain to the point were the detector becomes virtually useless because you are greedy and are trying to squeeze out juice out of a stone. If you feel the need to crank up the Gain to those levels for Gods sake be a realist and start taking responsibility for your actions rather than trying to cast the blame on everyone else!!

End of rant,

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Granite Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:37 pm

Debates on detector mods has been going on since the early 1980s and will go on forever. I once saw a Garrett Deepseeker modded to the point it was nigh on unusable but the owner reckoned it was far better than standard. The point is, though he reckoned it was great he found very little gold, despite being full time for several years.

The only way to measure any performance on a mod or a new coil is get it out in the field and see how much gold is found. That goes for new model detectors as well.

I have never owned an internally modded detector as I take the view that a large company who spends many millions on R&D knows a damn sight more about its products than a back yarder.

Quite often the mod can cost more than trading in your old machine to upgrade to the latest model without the benifits that come with the new machine. If you upgrade from the last model to the latest the cost is usually about a couple of ounces of gold, and you are getting the latest and best technology.

Minelab detectors have always improved with each new model, some a great deal, others only marginally - but always an improvement that will find you more gold.

Keep fiddling fellas but while you fiddle I'll be out there with the latest machine finding more gold.

Cheers, Jim Wink

Granite
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:17 pm

This makes me feel my GP 3000(late model made Sept. 2004) is inferior now.

How much real performance down or lesser am I on my GP 3000 as compared to a modded one? Or am I fine with the factory stock one I have as is?

I have the GoldButton. I have a fixed Fast Tracking speed. Is there a Medium Tracking speed Mod for the Extreme and 3000?

Thank you.

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Pennyweight Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:44 pm

Hi JP,
looks like you're having a 'home day' as well....thought you'd be out buzzing as well or is it too hot in QLD today? I was hoping to get out this arvo but no chance now....Youtube is taking forever to load.
Anyway, I can't agree more about the 4500 being so adjustable and adaptable, it truly is an operators machine. You are right about both motion and gain being critical. There is a point with both, that when toooo much is cranked up, the instability robs you of your potential targets. In our hot test spot 12 on the gain was too much, 11 was just usable.
We stuck to very slow and slow on the motion speeds and took it very easy.
More testing will be done with more onlookers on Friday with a better speaker too Rolling Eyes

Jim, these guys who have doing the mods are not just 'backyarders'. They are electronics technicians who have been playing with Minelab units for many years. That they have been able to come up with something that TRULY works and makes the GP range (and SD's) visibly much better, is a testament to their 'fiddling'. I still reckon the 4500 offers much more adjustability and adaptability and if you can afford one, go for it! For the rest of us, the mods bring us all a hell of a lot closer.

Beer Beeper, I can honestly say that from our current testing, your 3000 will benefit from the mods to a large degree. I think a tracking speed mod is being worked on
at the moment. Cheers, Dwt
Pennyweight
Pennyweight
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinegold Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:00 pm

Hi pennyweight, I just saw your 3rd clip. Thanks for putting these up, I can't understand why all the negativity. It's better than not having put the clips up in the first place.

In that clip, you dug too fast as you can't tell exactly how deep the nugget was, given it was a demo lol!

You seem like an experienced prospector judging from a few things in the clips, however there IS one thing - if I was going halves with someone and I saw my detecting partner ground balance like that I would slap him Laughing Laughing
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next