Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where to sluice in Victoria

4 posters

Go down

Where to sluice in Victoria Empty Where to sluice in Victoria

Post  i8work Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Hi I was given a high banker sluice with electric pump a few years back, the kids have been hounding me to go camping and use it, could someone tell me a good spot to camp and have a go at the sluice?

Thanks, Andy

i8work
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-04-05

Back to top Go down

Where to sluice in Victoria Empty Re: Where to sluice in Victoria

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:04 pm

Andy how far do you want to traval and how much time do you have in sluicing? Do you want to go camping for a few days or just a days outing? If it is camping and you have a bit of time, I can recommend Reedy Creek Eldorado, you can camp along the creek or stay at the caravan park. From Melb. it would take about 4 to 4.5 hrs but it will be well worth it.

Wombat

Last edited by Wombat on Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:11 pm

James on he's profile next to he's comment it said he's location was Melbourne so I would say that is were he will be coming from.

Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:24 pm

I have no need to check members profiles the thought did not enter my head. so I will take your word on it cheers. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:33 pm

James you don't have to go into he's profils as such, just look on the right hand side of he's message or anyone else message and most times it may tell you were they come from. Yours tells me you come from NSW, Vic & Qld and if you look at mine you well see that I come from Narre Warren. Just a little bit of info for you. Very Happy cheers

Cheers
Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:42 pm

cheers AH yes I see it now. Thanks cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:46 pm

My pleasure James Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Bandito Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:12 pm

There's a Melbourne in the US too.......could be an expensive trip for just the weekend. Very Happy
Bandito
Bandito
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2009-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post  i8work Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:30 pm

Wombat wrote:Andy how far do you want to traval and how much time do you have in sluicing? Do you want to go camping for a few days or just a days outing? If it is camping nad you have a bit of time, I can recommend Reedy Creek Eldorado, you can camp along the creek or stay at the caravan park. From Melb. it would take about 4 to 4.5 hrs but it will be well worth it.

Wombat
Ahh yeah, sorry, should of put my location in the post, that sounds great Wombat, Can show the kids around Kelly country, I'm new to sluicing, do you recomend a spot along Reedy Creek I should try? Also, could you give me a hint for what patch of ground I should look for to put through the sluice or should I just dig some dirt out of the river? sorry I don't know much about this caper.

Thanks Andy

i8work
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:43 pm

Do a test pan on several areas in the creek or on teh bank to see where the majority of gold is stuck up.

Also. somewhere on thsi site (possibly in teh sluiceing area) someone has posted some pdf's to help get you starting in learning how to read a creek... maybe there were on another site.

anyway.... have a good look around this site, you'll find all the help you'll need that has been posted before... but i know members won't mind helping you out if you can't find the info your after
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:31 pm

i8work I was talking to a chap last night (Thursday) that just got back from Reedy Creek and he was telling me that the creek has completely changed with about 7 major floods in the last few months. So telling you of any one particular spot would be impossible. The creek is still flowing on the same line but most of the old sand bars have been washed away and new ones have appeared in new areas along the creek, but that is what I would be looking for, the sand bars. This will be the slowest spot of the flow of the creek when in flood so hopefully this is were the gold will be dropped. As what Goldbait has also said you will have to do a few test pans first to try a fine the line of the gold. We will be up there at Easter staying at the Eldorado Caravan park, so if you come up then I'll be more than happy to show you the ropes. PM me if you are interested.

Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  i8work Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:42 am

Wombat wrote:i8work I was talking to a chap last night (Thursday) that just got back from Reedy Creek and he was telling me that the creek has completely changed with about 7 major floods in the last few months. So telling you of any one particular spot would be impossible. The creek is still flowing on the same line but most of the old sand bars have been washed away and new ones have appeared in new areas along the creek, but that is what I would be looking for, the sand bars. This will be the slowest spot of the flow of the creek when in flood so hopefully this is were the gold will be dropped. As what Goldbait has also said you will have to do a few test pans first to try a fine the line of the gold. We will be up there at Easter staying at the Eldorado Caravan park, so if you come up then I'll be more than happy to show you the ropes. PM me if you are interested.

Wombat

Thanks to everyone that offered advice, what a great community you have here, I’ll take you up on that Wombat, Will just work out with the big boss when we are coming up, I think we will be there Mon or Tue, Thanks very much for the offer, That would be fantastic! Will pm you Saturday as soon as I know what day we will be there.

Cheers, Andy Laughing

i8work
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:52 am

Andy I have found out that the caravan at Eldorado is booked out of powered sites, you may have a chance for non-powered. Beechworth is the same. Try Everton or Wangaratta, or you can just camp along the creek, but you will have to take everything with you including drinking water.
I hope this will help.
Cheers Wombat.

PS I will be marching up at Beechworth on Monday 25th. Anzac Day, and on Saturday at they have an Easter Parade great for the kids.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:35 am

Andy the PDF books referred too are in the General Sluicing & Panning area of this site. The below link should get you there cheers.

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/f40-finding-gold

Back to top Go down

Post  i8work Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Thanks James, I will check them out.

Cheers, Andy

i8work
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Where to sluice in Victoria Empty Reedy Creek Eldorado Victoria Australia

Post  24kt Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:08 am

Hi

Any luck sluicing Reedy Creek Eldorado Victoria Australia ?

Cheers
24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:54 pm

24kt wrote:Hi Any luck sluicing Reedy Creek Eldorado Victoria Australia Cheers

Just a bit from time to time. Cheers

James 101

Where to sluice in Victoria GoldwhenrunninghotSmall
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:34 pm

hard work to get this amount Very Happy

Where to sluice in Victoria Eldorado17nov017

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:39 pm

Murachu wrote:hard work to get this amount Very Happy

Where to sluice in Victoria Eldorado17nov017

Hell yer .... and at times very cold grin.
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:01 pm

ahh when the goin' get tough the tough stay!! cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:29 am

How true mate how true! Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down