Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sovereign GT

4 posters

Go down

Sovereign GT Empty Sovereign GT

Post  adrian ss Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:04 am

Purchased a Sov GT from Cashies that turned out to be faulty; They gave me a 95% refund and said keep the detector..
Had a chat to Minelab who no longer have spares bits for the Gt other than Main boards, so I will let them check it out, who knows, I might get lucky. The refund may cover the rep costs..maybe.

Last edited by adrian ss on Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4367
Registration date : 2015-07-03

ivanll likes this post

Back to top Go down

Sovereign GT Empty Re: Sovereign GT

Post  moredeep Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:32 am

A mate had one, he accidently removed the battery on his while it was switched on and popped a diode, that might be a cause??

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2018-05-23

ivanll likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:18 am

I guess I could open the box and see if there is anything obvious.
I have no way of fault finding the machine, so it may end up in file 13. Laughing
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:53 pm

Well there ya go! Amazing what a squirt of electrolube will do Aye!!.....Working like a  bought one!! Very Happy
    Now all I need is a better upper & lower stem plus a digital  meter bracket.

My ole fav Sov XS Has located more treasure for me than any other machine I have used....Probably coz I have used it more than any of my other tectas Very Happy ..But this GT is no slouch on light weight gold chain and is pinging chains that the Sov ignores or nulls over.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

big fella likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:17 pm

Adrian I used a sovereign for years when I first got into detecting and actually did find 1 gold ring amongst many many items.My mate found a 10g nugget which was quite amazing considering it was pretty difficult unless it had a high silver or copper content.Anyway what a great machine for its time.I did consider a GT because of its improved response to gold then got into serious gold detecting with a 2100.A friend lent me a GT in Inglewood and I did the side of the highway near the van park and junky areas on the side for quite a few coins mainly pennies/hay pennies.Sounds like you got a good deal there on the GT.Old churches and school yards often produce the goods as well as old market grounds and sports ovals on this machine best of luck.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:20 pm

They're a great detector, I've found lots of great stuff with it.
I think I've told the story of my cousin Steve [rip] finding a 43 ounce nugget with his sovereign at Tarnagulla [he gifted me the detector]

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:53 pm

A 43 ouncer!! Wowzers!

My old Sov XS is still a good detector  and it found a 2 oz bit near Wedderburn many moons ago.....Although it did give an iron signal on it.
The GT that I have acquired still has some problems with the Iron Mask feature but aside from that it is working very well.
A quick detect at Pine Island this morning  found a long lost pair of ancient sunnies at a good 18 inches in the river sand. All other items were bottle caps and sinkers. I was trying to work out if the Disc mode Iron mask feature was working correctly....I seems to be stuck in  "iron mask ON".  This actually is not much of a problem because the machine still responds well in this disc mode to quite fine gold chains that I had with me for testing purposes.
    An oldie but a goodie. Very Happy

ML have offered to check the GT  out so I might as well send it for a tune up.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:43 am

Had a GT for a while but didn't get on with the changing threshold tone.
Swapped it with someone that had a Fisher CZ-3D he didn't get on with.
V09

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2009-05-23

adrian ss likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:06 am

Those tones sort of grew on me after a while.
Even though the target conductivity was in the selected disc rejected range, the returning quiet threshold tone would be at the tone for that particular target and so you could decide to dig or not to dig. It is a feature about my Sov XS that I grew to like

The GT is on its way to ML for a check up.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:07 pm

ML have had my Sov GT for about 10 days now and no response yet.?
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:12 am

Sov GT is on its way home in good order. .
ML sent a good explanation of how the tecta works in relation to the Iron Mask feature.
Good Job and great service from Minelab
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

geof_junk, ivanll and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:49 pm

Sov GT is back in my hands waiting for a run at Batemans Bay.
No doubt about Minelab aye....Exceptional service; Now for some, Detecting Camp Fire Very Happy

It is interesting that even though I have a few very up to date tectas , I still get a lot of satisfaction and success from using, the oldies.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

big fella and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:00 am

Went to Batemans Bay with the Sov GT yesterday to give it a try out.
   On to Surf Beach and switched it on to discover that the Audio from the Hp's was pathetically low...Trooped back to the car and got another set that worked fine, then I discovered (after we arrived back home later that day) with the first set After checking the jack and wires etc  that I had left the mono stereo sw in the mono position and never twigged it. ....Sheeesh now I know I am getting old. Embarassed  Sad  

Anyway, in and out of the water the GT performed excellently in all modes. I was a bit unsure of the Silent search mode so I tested the GT on some very weak signalling foil. The result being that even in the Silent Search mode the detector was not going to miss small targets. This mode works well but I still prefer to hear a threshold tone.

Did not find much, mainly b caps, bits of foil and wire and just one 20 cent coin at approx 18 inches in the damp sand.

I doubt that it would be a depth monster in the gold fields due mainly to the fact that the sensitivity will have to be dialed back in the high mineralisation and numerous hot rocks. I have not checked the ground balance range in high iron minerals yet.

This detector is easy to use after you have figured out the Iron mask feature (which I prefer not to use) depth and sensitivity is extremely good. The detector is heavy compared to say the EQ's and vanquish machines but still easy for my now very feeble arms to swing for a couple of hours.    The day was a good one, sunny cloudy around 20 deg C. I was feeling fit for a change. A couple of packets of panadol took the edge of my back and knee pains. Q24

Unit is an oldie but still very very  good. Very Happy
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

big fella, xmas tree and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down