Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

minelab coin detector

2 posters

Go down

minelab coin detector Empty minelab coin detector

Post  joe82 Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:38 pm

hi all, just wanting a bit of info on the soverion coin detector? how to run them using the disc, how to make them run to there best??? any info welcomed thanks joe,

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

minelab coin detector Empty Sovereign

Post  ttrash Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:48 pm

G'day Joe

Are you talking about the sovereign Gt
Blue control box ?

I take it you mean settings to look for coins
ttrash
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

minelab coin detector Empty Re: minelab coin detector

Post  joe82 Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:37 am

hey mate, it has a black control box inbult battery set up DDs I think,its my dads I was just wondering the best way to drive the thing I have never used the disc on it I no it has reasionable depth and the sens on it good, has anyone used it for gold and how good are they in trashy areas?(will mostly be for coins)I have the 5000 for gold it whould be interesting to now to use it to its best, it has the 5 pin coil plug can I use my 5000 coils on it??? cheers joe,

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

minelab coin detector Empty Sovereign

Post  ttrash Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:27 pm

Gday Joe ,
         I still have my Sovereign coin detector , its found me lots
         With its multi frequency , no good on the Goldfield .

If you are  looking for coins

using the discrimination

If you just looking for $1 & $2 , Old coins & some Relics

set the disc. knob to about 9 oclock

notch Knob - leave at zero

Sensitivity - leave in AUTO ( Only change if on the beach )

Threshold , like a GPX , Just audible

By setting it at 9 oclock , It will cut out a fair bit of crap Smile

Anthony

Last edited by ttrash on Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more)
ttrash
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:08 pm

good on ya mate that helps heaps if I drop from 9 down to say 6oclock will I get the silver coins aswell????

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  ttrash Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:21 pm

joe82 wrote:good on ya mate that helps heaps if I drop from 9 down to say 6oclock will I get the silver coins aswell????

No worries Joe

Most Silver coins will come in with disc dial set @ 9oclock

However some coins that have less silver content could be missed

So yes 6 oclock would also be a good idea
ttrash
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:23 pm

also is there a way to ground balance or start and go I think but correct me if im wrong but if I pump the coil it goes quiet (might be me ) and how is the best way to run in all metal mode cheers joe,

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  ttrash Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:14 pm

joe82 wrote:also is there a way to ground balance or start and go I think but correct me if im wrong but if I pump the coil it goes quiet (might be me ) and how is the best way to run in all metal mode cheers joe,

Technically that detector has automatic GB

You can turn it to all metal mode , but once you do , all other settings cancel out Wink
ttrash
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:00 pm

joe82 wrote:hey mate, it has a black control box inbult battery set up DDs I think,its my dads I was just wondering the best way to drive the thing I have never used the disc on it I no it has reasionable depth and the sens on it good, has anyone used it for gold and how good are they in trashy areas?(will mostly be for coins)I have the 5000 for gold it whould be interesting to now to use it to its best, it has the 5 pin coil plug can I use my 5000 coils on it??? cheers joe,

No you cannot use the 5000 coils on the Sov.
The Sov has been my main beach and coin detector for many years so I am happy to help with advise re the sov XS if needed.
Cheers.

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:41 pm

hey man it is the extra sens model I am having a play in the yard as we speak and is working well and good to no about the auto G B thanks mate!!!

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:53 am

as I detected in the new year in the yard and with a lot of testing I cant belive this little detector!!!! I tested a 1 and 2 dollar coin and a 50cent a 2gm and 10gm nugget and a piece of steel and a nail and with the disc set as ttrash mentioned holy crap!!!!!! I could hear all the coins easy at 10inchs the big nugget at 8'' and the 2gm at nealy 6''and the junk was gone not a sound!!!! I put a one dollor coin right next to(nealy on top of ) the old nail and went to all metal heard nothing but crap (coin and steel the same) went to disc and only the coin was heard bloody great toy!!! I am confident when in parks now there will be more coins in my pocket!!!!! cheers joe

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:13 am

joe82 wrote:hey man it is the extra sens model I am having a play in the yard as we speak and is working well and good to no about the auto  G B thanks mate!!!

The XS does not have Auto ground tracking. It is just the nature of the electronics multi frequency that result in the detector being able to handle a wide range of ground mineralisation

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:08 pm

hey mate how do you or how long do you charge the battery pack for as the 240 charger doesn't have any indicator on it? I no from new it needs 10 to 12hrs but how long after a normal days use??? theres nothing I can find in the manual??? cheers joe

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:08 pm

Hmmmm, What is a Normal days use??.......If 5 hours then a 5 or 6 hour charge will bring them up ok If 10 hours then give them a full recharge time..... BUT!

You need to run the batteries flat. They are Nicads (If original Sov XS battery pack)and will develop a memory effect if you repetedly recharge them when they are only partially discharged.
This results in a shortening run time in normal use..You can partially restore them to almost normal by giving them several charge dischare cycles.
My original battery pack lasted 7 years.
I now just use a set of 8 alkalines in 2 x 4 AA battery holders. you will have to get some connectors from Jacar electronics.
Also I made up a pack of 10 NiMh AAs but have decided that I prefer to use the alkalines because The NiMh batts do not fit well in the sov battery compartment.
I also rigged up a 12 volt 2ah gell cell which worked great for about 5 years or there abouts.

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:08 am

cheers mate, I will run it down and then give its full 10hrs? and then if I use it for 2 then charge it for 2 to keep it full??? or keep using it till flat and give it 10 again will the half flat battery effect proformance ? cheers joe

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down