Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ANOTHER GUNNA DO PROJECT ................ONE DAY

4 posters

Go down

ANOTHER GUNNA DO PROJECT ................ONE DAY  Empty ANOTHER GUNNA DO PROJECT ................ONE DAY

Post  hugh62 Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:36 pm

74' model Honda xl 250 motosport  with about 14,000 k's on the clock ,bit of surface rust on her ,but should restore up okay . Always wanted one of these when they came out ,they where all the rage then  Smile This one was given to me .                                                                      ANOTHER GUNNA DO PROJECT ................ONE DAY  P8170010
M  ANOTHER GUNNA DO PROJECT ................ONE DAY  P8170011
      Another toy in my shed ,handy little lathe ,swinging mast for machining / drilling etc ,Chinese made ,but had for well over20 odd years !! did a lot of work with it once ,yeah I know ,needs a good clean up Embarassed
                 ANOTHER GUNNA DO PROJECT ................ONE DAY  P8260010
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

ANOTHER GUNNA DO PROJECT ................ONE DAY  Empty Re: ANOTHER GUNNA DO PROJECT ................ONE DAY

Post  staples61 Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:44 pm

Nice toys!
Use the bike to get into some good detecting spots.
Make a high banker with the lathe.
I've got a one track mind.
Yeah its gold fever!

Staples

staples61
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-11-29

Back to top Go down

ANOTHER GUNNA DO PROJECT ................ONE DAY  Empty Re: ANOTHER GUNNA DO PROJECT ................ONE DAY

Post  god's money Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:19 pm

Hugh, what a bloody ripper of a lathe, what is the swing on it, it looks like you could turn some big items!

god's money
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2019-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post  hugh62 Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:09 pm

god's money wrote:Hugh, what a  bloody ripper of a lathe, what is the swing on it, it looks like you could turn some big items!

M8 its about 230mm swing ,and about 350 between the centres approx. Its a fixed bed ,burnt/ wore out the first motor on it ,replaced with a 1hp motor . Smile
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:01 pm

Hugh,
You have a great Honda project there waiting, no time like now to get into it. Very Happy

I bought a 1962 Suzuku 125, years ago and gave it an overhaul, ended up a ripper prospecting bike.
It comes with a story, the bloke I bought it from said it was in working order just needed a carby clean because the fuel had dried up.
Evil or Very Mad Mongrel Evil or Very Mad When I began giving it a overhaul I found one of the rocker arms was snapped, piston stuffed. Luckily I remembered where the ahole lived and went back and confronted him.
He was adamant it was working up until he sold it. I pulled out the broken rocker arm and the piston and he became very embarrassed.
Was probably fortunate his wife was standing there with him and she gave him a look that would kill.
"GIVE HIM HIS MONEY BACK!!!!!
At least I walked away smiling but do think it would have been a long time before he was back in the good books...

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  hugh62 Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:28 pm

No the old Honda's only going to be a restoration project fella's .Nightjar I remember them ol Sukuki's 75 & 125'S  , still got burn scars on my legs when I dropped them when I was a kid ,thou I think you meant to say connecting rod / conrod ,rather than ( rocker arm ) as if my memory serves me right ,they where all 2 strokes  Exclamation   To big & fat & soft nowadays for 2 wheelers  Rolling Eyes This is my preferred mode of transportation when i'm out prospecting ,   Very Happy Can am 800 v twin ,usually carry box on front for coils etc ,back luggage rack for water ,tyre mending gear ,1st aid etc ,UHF  in box near handle bar ,and that frame on the ground clips onto the back to carry either 20 litres of fuel or water if i'm wanting to do some Loaming  Smile Also a few times towed a 7 by 4 box trailer carrying wash dirt / dolly material .Speed limited to a 110km/h if so desired  Razz   ANOTHER GUNNA DO PROJECT ................ONE DAY  P8270010
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  god's money Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:42 pm

hugh62 wrote:
god's money wrote:Hugh, what a  bloody ripper of a lathe, what is the swing on it, it looks like you could turn some big items!

M8 its about 230mm swing ,and about 350 between the centres approx. Its a fixed bed ,burnt/ wore out the first motor on it ,replaced with a 1hp motor . Smile

Hugh, can you do milling with it?

god's money
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2019-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:25 pm

Hugh, It is definitely 4 stroke, have other photos somewhere here. May have sent one to GM showing Gold wheel and Suzi is in the background?

ANOTHER GUNNA DO PROJECT ................ONE DAY  Suzuki10

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:36 pm

Found this old timers dryblower out in the scrub, have often dreamed about why I didn't go back with a trailer and bring it home to restore it.

ANOTHER GUNNA DO PROJECT ................ONE DAY  Dryblo10

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hugh62 Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:41 pm

god's money wrote:
hugh62 wrote:

Hugh, can you do milling with it?

Gods money yes you can mill with it , its a swinging mast , variable speed adjustment up top ,I think I did do some milling with it ,had to make up a frame off the lathe bed to hold the job , but for the rest of the time it was just used as a bench drill Smile
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hugh62 Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:58 pm

Nightjar wrote:Found this old timers dryblower out in the scrub, have often dreamed about why I didn't go back with a trailer and bring it home to restore it.

ANOTHER GUNNA DO PROJECT ................ONE DAY  Dryblo10

Nightjar ,yeah I think I recognise that bike now ,but i'm sure it was later than 62' maybe 72 or even 82 scratch

Aww crikey I've never come across one of them in the scrub , jeez you would of had your hands full there Razz What do you reckon they used for a blower ?
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down