Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gunna from S.A

3 posters

Go down

Gunna from S.A Empty Gunna from S.A

Post  Gunna Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:55 pm

G'day all, although I'm new here on this forum I have been interested in prospecting for decades, i'm 58. I live In Maitland S.A.
Back in May I had the opportunity to travel to Wedderburn Victoria with my brother in law and a friend of his towing a little Songbird caravan.
It was actually my first time detecting on a gold field and was fortunate enough to be able to use my brother in laws SDC 2300 I love that machine. He was using his 5000 and picked up a nice specie in quartz. During the week I was able to pick up 7 little bits (plus a lot of shot, foil and tacks) very very small .64 gram total but they are my first and I was happy but now I am well and truly hooked. I was also very fortunate to meet Mick B. really nice guy who had recently found a rather large nugget 87 oz we all had a few beers and a few laughs. All in all I had a ball and will return there one day, but with my own SDC 2300 just need the $ and my pick I just made.

I am presently reading through Gold and Ghosts by D. SW. de Haveland vols 1 & 2 which was lent to me, dam interesting.

Cheers Pete
Gunna
Gunna
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-06-17

Back to top Go down

Gunna from S.A Empty Re: Gunna from S.A

Post  kon61 Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:12 pm

Welcome to the forum Pete. Yep,the De Haveland Gold & Ghost Books,are an invaluable source of information,in search of WA's gold fields,It's just that they're over 30 years old in the making and  a lot has changed since then. So be careful when looking for that old hut/ruins/windmill,just over the next hill,or you might find yourself tumbling down an open cut mine. affraid  Q35

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Gunna from S.A Empty Thanks Kon

Post  Gunna Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:50 pm

Probably won't be going to the West anyway, I do understand what you are saying though. Just the information and the way the old timers used to find the gold and what they went through, geez they did it tough compared to us today.
Gunna
Gunna
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-06-17

Back to top Go down

Gunna from S.A Empty Re: Gunna from S.A

Post  Grandfather Johnson Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:17 pm

Your right there mate, you have to dips ya lid to them. Cheers Bruce

Grandfather Johnson
Contributor Plus