Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best pinpointer for nuggets

+2
Kon61gold
Curley
6 posters

Go down

Best pinpointer for nuggets Empty Best pinpointer for nuggets

Post  Curley Mon May 27, 2019 3:05 pm

Hi all,
May I please get everyones opinion on what they think the best pinpionter on the market is for gold prospecting.
I'm crap at locating targets with the 7000 and want to minimise digging and frustration. Not to mention I have damaged a few nice nuggets from an errant pick swing Rolling Eyes
Cheers in advance.
Curley
Curley
Curley
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-11-16

Back to top Go down

Best pinpointer for nuggets Empty Re: Best pinpointer for nuggets

Post  Kon61gold Mon May 27, 2019 6:38 pm

Curley, there are several more than capable pinpointers out there best suited to mineralized ground. One of the best I'v come across is the Garret A/T Pro (orange coloured one). The newer Fisher F pulse pinpointer, is pretty much on par to the Garret when it comes to pinpointing gold in mineralized ground, but In quiet ground the F pulse will surpass the Garret in depth. Both pinpointers have adjustable levels of sensitivity/gain adjustable to suit the mineralized ground conditions your working in, with the Garret having the advantage of being able to handle saturated salt water conditions also..

Cheers Kon.  T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4500
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Curley Tue May 28, 2019 10:30 am

Thanks for the reply Kon, do you know much about the Minelab pro find 35? I saw a air demo of one a couple of years ago and it didn't look too bad, but as we all know air tests are not in situ real life scenarios.
Cheers
Curley
Curley
Curley
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GemQ Tue May 28, 2019 4:58 pm

Curley,

This is a test I did with a few of the pinpointers. I prefer the Minelab 35 on the gold.

GemQ
GemQ
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2012-12-24

https://www.youtube.com/user/GemQ1?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Curley Tue May 28, 2019 5:53 pm

You beauty GemQ, thanks very much for that, most informative. cheers
Cheers
Curley
Curley
Curley
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Tue May 28, 2019 6:39 pm

So many videos showing prospectors wasting time using a pinpointer, there is a coil on the end of your detector shaft that found the target so why not use it to pinpoint and save time and money.
With a little practice it becomes very simple.
My mate mentioned he's watched many videos and he said it was plain to hear where the target was and they were digging in wrong place, totally agreed.

Last edited by Nightjar on Tue May 28, 2019 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Tue May 28, 2019 6:41 pm

Thanks for putting up a video & explaining the differences between those pin-pointers GemQ
Curley, although I also own a Minelab Pro Find 25, I'v never had the privileged of using a Minelab Pro Find 35, nor ever seen one performing under live circumstances (over mineralized gold ground conditions over gold nuggets) but must say, I have to agree with GemQ on the Pro Find 35, only because of its iron discrimination capabilities.
Mind you fellas if its after the pinpointing of coins you're after in benign or low to very low mineralized ground conditions, you'll find the Fisher F Pulse will beat the Minelab Pro find on depth chasing coin/artefact.
Peter, that's what I thought for a long time too (no need for a pinpointer) but as curley states and as I myself have found out over time, it has saved me from ruining a good looking nugget/coin or artefact, by a pick blow where it should have not landed, greatly devaluing a valuable coin/nugget find.
Unless using the smallest of coils for pinpointing positive targets, as far as I'm concerned now, there is no substitute for a good pin-pointer, precisely pinpointing where the target is located, giving one the best chance of an undamaged target recovery.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4500
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Curley Wed May 29, 2019 12:02 pm

Ok so after all that I'm going to settle on a Minelab Pro find thanks to a really good salesperson.
Nightjar, i've never had too much trouble pinpointing except with some really deep targets. Enter the 7000. I have no trouble locating targets with the coil, but pinpointing, well that's a different kettle of fish! It's no Fisher Gold Bug II.
The less I have to dig the better especially when I'm down a foot and dig past the target or worse, hit it!
I'll try to dig out a photo (no pun intended) of a good nugget that I.....scored (pun intended) Sad
Cheers
Curley
Curley
Curley
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Thu May 30, 2019 1:25 pm

Another factor that has to be taken into account , is that us older guys have hearing problems . I have a Garrett black pro pointer , never found any gold but was a help finding coins in the grass .
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  koeh Thu May 30, 2019 3:35 pm

Nightjar wrote:So many videos showing prospectors wasting time using a pinpointer, there is a coil on the end of your detector shaft that found the target so why not use it to pinpoint and save time and money.
With a little practice it becomes very simple.
My mate mentioned he's watched many videos and he said it was plain to hear where the target was and they were digging in wrong place, totally agreed.

The same thing goes with scoops, most people have no idea how to locate a target with the coil,10 scoops later and we have it in the scoop, are people too afraid to get their hands dirty, I can’t stand people using scoops
koeh
koeh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Thu May 30, 2019 4:54 pm

Scoops are good on the beach ,  you need to recover the  coin or item as quick as possible .  They need to be of thin metal , to cut easy into the sand .   I  have flicked coins out of the  back of the scoop  , when over full .

I have watched people spend 5 - 10 minutes to recover 1 item on the beach .
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down