Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to prospecting

+5
DaddyD
Travelergold
adrian ss
moredeep
Jazz
9 posters

Go down

New to prospecting Empty New to prospecting

Post  Jazz Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:34 pm

Hi all
Just purchased a new Minelab gpx4500 also got a 12x8 evolution nugget finder coil have been out couple of times found couple of bullets which is good sign they say thing is I’ll pick a place like Whipstick go in get set up yep sweet as start detecting look up ohh looks good over there walk over detect again for couple min look up that’s the spot lolll before u know it it’s time to go home then I did the training with miners den and thought everything I was doing was wrong it is what it is maybe it was redbull but all good I enjoy prospecting will be going back every weekend but would like to thank you all for sharing all your knowledge thanks

Jazz
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2019-04-14

Back to top Go down

New to prospecting Empty Re: New to prospecting

Post  moredeep Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:20 pm

Welcome to the forum jazz,good luck with it all,the whipstick can be a frustrating place lots of hot rocks/iron stone, can drive one a bit silly.
you'll get to know the different sounds out there.
looking forward to seeing your first bit of gold.

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1853
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Jazz Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:30 am

Thanks moredeep

Jazz
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:01 am

Well You have a good detector. so use it properly.
Low and slow is the key to finding gold with any detector, even more so with a PI.
Don't ricochet around like a bullet bouncing of the rocks, search systematically in areas where the gold was close to the surface. Do the mullock heaps and areas just on the outer edges of the diggings. Gold does not leap out of the ground and scream at you so listen for the quiet mellow signals and don't think all strong signals are lumps of rubbish that have been left behind by other detectorists....Big mistake, huge!. Be patient, and persevere. Gold is pricey because it is desirable, there is not much of it and it is difficult to find.

Last edited by adrian ss on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4328
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Travelergold Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:51 am

Adrian, you gave the best info for everybody, low and slow cannot be stressed enough. And getting in tune with your machine and hearing those very faint targets. Dig everything. These things cannot be said enought times. Perseverance will pay.

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2017-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Jazz Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:21 am

Thanks Adrian and travelrgold for your reply I will definitely use your guide this Thursday I’ll be going out again thanks guys

Jazz
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  DaddyD Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:22 pm

Jazz wrote:Hi all
Just purchased a new Minelab gpx4500 also got a 12x8 evolution nugget finder coil have been out couple of times found couple of bullets which is good sign they say thing is I’ll pick a place like Whipstick go in get set up yep sweet as start detecting look up ohh looks good over there walk over detect again for couple min look up that’s the spot lolll before u know it it’s time to go home then I sdid the training with miners den and thought everything I was doing was wrong it is what it is maybe it was redbull but all good I enjoy prospecting will be going back every weekend but would like to thank you all for sharing all your knowledge thanks
give you all a secret when you are out In gold bearing area if you see a eucaliptacus tree collect the fallen leaves they contain gold

DaddyD
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2020-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:43 pm

G'day DaddyD

Lets cut the jargon out here hey?
Yes, it is a well known fact that eucalyptus trees found growing within designated gold bearing localities, to carry microscopic particles of gold within their leaves, but at an approximate average of 46 parts per billion ( +/- 0.000005 % per 20 leaves in weight).  Now how bout you telling me, how many eucalypt trees one needs stripped bare of their leaves, before amassing 1 gram of gold in weight? Laughing What's next, termites? Shocked Q35

Kon T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4500
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  DaddyD Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:13 pm

I have talked to several prospectors that have found much gold in the leaves it's just another source of gold just to play around with plus you have the satisfaction of making the area more presentable which is also a part of responsible prospecting

DaddyD
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:07 pm

Welcome to the forum, Jazz.  Lots of information in the various topic links to keep you busy Very Happy
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:55 pm

DaddyD wrote:
Jazz wrote:Hi all
Just purchased a new Minelab gpx4500 also got a 12x8 evolution nugget finder coil have been out couple of times found couple of bullets which is good sign they say thing is I’ll pick a place like Whipstick go in  get set up yep sweet as start detecting look up ohh looks good over there walk over detect again for couple min look up that’s the spot lolll before u know it it’s time to go home then I sdid the training with miners den and thought everything I was doing was wrong it is what it is maybe it was redbull but all good I enjoy prospecting will be going back every weekend but would like to thank you all for sharing all your knowledge thanks
give you all a secret when you are out In gold bearing area if you see a eucaliptacus tree collect the fallen leaves they contain gold

Give you a secret mate. Every square mm of Australia is covered in eucalyptus trees.... If you did a bit of research you would have known that plus it is common knowledge here that there is gold in certain plants eucalyptus trees/leaves being one of them.......Gold can be found in all Australian States and Territories. I have even panned it from dirt in my back yard here in Canberra.

Don't start stuffing eucalyptus leaves in your wallet, however. The average concentration of gold in the leaves was only about 46 parts per billion, less than 0.000005 percent of each leaf by weight.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  DaddyD Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:13 pm

Already knew that did my research it was just a suggestion don't always go buy statistics they are never accurate do your own research sometimes the results will surprise you

DaddyD
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:27 pm

I wish you good luck if you come out to the Aussie gold fields....

Last edited by adrian ss on Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:11 am; edited 4 times in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  DaddyD Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:33 pm

Coming next year gold has my name on it and I will find it

DaddyD
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  DaddyD Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:33 pm

DaddyD
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  DaddyD Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:34 pm

DaddyD
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  DaddyD Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:34 pm

DaddyD
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:59 am

Calm down DaddyD, keep your cool. We got your message the first time round.
When any member on here puts up a questionable post, Its normal to expect a reply to ones write up in return. This is how we all learn from one another.

Kon. T25

Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4500
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

adrian ss and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:12 am

Watch out for the Drop bears DaddyD....They like overseas tourists.  Especially those who pinch leaves from the eucalyptus trees.affraid

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2013/04/drop-bears-target-tourists-study-says/
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  staples61 Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:50 am

Adrian,
Just a question, since drop bears also eat eucalyptus leaves to supplement their diet when there is a shortage of tourists.
(As is happening now due to covid.) Should we start hunting drop bears as a new source of the good stuff?
I've been locked up for a while now and my mind is starting to wander outside the box.

staples61
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post  DaddyD Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:04 am

Ha Ha Ha we all do that from time to time but one thing I learned from living in the United States and going to Canada bear meat is tender and good to eat

DaddyD
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:29 am

staples61 wrote:Adrian,
Just a question, since drop bears also eat eucalyptus leaves to supplement their diet when there is a shortage of tourists.
(As is happening now due to covid.) Should we start hunting drop bears as a new source of the good stuff?
I've been locked up for a while now and my mind is starting to wander outside the box.

Naaah! leave them alone and they will be really hungry for the "Odd" tourist or or two.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:31 am

DaddyD wrote:Ha Ha Ha we all do that from time to time but one thing I learned from living in the United States and going to Canada bear meat is tender and good to eat

You will also have to watch out for the bird eating spiders....They don't just eat birds. Laughing ....I shot one once, big bugger he was. pale
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  DaddyD Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:48 pm

Ha Ha Ha that is why I am always hearing beware of your surroundings

DaddyD
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:55 pm

good advice.
We don't have cuddly grizzly bears, or mountain lions here, I think the Drop Bears got em a long time ago.  Very Happy
  There is still the occasional Big Foot, black panther, Bunyip and Min Min light sighting and there are a couple of UFO hot spots in the Out Back. Also a significant number of prospectors have gone missing in the desert over the past few years. Disappeared without a trace. They were not tourists though so ya might be alright.
   Have an Epirb, Sat phone and a few Mars Bars n,plenty of water and ya should be good for a day or two. Laughing An AK-47 would be handy for the wild dogs when they come into the camp. The wild camels don't come into your camp, they go through it. affraid
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

bfloyd4445 and moredeep like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  bfloyd4445 Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:05 pm

adrian ss wrote:good advice.
We don't have cuddly grizzly bears, or mountain lions here, I think the Drop Bears got em a long time ago.  Very Happy
  There is still the occasional Big Foot, black panther, Bunyip and Min Min light sighting and there are a couple of UFO hot spots in the Out Back. Also a significant number of prospectors have gone missing in the desert over the past few years. Disappeared without a trace. They were not tourists though so ya might be alright.
   Have an Epirb, Sat phone and a few Mars Bars n,plenty of water and ya should be good for a day or two. Laughing An AK-47 would be handy for the wild dogs when they come into the camp. The wild camels don't come into your camp, they go through it. affraid

Wild dogs are definately something to be wary of. I wasn't aware they were a problem in Australia untill now. I've spent lots of time in widerness areas of the Pacific North west of the USA and there are lots of bears lions coyotes, wolfs are making a come back none of which are a problem but dogs are. Dogs have lived with man for thousands of years and I'm told that is the reason for them when in pacvks a real threat. Moist states in the west its shoot on sight any unattended dog.
Gold is every where. A few years back in Ca. a guy thats hunts the same area each year had been putting up with a rock he kept tripping on going in to his stand in the dark so he decided to remove it. Turned out to be a very large hunk of gold in rock he sold for around 3.5 million US dollars. This was about 20 years ago but the fact is you never know where you will find it and you can't find gold unless you look for it.
Best of luck to all cheers
bfloyd4445
bfloyd4445
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2015-05-17

Back to top Go down