Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UV Index Levels

3 posters

Go down

UV Index Levels Empty UV Index Levels

Post  adrian ss Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:56 am

Interesting that the UV index readings that I take regularly every day have been reading low (1.5 to 2)when the sky has been clear and temps around 40 over Canberra during the past few days. Also I have been working outside off and on during this time and have not been getting sunburnt??
So is the sun depleting in UV??
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4328
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

UV Index Levels Empty Re: UV Index Levels

Post  adrian ss Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:51 am

UV index is still only below middle of the road intensity.
09:45 sun at approx 50 degrees high, clear sky and outside temp is 37.5 and UV index is only 3 (out of a range of zero to ten) with ten being extreme uv intensity.

In other years at around this time and sun elevation I have seen readings at 7....So where has all of the uv gone??

The next reading will be with the sun directly overhead.

I can see that everybody is waiting in absolute awe for these observations. So while waiting , have a couple of Q11
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:11 pm

OK at mid day with sun near on directly overhead and clear sky and temp at 38 uv was 5. Still far from extreme but high enough to give you a burn if you stay out long enough.

HMMM. 14:30 a few brocken clouds about temp still 38 and a bit and uv is down to 3.5.
So where is all this extreme uv that Australia is supposed to be bathed in? It sure isn't over Canberra. Maybe it is all down South closer to the South Pole and all the big ozone holes.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Interesting stuff.
They quote a reading over here of 12 + in summer so must be using a different scale..
Still, your readings show a low level.
Probably another con to try and scare us along with global warming.
I see they want us to put on sunscreen every day as soon as we get up in the morning.

I rekon skin cancer is more diet/lifestyle related. Add all the chemicals in soap, shampoo etc and over showering and our skin is getting attacked a lot more than by the sun.
Alan WA
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:35 pm

My meter will read above 10 but I have never seen it go that high. 10 is rated as extreme and I sure would not go out side if the levels were that high.
    I agree that showering every day washes away all of the good stuff that protects our skin from attack by uv and bacteria and germs etc.
An interesting survey was carried out a long time ago  in the Uk/London on  homeless and other street people who almost never washed and it was discovered that a high majority had never been sick or had a cold or flu.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Reg Wilson Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:03 pm

"Too much bathin' weakins a man"..... Life gets tedious don't it.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down