Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has any one been out to Sofala or Hill End recently

+2
nebo
Show Me The Gold
6 posters

Go down

Has any one been out to Sofala or Hill End recently Empty Has any one been out to Sofala or Hill End recently

Post  Show Me The Gold Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:55 pm

Just wondering how much water or how dry the turon is atm.
Show Me The Gold
Show Me The Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Has any one been out to Sofala or Hill End recently Empty Turon Water level @ Sofala

Post  nebo Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:36 pm

Here you go.
Latest instantaneous values
Level (Metres) 1.816 13:00 28/10/2018 ↔️
Discharge (ML/d) 3.2 13:00 28/10/2018 ↔️
EC @ 25C (uS/cm) 712 12:00 28/10/2018 ↑
Water Temp(C) 20.1 13:00 28/10/2018 ↔️

nebo
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-09-25

Back to top Go down

Has any one been out to Sofala or Hill End recently Empty Re: Has any one been out to Sofala or Hill End recently

Post  Show Me The Gold Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:29 pm

I take it that those values while interesting none the less are from a dam. Thank you for posting it up but i'm more looking for an eyes on account of the water level around sofala.
Show Me The Gold
Show Me The Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Has any one been out to Sofala or Hill End recently Empty Turon water levels at Sofala

Post  nebo Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:54 pm

There is no dam in the Turon River.
The information is real time water data provided by Water NSW on a daily basis from the metering site just upstream from the road bridge at Sofala.

nebo
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-09-25

Back to top Go down

Has any one been out to Sofala or Hill End recently Empty Re: Has any one been out to Sofala or Hill End recently

Post  nero_design Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:02 pm

nebo wrote:There is no dam in the Turon River.
The information is real time water data provided by Water NSW on a daily basis from the metering site just upstream from the road bridge at Sofala.

I was out on the Turon after the heavy rains that hit Sydney in recent weeks and there was barely a trickle of water in the riverbed.  The grass is a little greener due to the rains but there wasn't enough to add to the river system.  Most of the creeks were dry.  Whilst I passed near Sofala, I turned down the opportunity to stay with a friend who I've only recently discovered has a property there and lives in the area.  If the water levels on the Turon near Coles Bridge and Wallaby Rocks were anything to go by, the river at Sofala is barely moving although some bodies of water will be sitting there with some basic movement.  No major flowing water is likely though since there hasn't been any hard rain lately.

Has any one been out to Sofala or Hill End recently Img_4310

I'd suggest that the Turon is as low as it was when we had a peak drought a couple of years ago.  We saw some animals suffering from lack of water.  There was a short downburst while we were out that came down thick but passed just as quickly as it arrived.  The soil was soft between the rocks on the riverbed and also on the banks... so it wasn't bone dry.  The moisture made it easy to dig although the water was slightly lower than when I visited during the peak of the last drought period.  The soil was anything but bone dry and that made it easy to dig. If you're using the river to sluice then there's probably not enough pressure in most places... unless you find a narrow spot where the water is moving with a little bit of force.  If you're panning then there's plenty of bodies of water around in the riverbed.  The Eastern Brown Snakes are out looking for mates right now with a number of intrusions into houses South of Bathurst. We saw a few Red-Bellied Black Snakes near the river that took off when we got close enough.  

Has any one been out to Sofala or Hill End recently Img_4511

Has any one been out to Sofala or Hill End recently Img_4510
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  MacRob Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:24 am

Great report Nero as usual.

MacRob
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2010-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:46 pm

Is the track from hill end to the river still closed?

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin R Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:23 am

If your talking about the Bridle Track from Hill End to Bathurst ,
That will never be repaired as the hill rock fall has wiped out the main understructure of the track

Has any one been out to Sofala or Hill End recently 5x6iq0

Martin R
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down