Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Settings for the 5000

+12
kevlorraine2
pilbaraprincess
Nugget Meister
redback
Jonathan Porter
Alwaysback
Alan WA
Flakmagnet
nero_design
AraratGold
Jigalong
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Settings for the 5000 - Page 2 Empty Re: Settings for the 5000

Post  Jonathan Porter Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:55 am

Flak all questions are good questions. Cool Generally I find it is far better to keep the detector stable especially from an audio point of view. The bulk of the power in a GPX 5000 or any of the Minelab PI detectors is in the timings followed by the ability to condition the audio to suit the conditions. So first the operator needs to select a timing that will compliment the ground type to achieve maximum performance, then they need to select the RX mode to suit the coil, in the case above I have elected to use the Cancel mode due to interference created by power lines, understanding how the Cancel mode works I also know I can effectively run the Fine Gold timings which gives me incredible sensitivity to fast time constant targets without the hassle of interference, yes there is a trade off as Cancel mode is not a deep seeking option but in this case we have no choice so I am targeting a specific type area where depth is not the key issue.

Because Cancel mode runs so quiet we can use the Gain and the Stabilizer functions to lift or brighten the signal response to help make targets stand out more, generally the Gain setting will do this more effectively but a combination of both is probably more desirable, so only lift the Gain slightly and elevate the Stabilizer or various combinations of both until you are happy with the response relative to noise.

I feel the XP coil in XP mode in combination with Mono mode has slightly more depth compared to Cancel mode and yes I have used my 16" NF XP coil with reasonable success, but for the settings above have found the Commander 11" DD to be best for outright sensitivity to small targets in shallow highly mineralised ground near power lines.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Flakmagnet Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:47 pm

JP,

Thank you. Very helpful.

Flak
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Settings for the 5000 - Page 2 Empty cuban soil problem with gpx5000

Post  cuban estaban Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:16 am

Hi i recently took a gpx5000 to cuba for a friend, Cubans aren't allowed this sort of equiptment and with limited access to the net it is nearly impossible to get help for it. i am acting as middle man for him. The problem is the amount of iron particles in the soil, even the pinpointer bleeped constantly wherever it was touched on the ground, we couldn't make the 5000 quiet at all, it was constantly noisy. Can anyone suggest the maximum reject settings for him to try. is it even possible with the 5000 to set up on this type of ground when the pinpointer couldn't find a quiet spot. Thanks everyone, best regards Estaban

cuban estaban

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  xenon Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi all,

It has been a couple of months since the last post regarding settings for the GPX5000. Was just wondering whether people are finding the suggested settings are working for them or whether they have some variances to them. I realise that it all depends in which part of the country you detect as to which settings work best for you, but surprisingly this thread has gone very quiet.

Being new to the GPX5000, (and the GPX series) I have read and re-read the manual and find the "settings" part of the manual mindblowing. So many different possibilities to play with.
I am off for my first trip with the detector for a week in late April here in WA and hope to try out various settings etc.

A question I hope someone can answer is regarding the salt timings as I hope to give the salt lakes a go for a day. I was hoping not to have to purchase a salt coil if possible as I have already spent to much on coils. Have the stock standard 11in mono and DD, and 15x12 mono, 8in mono and 18in mono, all commander coils. Will these work on the salt lakes with salt settings?

Also the DEEP setting is I assume for getting max depth. Partly why I purchased the 18in (along with a hipstick Very Happy ).

Will prob run the machine in FP for most of the time as I am new to these machines and I suppose it is all about "the learning curve".
xenon
xenon
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:48 pm

G'day xenon

There is plenty of good suggestions for settings in a lot of posts on this forum

Here is some info on detecting salt lakes in WA, https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t2682-salt-lakes

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  lukegreen Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:16 pm

do many people run in high minerization custom mode withthere 5000 do a lot of detecting in the pilbarra and find after 9 in the morning machine starts getting very noisy by about 12 I may as well be on a saltlake anyone else have this problem:lol: 

lukegreen

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  slugsbrother Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:04 pm

Can anyone suggest any settings for the Pilbara please?

Lots of Iron Ore in the area.

I seem to be getting a lot of fake signals.

Am using the Commander DD coil.
slugsbrother
slugsbrother
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:51 am

slugsbrother wrote:Can anyone suggest any settings for the Pilbara please?

G'day slugsbrother

I have gotta ask why your using a DD coil, these machines were built for mono coils man.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  slugsbrother Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:41 pm

davsgold wrote:

G'day slugsbrother

I have gotta ask why your using a DD coil, these machines were built for mono coils man.

cheers dave
Hi Dave, I read somewhere that DD was better in a mineralised area, not true?

It seems to find things okay, metal buried around a foot deep etc, but I am not sure if my settings are correct for gold.

slugsbrother
slugsbrother
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  slugsbrother Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:44 pm

I guess not then....
slugsbrother
slugsbrother
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2