Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with 5000. settings

+3
tuner
joe82
goldendream
7 posters

Go down

Help with 5000. settings Empty Help with 5000. settings

Post  goldendream Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:26 pm

Gday all, I just want to ask some advice on a problem I'm having with the 5000 with a brand new 12" evolution coil.(although I'm having the same issue with a brand new 8" Advantage Elliptical ).
Now just to head off some possible causes some might bring up.
No1:.. I air autotune before I start a session. If I feel there is still too much EMI I try various manual settings until I'm satisfied its the quietest I can get it..
No2 : my coil cable is well secured all the way down the shaft with numerous velcro bands, leaving a small arch at the end for the coil to move(swivel).
I have been detecting in Creswick ,Fryerstown and White Swan around and on diggings.
These are the setting I start with ;
FRONT General , Normal,Fixed Mono,.......
MAIN ...General,Fine,(autotuned)
GENERAL Menu; Slow,RX = 11, Audio = Quiet, Audio Tone = 45, Stab = 12, Signal = 14, Tar Vol = 12, Response- Normal, Tracking = Slow, Iron Reject =off.
So off I set trying to detect the heaps around the foxholes and surronds. First I ground balance ,and off I go, but I get signals all over the place.The coil and detector are reacting to everything as if its a legit target. Go to ground balance again ,and again signals everywhere. And just in case your thinking rubbish everywhere,well I have excluded that as this happens everywhere I try to detect in these particular settings ,with this combo of detector and coil.Same things happens with the advantage 8" elliptical. So the only way I have been able to tamp down the false signals that I have found so far is to flick across to ENHANCE.
But here's the thing.I don't want to detect in enhance all the time as I have read a lot ,and seen in videos ,how enhance really cuts down your chance of detecting nuggets.
Can anyone give some direction with this ,and tell me where the problem might lie.Is it my settings.Is there something wrong with the detector . Both coils are brand new so don't think they are the problems.
Appreciate any advise on this.Thanks.

goldendream
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2010-10-08

Back to top Go down

Help with 5000. settings Empty Re: Help with 5000. settings

Post  Guest Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:24 pm

The main problem is that your trying to detect using "Normal" setting, try using "special" and "fine gold" this is what the 5000 is famous for, and the 4500 was famous for the "Enhance" timing.

If you want to use "Normal" where all the ground noise is then you will have to use a DD coil

The both coils your using and Mono coils and unless you are on suitable ground then using the "Normal" timing with the coils you using you will continue the have the same trouble

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  goldendream Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:52 pm

Thanks for that Davsgold. I will try that and see what difference it makes.

goldendream
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:02 pm

im with dave on that one mate if you find quiet ground that will allow you to use normal hook in and try dropping your gain down to 9 and stab to 6 but fine gold is a good choice up here in NQ I can run a RX of 14-15 and stab of 12ish depending on the day always remembering to keep your stab level 2-3 bleow your gain not the other way around

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  goldendream Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:44 pm

I appreciate your advise Joe .I will make a note of that. Hopefully all these tips will bring happier times.Cheers.

goldendream
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  tuner Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:23 pm

lots of powerlines near white swan area nerina
tuner
tuner
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2017-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:33 pm

Powerlines, Shocked This is where smaller DD's come into play.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4547
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hand Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:13 am

yes special and fine gold also tracking medium
Old Hand
Old Hand
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2012-03-31

https://servimg.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ismael Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:18 am

Old Hand wrote:yes special and fine gold also tracking medium

Just a bit of heads up on fine gold on the 5000, it is just that in fact and to be absolutely correct the fine gold timing and enhanced are exactly the same EXCEPT fine gold samples the receive signal earlier allowing it to find a target that it normally wouldn't have heard. Until I got the timings out of the 5000 I also thought it would get deeper gold but that is not the case, not to say it isn't a good timing but just for the smaller pieces. Enhanced is not for deep gold. Hope this gives a better idea of what to expect performance wise.
Ismael
Ismael
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-11-18

http://www.minelabmods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  tony p Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:24 am

Ismael wrote:
Old Hand wrote:yes special and fine gold also tracking medium

Just a bit of heads up on fine gold on the 5000, it is just that in fact and to be absolutely correct the fine gold timing and enhanced are exactly the same EXCEPT fine gold samples the receive signal earlier allowing it to find a target that it normally wouldn't have heard. Until I got the timings out of the 5000 I also thought it would get deeper gold but that is not the case, not to say it isn't a good timing but just for the smaller pieces. Enhanced is not for deep gold. Hope this gives a better idea of what to expect performance wise.

yes....but.....detecting is all about compromise...fine gold/enhance won't give you the greatest depth but the settings that will are completely unworkable....in WA anyway.

tony p
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2018-10-16

Back to top Go down