Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What size caravan is practical for a Hilux?

3 posters

Go down

What size caravan is practical for a Hilux? Empty What size caravan is practical for a Hilux?

Post  Imadogman Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:07 pm

I'm pondering an off road van but wondering what I should be looking for. At present my rig is a 2.8L turbo diesel Hilux that is well set-up for travel, including sleeping.

In practical terms, what size van, length and GVM, would be comfortable behind this vehicle? I've never owned a van before. Any advice based on experience is welcome!

I don't really want to change the vehicle as well...
Imadogman
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

What size caravan is practical for a Hilux? Empty Re: What size caravan is practical for a Hilux?

Post  Guest Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:52 pm

Having started caravanning only last year, I would suggest width is the biggest limiting factor in where you'll be able (or more accurately, unable) to take the van. My van is a proper off-road job, 7'6" wide + annexe arms, and that width certainly caused my to do some "gardening" in WA last year. I have been in some narrow vans, and they don't feel "right" to me ; too constrictive, and you're stuck with N-S beds ; I have an E-W double across the back, above a fairly steeply-raked departure angle chassis. My van's height was also a problem (full height) compared with my mate's pop-top (which got pretty cold due to the lack of insulation). Everything is a compromise.

A single-axle job will be more easily manoeuvred, but a twin axle will ride better. My 16' (internal) van's tare is 2360, and I would prefer less weight, but then I wouldn't have all the luxuries, or sufficient strength for true off-road ability. A galvanised chassis, for instance, can add up to 70kgs Shocked

Apparently on-demand water heaters are now available, which IMO would be better than a storage system, as I have.

Make sure all the under-van wiring is well and truly out of the way.

You can't have too much solar power.

Caframo Sirocco fans are excellent, and draw next-to-no power.

Get a compressor fridge, not a three-way.  No

An external hatch for storing a Weber babyQ is useful.

Get a floor a similar colour to the WA dust ! T20

Get a diesel van heater !!! Cool

Phil

Back to top Go down

What size caravan is practical for a Hilux? Empty Hilux & caravan

Post  ttrash Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:12 pm

After having a van for 5 years & living & travelled in it for 4 years , have seen a lot of vans .

Stephen , what year hilux do you have ?

If it has a tow rating of 2500 kg , you really don't want a van any heavier than 2000kg.
Length wise , if it is a maximum of 2 people ? - 20 ft may suffice .

Whilst car manufacturers tow ratings are " the maximum " rating to legally tow with , being legal is one thing & being safe to tow is another .

GCM is also a key  ( weight of your vehicle + the weight of the van = GCM )

2.8 LTR Hilux  Weights Standard
- Kerb weight (kg) 1575
- Gross vehicle mass (kg) 2810
- Gross combination mass (kg) 5300
- Tare weight (kg) 1550
- Gross trailer weight braked (kg) 2500
- Gross trailer weight unbraked (kg) 750

Probably a key issue more than van size is the weight !
ttrash
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

What size caravan is practical for a Hilux? Empty Re: What size caravan is practical for a Hilux?

Post  Imadogman Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:00 pm

Vehicle is a 2004 hilux.  Twin cab.

What size caravan is practical for a Hilux? Ute_ed10

I checked the (Toyota) tow bar information sticker, or what is left of it, and it says the towbar has an 1800 kg limit (Braked) and 700 kg unbraked.

Towball limit is 180kg.

All this seems to be pointing to something light -- not many bells and whistles!  But would be a big step up from current rig. Smile

As Phil points out, it is all a compromise and there will be no escaping that reality!

Vehicle is basically for one person, perhaps two (the wife!) for short periods of time.
Imadogman
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:46 am

Have you thought about a hard floored camper trailer ?
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:27 am

G'day Steve

I checked the (Toyota) tow bar information sticker, or what is left of it, and it says the towbar has an 1800 kg limit (Braked) and 700 kg unbraked.

Check the vehicle compliance plate, it may well be 2000kg or 2500kg if that is the case you can just update the tow bar to the maximum that the vehicle is rated at.

For example: Our van a Pop Top dual axle Jayco outback discovery is 17.5 foot long weight is 1640kg unloaded and 1980kg loaded.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down