Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One more question on the ferrite.

3 posters

Go down

One more question on the ferrite. Empty One more question on the ferrite.

Post  slimpickens Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:48 pm

Since we don't have a separate ferrite for each goldfield, once you have balanced to the ferrite, why doesn't the Zed remember this calibration? If you go to a new area the Zed is not going to balance any different to the ferrite is it? If the Zed had the ferrite's composition locked in it's brain, then all we would have to do is ground balance to the local soils, without the ferrite, knowing that the Zed has the ferrite type minerals balanced out already.
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

One more question on the ferrite. Empty Re: One more question on the ferrite.

Post  peterinaust Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:14 pm

Good question, funny you should say that! Yesterday I took the Zed down the road a bit away from all the EMI in town, to have a play around with some audio settings.
but forgot to take the Ferrite, oh well I thought I'll give it ago with out. The ground in town is very mild to our gold fields, but the Zed was still in perfect balance, from the gold fields.

So yeah good point.

Peter

peterinaust
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2012-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:09 pm

Ahh Minelab,see what you'v caused by introducing a ferrite for ground balancing?  Would we not all have been better off,given a brand new Coka Cola yoyo instead,so that straight after initial ground balancing,we'd throw in a couple of successful loop the loops & a walk the doggy and off we'd go,happy as Larry? Laughing
Harry,from what I'v gathered using the GPZ,once switched on & ground balanced to the ferrite,it maintains memory of the ferrite ground balance even after being switched off and back on again,until one decides to hit the retune/ground balance procedure. By pressing the reset of retune/ground balance procedure,all past stored memory,of ferrite/ground mineral balance,gets dumped or pushed aside,allowing the storing of new ground mineral/ferrite information during ground balancing.
That's why the GPZ,maintains ground balance to the ferrite,even though the detector is switched off & back on again.
Pete,the reason the GPZ remained in perfect ground balance when switched off and back on again,over a new area/section of ground,was because it was initially ground balanced with the ferrite over an area of higher ground mineralization.By encountering any area with less mineralization,would not have altered the ground balance out of alignment.Had you gone to an area,with higher amounts of mineralization,or variably changing ground mineralization,than the area you first ground balanced over,would have thrown the ground balance out of alignment,necessitating a re-setting of the ferrite/ground mineral balance procedure.

Cheers Kon.Q11
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:25 am

kon61 wrote: By pressing the reset of retune/ground balance procedure,all past stored memory,of ferrite/ground mineral balance,gets dumped or pushed aside,allowing the storing of new ground mineral/ferrite information during ground balancing.
That's why the GPZ,maintains ground balance to the ferrite,even though the detector is switched off & back on again.

Cheers Kon.Q11

Yes, Kon, and for this exact reason, it would be a good idea if the good Professor Candy would permanently lock in the the ferrite calibration in the next software update.

PS. Didn't you get the yoyo? Must have been my dealers local promotion thing. Laughing
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:50 pm

Good question there Harry.I understand what you're saying,that by locking in the calibration of the ferrite permanently into the software,so that we'd have no need for the ferrite at all & it be one less positive,mineral signal to worry about.But,there must be a reason as to why Minelab has not,could not,or should not have incorporated the ferrite signal response,permanently locked into the software,so that we wouldn't have need of the ferrite,during ground balancing at all?  Only Minelab can answer that one? scratch
They jipped me out of the good Coke YoYo's Harry and sent me a Pepsi version instead. Shocked Sad

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  peterinaust Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:32 pm

Thanks Kon, that makes sense.

Cheers Peter.

peterinaust
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2012-01-21

Back to top Go down