Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FAKE 18" COILTEK COIL showed up... (pics & video)

+19
musso
mulgadansa
sandy2010
justadash
Acan
alexei
Undertaker
detecta2
HueyDuck
Narrawa
bencld
fastgold
whatsthetime
artrix
WALLY
Coiltek Manufacturing
deutran
GoldstalkerGPX
nero_design
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

FAKE 18" COILTEK COIL showed up... (pics & video) - Page 2 Empty FAKE COIL PROBLEM SOLVED>

Post  sandy2010 Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:52 pm

With all the controversy over fake coils....I have the perfect solution:
All Trevor has to do at Coiltek is what Pro Hart did on all his paintings in Broken Hill (because there were so many forgeries)...put some of his DNA on each one.............!
Just a thought.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

FAKE 18" COILTEK COIL showed up... (pics & video) - Page 2 Empty Re: FAKE 18" COILTEK COIL showed up... (pics & video)

Post  nero_design Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:17 am

Great idea. But with a 3 month wait on DNA evaluation, you won't know if it's authentic until next season!

Perhaps the use of a chip (like the 'V-Flex' in the X-Terras coils) would reduce the ability of the average Chinese manufactuer of effective results. If the chip is wrong, the coil won't/can't communicate with the control box.

How's this: Passwords on all new machines over $1500. You could then register or de-register the owner of the device when and if they sell it. Stolen goods would not work unless authorized by the owner to do so - and forged coils would not work on genuine machines (and vice-versa).

A cheap yet simple method would be as follows: A detectorist would need to use a PIN to access the computer-driven control box of his detector (just like your mobile phone can be locked each time it is turned off) and he would need to enter the 8 digit number to make the device active. New coils could be added to the machine with a PIN activation code. If lost, this PIN could be accessed again via the store that sold it - or the manufacturer. Fake coils would not work if the chip containing the PIN code contained within the coil did not match the authorized ones already entered into the control box. It's simple and easy to apply. It would all but eliminate fakes overseas from entering the market here and it would discourage piracy of local products overseas. Stolen detectors would be worthless and could not be sold to anyone. All modern Minelab detectors for prospecting are digital these days.

1. Turn ON detector.
2. Enter PASSWORD to access menu.
3. Start detecting.

If you change your coil, the coil (for which you already entered a PIN for when you bought it) is recognized by the detector immediately.

Easy-peasy. I wonder why nobody has done this yet?

nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

FAKE 18" COILTEK COIL showed up... (pics & video) - Page 2 Empty Re: FAKE 18" COILTEK COIL showed up... (pics & video)

Post  nero_design Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:05 am

FAKE 18" COILTEK COIL showed up... (pics & video) - Page 2 Medium

Something like this... ?
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

FAKE 18" COILTEK COIL showed up... (pics & video) - Page 2 Empty Fake coils...problem solved !

Post  sandy2010 Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:50 pm

NERO.....I meant my response as a joke....but your idea is brilliant....("Some men are born great,some achieve greatness whilst others have greatness thrust upon them")perhaps Trevor at Coiltek and Bruce Candy at Minelab should get their heads together....and the new chip shall be called the "NERO CHIP".....(with Royalties).

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:02 pm

FAKE 18" COILTEK COIL showed up... (pics & video) - Page 2 1zombi10
I'm walking to the shop to pay extra money for unwanted technology....
Hey i know a way to stop couterfeiters....how about only buying from a reputable authorised dealer like Prospectors Patch etc. FAKE 18" COILTEK COIL showed up... (pics & video) - Page 2 Fresse

Back to top Go down

FAKE 18" COILTEK COIL showed up... (pics & video) - Page 2 Empty Fake coils...problem solved !

Post  sandy2010 Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:33 pm

You are correct ferrousfinder.....but buying from a dealer only applies to new equipment....how many thousands of second-hand detectors and coils are going to be out there in the future...that's when Neros chip idea becomes infallible !.......no more stolen detectors or coils either.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:53 pm

Gday Marco
You've obviously got wayyyy too much time on your hands if you can manufacture these type of posts - fun but. Kinda like the idea of the password and if it starts now then down the track it will filter through to the future 2nd hand stuff. Tough luck about existing 2nd hand stuff but I guess we'll just have to make more of an effort to identify sellers with scruples.
What was that control box you used for the pic? The little lugs have thrown me FAKE 18" COILTEK COIL showed up... (pics & video) - Page 2 Icon_scratch
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  musso Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:35 pm

mulgadansa wrote:Gday Marco
You've obviously got wayyyy too much time on your hands if you can manufacture these type of posts - fun but. Kinda like the idea of the password and if it starts now then down the track it will filter through to the future 2nd hand stuff. Tough luck about existing 2nd hand stuff but I guess we'll just have to make more of an effort to identify sellers with scruples.
What was that control box you used for the pic? The little lugs have thrown me FAKE 18" COILTEK COIL showed up... (pics & video) - Page 2 Icon_scratch
cheers
Brett

The early 4500's had those cable lugs, maybe also 4000's, dunno about them.
musso
musso
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-05-07

Back to top Go down

FAKE 18" COILTEK COIL showed up... (pics & video) - Page 2 Empty Fake coiltech coils

Post  fastgold Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:05 pm

Looks like nero might be right,I see whites spectra v3i has owner registration which is software embedded, so unless minelab are stupid it looks like this is the sign of the time.

fastgold
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2010-06-20

Back to top Go down

FAKE 18" COILTEK COIL showed up... (pics & video) - Page 2 Empty fake coil

Post  nuggertman Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:17 pm

FAKE 18" COILTEK COIL showed up... (pics & video) - Page 2 Icon_king mmate what will we do with out you ... thxfor all this
nuggertman
nuggertman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-02-18

Back to top Go down

FAKE 18" COILTEK COIL showed up... (pics & video) - Page 2 Empty Fake coiltech coils

Post  fastgold Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:34 pm

The laugh is I believe the new "australian tdi doesnt have this feature which seems strange after putting on the spectra

fastgold
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2010-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:35 pm

Thought it was ebay till I read the link.
NF coils
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:47 pm

Narrawa wrote:Thought it was ebay till I read the link.
NF coils

Holy COW! Look at all the different factories selling the fakes directly through the auction site!

They don't see any harm in it at all. Such a disgrace.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  mallee00 Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:58 pm

Hope the bastards die a slow horrible death, the true definition of lowlife scum. mallee00 and the mutt

mallee00
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

FAKE 18" COILTEK COIL showed up... (pics & video) - Page 2 Empty Realty

Post  kellygang Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:40 pm

Get real you guys Australia has priced itself out of the market. There would not be so many fakes out there if our companies could produce at reasonable prices. In China approx. 40% of their manufactured exports come from wholly owned Foreign factories or Joint Venture companies. Many of these companies and you should know a lot of them moved their manufacturing to China so they could be competitive. Many Aust. companies have done the same so should coiltec if they want to be competitive in the future. Minelab already claims to make their products in Malaysia. I bet many of their components come from China also just assembled in Malaysia. If they are smart they should move to China also as the costs of producing there is much cheaper than Malaysia. If you have your own technology it can be protected in China. Sure there are cheats and thieves in China wherever you find poverty and now the drive to get rich you will always find this but remember there are 1.3 billion in China and not all are this way. Take a walk through Kmart nearly everything comes from China. I am no expert on detectors but I have been to factories in China that make coils for other electrical products for many of the appliances we all have in our houses today and the quality is excellent. I have also been to a factory who admitted to me they bought a Minelab 5000 and copied it. I saw their copy but unfortunately I do not know enough about the internals to take a punt on one. One thing I do know from my experience in China when buying locally if the product is faulty I have never had any trouble getting my money refunded.

I am still researching because even though many of you professionals out there state Minelab is the best I am having trouble justifying the price, I guess that's the nature of the beast I like to get value for money.

I can only suggest to Minelab move your manufacturing to China so you can be more competitive with your pricing you will sell a lot more as price is obviously the factor deterring a lot of sales. Out of curiousity just what in the detector can you actually patent.

kellygang
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-03-28

Back to top Go down

FAKE 18" COILTEK COIL showed up... (pics & video) - Page 2 Empty fake stuff

Post  jibhorsegully Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:18 pm

I find Gumtree a great site to buy secondhand,its a meet and greet selling site.Try before any cash changes hands.
jibhorsegully
jibhorsegully
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-03-17

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2