Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPZ in the Pilbara

4 posters

Go down

GPZ in the Pilbara Empty GPZ in the Pilbara

Post  slugsbrother Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:29 pm

Hi All,

I am a new owner of the GPZ and am confused about some of the settings.

Can anyone recommend the correct settings for the Pilbara with lots of Iron Ore in the area please?

Also, when changing between modes, High Yield to General, is it required to "reset" or can you just go from one mode to the other?

And finally does anyone know of any good tutorials on using the GPS feature?  Mine came with a disk but I am unable to play it so not sure if there is any information on it there.

And final question is there are need to use the Ferrite AND the normal quick start procedures or does one just use the Ferrite procedures for ground balance?

Thanks.
slugsbrother
slugsbrother
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-06-26

Back to top Go down

GPZ in the Pilbara Empty Re: GPZ in the Pilbara

Post  Guest Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:24 pm

slugsbrother wrote:Hi All,

Can anyone recommend the correct settings for the Pilbara with lots of Iron Ore in the area please?

Also, when changing between modes, High Yield to General, is it required to "reset" or can you just go from one mode to the other?

And finally does anyone know of any good tutorials on using the GPS feature?  Mine came with a disk but I am unable to play it so not sure if there is any information on it there.

And final question is there are need to use the Ferrite AND the normal quick start procedures or does one just use the Ferrite procedures for ground balance?

Thanks.

G'day slugsbrother

I'll try and help, correct settings well that's whatever works best for where you are, so here goes, try "High yield" and "Difficult" or "General" and "Difficult" with Audio smoothing OFF or Low, sensitivity between 9 (FP) to 12

Now use the ferrite regularly, and at startup with detector in auto GB do the walk swing GB like in the book then put the ferrite on the ground and swing the coil over it, if it picks up the ferrite as a signal use the quick track button and GB over the ferrite till it goes quiet, then put the GB in ot "Manual GB" and use the detector like that for awhile, checking with the ferrite every now and again.

Once you get used to the machine you can use Auto GB maybe, but you will need to GB over the ferrite regularly.

Don't worry about the GPS feature till you get used to using the detector.

The user manual is on the disk plus other stuff that you will get to use later on, mainly to do with the GPS amd mapping and the Xchange software.

Hope some of this is helpful.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Idigem Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:28 am

Hi slugsbrother,
If you go to youtube there are plenty of instructional videos there, some from JP and some from mine lab. at least
they will give you a starting point
Cheers Simmo

Idigem
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  slugsbrother Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:10 pm

davsgold wrote:
slugsbrother wrote:Hi All,

Thanks.

G'day slugsbrother

I'll try and help, correct settings well that's whatever works best for where you are, so here goes, try "High yield" and "Difficult" or "General" and "Difficult" with Audio smoothing OFF or Low, sensitivity between 9 (FP) to 12

Now use the ferrite regularly, and at startup with detector in auto GB do the walk swing GB like in the book then put the ferrite on the ground and swing the coil over it, if it picks up the ferrite as a signal use the quick track button and GB over the ferrite till it goes quiet, then put the GB in ot "Manual GB" and use the detector like that for awhile, checking with the ferrite every now and again.

Once you get used to the machine you can use Auto GB maybe, but you will need to GB over the ferrite regularly.

Don't worry about the GPS feature till you get used to using the detector.

The user manual is on the disk plus other stuff that you will get to use later on, mainly to do with the GPS amd mapping and the Xchange software.

cheers dave

Thanks for taking the time to type that mate, I will follow that and see how I go.

Hopefully be posting some pics of dirty Pilbara Gold here sooner rather than later. Q32
slugsbrother
slugsbrother
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  slugsbrother Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:11 pm

Idigem wrote:Hi slugsbrother,
If you go to youtube there are plenty of instructional videos there, some from JP and some from mine lab. at least
they will give you a starting point
Cheers Simmo
Hi thanks mate, I have watched many of those and they are good, I guess seeing the balance with and without Ferrite confused me when it came time to do the ground balance properly.

I have searched for any videos of using the GPS feature but could not see any there.

slugsbrother
slugsbrother
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  peterinaust Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:31 pm

I haven't worried about the GPS yet learning the detector first. But did turn the GPS on at home last weekend for a look, just a matter of using it and getting used to I think. Maybe try it next time out. Just turn it on and have a play, be out side with clear view of the sky, get a GPS fix and scroll through the menu.
Maybe without the GPS the machine would have been cheaper?? maybe.

Peter

peterinaust
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2012-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:36 pm

davsgold wrote:  And final question is there are need to use the Ferrite AND the normal quick start procedures or does one just use the Ferrite procedures for ground balance?

Thanks.

G'day slugsbrother

cheers dave

[/quote]

This method of Dave's on how to use the ferrite really works great. Everybody who has the GPZed should learn how to use it correctly, it ain't hard to do. Thanks Dave
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down