Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could this be silver

3 posters

Go down

Could this be silver Empty Could this be silver

Post  hapalogh Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:53 pm

Went for a detect a couple days ago in GT and found what I thought was a bit of lead.
On getting home had a check of it ,is lighter than lead and gold,about the size of 1/2 a pea, and very hard to scratch and mark and has weight to its size,and it is domed at the top and has a couple of bumps on the bottom and is filled and coated with hard brown yellow dirt.
Will try to put up pics when I check out how.
If it is lead I hope the price goes up coz ive got plenty Shocked

hapalogh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2013-04-19

Back to top Go down

Could this be silver Empty Re: Could this be silver

Post  Guest Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:07 am

It could be silver, a shilling or a sixpence that got melted in a fire. But won't know until you can put up a photo. In the mean time try and put it in acid for a couple of hours. If it is silver the acid won't harm it, only turn it a gray colour that can be cleaned of later.
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  hapalogh Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:38 pm

Hi Bill, Thanks for your reply, this may take awhile to upload some pics but I will keep trying,also what is the name of the acid I should try?
Cheers Graeme.

hapalogh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hapalogh Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:24 pm

[urlCould this be silver Pic_0717=httCould this be silver Pic_0718p://www.servimg.com/view/19250951/7]Could this be silver Pic_0716[/url]
Here is some photos at last

hapalogh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:44 pm

Try Hydrochloric acid or commony know as bricky acid. You can get it from any hardware store. But remember it is acid so read and take all safety warnings. But by looking at the photos it could be melted tin and solder combined.
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  hapalogh Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Hi Bill, will try this thanks again .

hapalogh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:46 am

Would you be interested in hitting it with a hammer to see if it shatters or flatens. Even just hit it lightly. Any chance it could be platinium? Do you know historicaly what other minerals were found in the area where you got it? Was there silver or platinium? It looks pretty smooth & water worn. That last pic is interesting as it looks more like a little nugget of some thing & doesnt look like lead or a bullet head of some sort.

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:21 am

I'm just thinking it could be a nugget covered in dried hard mercury V56
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  hapalogh Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:16 pm

Hi Wombat,Kiwijw, With my very limited research knowledge,historically, I looked on the map and  saw pick+shovel icon ,so wnet their and detected Shocked
I found only Gold their,only 1 piece left Twisted Evil
But seriously ,in this area there is a large area of old timers diggings,consisting of red foliation dirt diggings,and flat stones of the same colour.
I detected a little here but only found a highly mineralised soft rock,with black veins or stripes in it. After breaking it opened all pieces still detected.
The surrounding area where I found the small gold nugget and this one,i think there was iron bark trees, very prickly bushes and small sappling gums,but vegetation was sparse,and further up the hill,and also to the left ,there were a few more diggings,mounds and a flat dugout area, and further up the hill, the bush got a lot denser. Sorry Kiwijw,Wombat, I tried finding info on the Argus paper about silver and platinum,but navigating through these at the moment, is a learning curve for me. This is why I gave more in fo on the area. Also before I gently hit my siver thing I found, with a hammer Shocked Sorry about that, I will soak it in hydrochloric acid,and see what is left.The gold nugget I found is very jagged,found not far down hill from the small diggings, and this one I showed ,not sure where found,maybe further down hill.

hapalogh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hapalogh Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:20 pm

At the moment I got it fizzing In hydrochloric acid, its been their for 45 miutes so far.

hapalogh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hapalogh Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:54 pm

Thanks Kiwijw,Wombat, It has disintegrated into little bits now, but was woth a try. I thank you both for your expertees .
Also I placed a small bit of shaped metal ,I found and scraped ages ago which showed a brassy or gold colour in the jar as well.
My question is ,does brass disintergrate in acid ?

hapalogh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:35 pm

Only one way to find out. lol! Doesnt seem that your first bit was any thing of value. Never mind.....keep at it & good things will come.

Good luck out there

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  hapalogh Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:03 pm

Hi guys, This piece I showed and the brassy shaped bit ,I left o'nite in the in the acid,and next day tipped it all in a bucket, filling the bucket with water then tipping it out about 3 times,carefully, coz the acid is heavier than water and sinks to the bottom.
I panned it and the one in the picture ,I found a small bit of solid grey stuff an possibly 5 or 6 pieces of gold specs as Wombat and Kiwijw explained to me.The brassy shaped piece came up more colour but the other bit of it is still dark.
Can someone tell me please,does brass dissolve in this acid.

hapalogh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hapalogh Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:06 pm

Thanks Kiwijw, I will try and post some more pics.

Last edited by hapalogh on Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thought of something else to add)

hapalogh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hapalogh Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:44 pm

The top one I think is copper and the bottom one the silver bit is shining through. If it is siver or platinum not worth much but still exciting to find .                                                                                                                                                                                                            [url=Could this be silver Pic_0729[/url=https://servimg.com/view/19250951/19]Could this be silver Pic_0728

hapalogh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Could this be silver Empty Could this be silver

Post  Rockmybed Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:14 pm

Hello Hapalogh
I know this response is 7 years after your question so if not you others may be questioning this as well
First brass is an alloy of mostly copper and zinc so yes there will be a reaction with HCL as the zinc will react and copper may change to copper oxide if oxygen is added
The other metallic piece if scratches easily could be silver or platinum
If it is harder than that it could be either cobalt or nickel or an alloy of both the blue sheen indicates the presence of cobalt
I’m no expert either so this is just my opinion hope it helps someone

Rockmybed
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2022-09-03

Back to top Go down