Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The GPZed so far.

+17
Toysandthings
G.B.
Canned Heat
GoldHound
Inhere
kevlorraine2
Reno Chris
kon61
rc62burke
slimpickens
Wantmoregold
Qld Sandy
AraratGold
Tributer
goldquest
Aussie Jason
Nebuchadnezzar
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The GPZed so far. - Page 2 Empty Re: The GPZed so far.

Post  kon61 Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:21 pm

Don't let that avatar fool ya. Q25  Q35

Cheers Kon.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:34 pm

Cheers. Q11

Back to top Go down

Post  Reno Chris Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:45 am

This is not surprising seeing as we are said to be all descended from criminals.

Those criminals would be my Aussie ancestors. I had multiple generations there in the early days of gold mining in the triangle, and probably still have distant relatives there. One of my relatives was said to be the head postmaster in Melbourne in that time. My great, great grandfather was murdered for the gold he had on him in the late 1800s, making my great grandfather an orphan.
Reno Chris
Reno Chris
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:13 am

Reno Chris wrote:. My great, great grandfather was murdered for the gold he had on him in the late 1800s, making my great grandfather an orphan.
Mate I read somewhere once (or was told) that a guy found a big lump of gold at Tarnagulla and then a couple of days later was murdered near Dunolly and that`s how Murder`s Hill got its name.
Would that be your great, great grandfather?
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:32 am

Well there ya go Chris you are an Aussie whether you like it or not. Laughing

Most of the first settlers here were Irish crims. The Irish actually formed most of the Aussie culture and later when the English realised that the place was
Chockers with gold and silver and stuff, well they just came out in a huge rush. Much to the dismay of the local Aborigines.
Mainly rich people who could afford the travel cost and then later others, the down and outers were given Steerage accomodation.

Yeah I know Captain Cook claimed Australia for God queen and country but we had a high Irish poulation until early in the 1800s
Now of course we are just a crowd of bittsers with no actual Australian culture and the crime rate here is skyrocketing. so it looks like we are going back to being a penal colony. affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:34 pm

thanks KON, you have gone to a lot of trouble to reproduce your test results here for us. much appreciated.

my small time on hot, flogged ground at warwick qld, proved to me the Z is the way to go. i reckon there is plenty of room for improvement on it though. i was picking up charcoal, hot ground, hot rocks, and anthills. that threw me quite a bit, as i had got used to running in enhance or fine gold, and switching between the two to elimate most of those problems. i was only confident that i had a target to dig after the top layer was removed, or sinking the pick deep into the crap soil.
depth advantage was obvious, but i didnt go to the trouble of measuring everything like you did. thanks again... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:42 pm

Cheers Kev.   As I said in one of my earlier posts,the GPZ 7000s performance increase,is not the same jump of what the SD 2000 was,as compared to VLFs,but it is by far a better sensitivity/depth increase,than what the GPX 5000 was over the 4500.
I'd also better state if I havn't already,switch the GPZ 7000 to gold mode "General",Ground type "Difficult",Audio on "Low" and you'll find out that most falsing of hot rock signals and ground noise will dis-appear,whilst increasing depth on all positive targets from say half a gram onwards..High Yield to me,was like being in "Shallow Mode" on the earlier PI's (greater sensitivity to smaller targets nearer the surface) but at the cost of increasing the sensitivity to pockets of highly mineralized ground or hot rocks. I practically gained an extra inch depth,on almost all my gold targets above half gram,using the above settings on the 7000,whilst running stable ground balance and smooth threshold,over sections of highly mineralized ground,whereas the 5000 had to be further dumbed down,(gain/stabilizer,a little bellow "factory pre-set") just to give me the same running characteristics.
Now I know the GPZs performance,over that of the GPX 5000,aint some phenomenal increase,as was with the introduction of the SD 2000 compared to the days of VLF,but after 2 whole days of testing/prospecting and picking up targets of all sorts,over flogged ground,If anyone here were to tell me that the GPX 5000 is an overall better detector (performance wise than the GPZ 7000,less been given a poor working or faulty GPZ to compare it with) I can only say to them, "you've either got no mineralization in the ground,where your operating your 5000 over "whilst In Normal/General" or you'v got no grey matter functioning properly between your ears.Laughing

Cheers Kon What a Face
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gold Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:17 am

Gday Kon,

Thanks for the settings. I'm going to give them a go next time im out as i detect in very hot ground. Up until now iv always be reluctant to use Auto Smoothing as I'm afraid it will dumb it down and smooth out any deep or faint targets.

What sensitivity and threshold were you running with this combo?

Cheers, Jordan.
Jay Gold
Jay Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2015-03-02

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeIyXg5rKxtrVNJPEM7FAgw

Back to top Go down

Post  Reno Chris Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:54 am

Would that be your great, great grandfather?
No, he was a mine manager and was carrying the payroll back to the mine (in those days, miners were paid their wages in the coin of the realm, not by check). Thieves followed him into the bush, murdered him and stole the payroll money.
Reno Chris
Reno Chris
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:00 am

G'day Jordan.

On the contrary,its actually the opposite of what people might think,when working areas of highly mineralized ground. It's like trying to squeeze more out of a GPX 5000 in terms of sensitivity and depth over positive targets,at the cost of excessive ground noise,when you could be running it comfortably/smoothly in Enhance,with even better ground penetration. The ground being different in just about every place I'v gone to Jordan,there'd be little point as to giving you numbers.Just run the threshold/gain to suit that particular stretch of ground you intend swinging over,whilst using the settings I'v recommend. I haven't had enough experience with the 7000,to tell you any more than that myself. Laughing

Cheers Kon. T25
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:30 am

JayMowgrass wrote:Gday Kon,

Thanks for the settings. I'm going to give them a go next time im out as i detect in very hot ground. Up until now iv always be reluctant to use Auto Smoothing as I'm afraid it will dumb it down and smooth out any deep or faint targets.

What sensitivity and threshold were you running with this combo?

Cheers, Jordan.

G'day Jordan,

If you are having trouble trying to get your GPZ7000 to run quietly in the ground/conditions where you are working, then don't be afraid to use the high smoothing as that was how I was running mine on that day we found the 50gram and the 10gram nuggets and they came through as positive dig me signals. Hope this helps you in your particular area.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:14 am

kon61 wrote:Cheers Kev.   As I said in one of my earlier posts,the GPZ 7000s performance increase,is not the same jump of what the SD 2000 was,as compared to VLFs,but it is by far a better sensitivity/depth increase,than what the GPX 5000 was over the 4500.
I'd also better state if I havn't already,switch the GPZ 7000 to gold mode "General",Ground type "Difficult",Audio on "Low" and you'll find out that most falsing of hot rock signals and ground noise will dis-appear,whilst increasing depth on all positive targets from say half a gram onwards..High Yield to me,was like being in "Shallow Mode" on the earlier PI's (greater sensitivity to smaller targets nearer the surface) but at the cost of increasing the sensitivity to pockets of highly mineralized ground or hot rocks. I practically gained an extra inch depth,on almost all my gold targets above half gram,using the above settings on the 7000,whilst running stable ground balance and smooth threshold,over sections of highly mineralized ground,whereas the 5000 had to be further dumbed down,(gain/stabilizer,a little bellow "factory pre-set") just to give me the same running characteristics.
Now I know the GPZs performance,over that of the GPX 5000,aint some phenomenal increase,as was with the introduction of the SD 2000 compared to the days of VLF,but after 2 whole days of testing/prospecting and picking up targets of all sorts,over flogged ground,If anyone here were to tell me that the GPX 5000 is an overall better detector (performance wise than the GPZ 7000,less been given a poor working or faulty GPZ to compare it with) I can only say to them, "you've either got no mineralization in the ground,where your operating your 5000 over "whilst In Normal/General" or you'v got no grey matter functioning properly between your ears.Laughing

Cheers Kon What a Face
thanks KON much appreciated, i will take a download of this to remind me when next out. the learning curve seems to be getting steeper for me, and the limitations of this new machine are going to be "me" not the machine it would seem ... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gold Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:49 pm

Gday Kon and Mike,

Thanks for your replies. Im going to give "general" and "auto smoothing" a go next week in the hot ground iv been detecting of late.

Iv been getting a few deep nuggets around the 1+ foot mark using high yield in red clay but also getting a few small nuggets (less then 0.5g) in a separate gold deposit in the shallow, grey gravel layer also.... I wonder if id miss those small shallow nuggets in "general."
I guess there are many factors but given the power of the Zed, i think id rather try and punch deeper and get those big deeper targets. That being said, i have pulled a 0.4g nugget form 9" using general (although very flat and having a large surface area), it does seem to perform on the smaller nuggets also.

I really should be testing the different settings on every target but i just get too excited and want to dig them out straight away. Very Happy

New years resolution... test settings on every target.

Good luck out there.

Jordan.
Jay Gold
Jay Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Canned Heat Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:09 pm

kon61 wrote:
Now I know the GPZs performance,over that of the GPX 5000,aint some phenomenal increase,as was with the introduction of the SD 2000 compared to the days of VLF,but after 2 whole days of testing/prospecting and picking up targets of all sorts,over flogged ground....
Id agree with that. I think what has caught some out is them not getting gold or very much gold off of previous rich patches. I at first doubted there was much depth increase in it myself. But what I am convinced of now its not the machine, the 7, its the goldfields themselves. That and the use of a 5000 with good coils has seen a massive gold depletion on many areas, not to mention all the previous machines as well. There are many areas that have just about had it gold wise, I am convinced of that. I was on one of my good old spots today where I got nuggets, species and some real weird species of lace gold. I dug a few deepish targets, for their size, which for sure the other machines never heard, but no gold. It showed me a depth and sensitivity increase for sure, but there was simply no gold there within its range to be found. Was at another spot yesterday which had yielded probably hundreds of bits collectively to detectorists over the years, I wasn't the first to go there with the 7 as I know some others had too before me, but not one hole in sight. A dozen or so surface scrapes but no holes. I got 1 shotgun pellet, that was it. So I can see some thinking its no better when they experience that and have it repeated again and again. Yeah I know some spots "will" have some more and do, I have experienced that myself and fully expect to come across some more over time, but the amount that don't is scary. I feel the goldfields in general in Vic have well and truly reached and gone over the peak and are well and truly now rapidly on the downhill slide.

Canned Heat
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:11 pm

Good post Canned Heat, of the parts that I have worked down there, I would have to agree!
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Canned Heat Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:11 pm

Yeah, ill admit its caught me a bit by surprise. Laughing Was hoping for a repeat of how things went with the 45 and 5, but such is life huh!
Still, its the best machine you could swing.
On a side note my 7 hung up today. Earlier I was in General and as I moved along I came to some shallow surfacing ground so thought id go into High Yield, I selected it then went to change to High Audio Smoothing and up the Sensitivity just to see how things went. But as I detected things were noisy, so I lowered the Sens but still was noisy. I then checked the settings and was still in General? I then checked the Audio Smoothing and with each change of selection the sound was the same. Great I thought, its gone bung. But I shut it down and restarted it, went into Quick start and selected reset Audio and tried the changes again, all good. No problems after that. First time its happened, minor glitch. That's computerisation I guess, when all else fails turn it off, turn it on and restart.

Canned Heat
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gold Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:28 am

Interesting Canned Heat,

Iv not hat that glitch or heard of it happening. Its good that it restored after a power down but a little disappointing it happened in the first place.

I have encountered momentary sound cut outs. Its almost like the detector turns off then back on in about half a second, then runs smoothly again. It happened to me about 3 times in about an hour last week, then nothing for the rest of the day.
Jay Gold
Jay Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:46 am

JayMowgrass wrote:Interesting Canned Heat,

Iv not hat that glitch or heard of it happening. Its good that it restored after a power down but a little disappointing it happened in the first place.

I have encountered momentary sound cut outs. Its almost like the detector turns off then back on in about half a second, then runs smoothly again. It happened to me about 3 times in about an hour last week, then nothing for the rest of the day.

That is interfearence in between the transmitter and wireless receiver, get used to it as there is nothing you/they can do about it.
It is cased by atmospheric interference.
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2014-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Canned Heat Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:07 am

Yeah, I have had that happen lots of times. I tend to agree with Goldhound. Some times I have days when it doesn't happen, others it does.
More days that it does than not. I was told by the guy that sold it to me to keep the module on the side of your body/arm that you swing the detector with and it will minimise it. I just do a swing over the ground again where it happened just in case it caused a missed faint signal at the time. So far it hasn't though, may never do so but I do it just in case.

Canned Heat
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:26 am

Yes this seems to be part & parcel with the WM12 unit I normally have mine attached to my right shoulder and when I go to retrieve my target my body seems to block it for a brief second. This is usually the only time it seems to do this drop out and in that I notice.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  G.B. Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:32 am

Canned Heat wrote:

Yeah, I have had that happen lots of times. I tend to agree with Goldhound. Some times I have days when it doesn't happen, others it does.
More days that it does than not. I was told by the guy that sold it to me to keep the module on the side of your body/arm that you swing the detector with and it will minimise it. I just do a  swing over the ground again where it happened just in case it caused a missed faint signal at the time. So far it hasn't though, may never do so but I do it just in case.

Try changing the module pairing frequency or as a last resort plug directly into detector
G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

The GPZed so far. - Page 2 Empty Nice post

Post  Toysandthings Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:44 am

Yes very interesting and thanks for the info on settings to run the Zed with.

Hope to be in the Vic triangle this easter giving a Zed a go.

Cheers.
Lee.
ps. We have 2 Zeds in stock at present...Smile

Toysandthings
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2013-05-02

http://www.toys-things.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Aurumick Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:49 am

I've also noticed when retrieving the target the coil field seems to disrupt the WM12 if too close, desensitising , making it harder to retrieve a small target.
Makes you really think were one can mount the WM12 on ones body.
Aurumick
Aurumick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2014-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:57 am

I have mine on the shoulder strap of the Camelbak, directly under my right ear.
I too have noticed small'breaks' in transmission, and just put it down to the blue tooth connection.

The GPZed so far. - Page 2 Gpz11

Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gold Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:14 pm

Thanks guys for the feedback, only problem is..... I don't use the WM12 and plug my headphones directly into the detector. Rolling Eyes

Anyone had the short cutout without using the WM12?..... I might give ML a cal.
Jay Gold
Jay Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:46 pm

JayMowgrass wrote:Thanks guys for the feedback, only problem is..... I don't use the WM12 and plug my headphones directly into the detector. Rolling Eyes

Anyone had the short cutout without using the WM12?..... I might give ML a cal.

Sounds like you may have a problem with your head phone connection into the control box then. Do you have the WIFI turned on in the detector, go into the WIFI part of your control panel and check if it on/off, as I think you will have to turn it off when you are using the HPs only. Hope this helps you with your problem.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gold Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:50 pm

Thanks mike, ill check it out. T06
Jay Gold
Jay Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:46 pm

hey Mike, just to clear up the terminology, WIFI requires an internet connection.
In all the manuals, guides they refer to "wireless audio" which
can really only mean bluetooth.
Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  pablop Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:39 pm

Redfin wrote:hey Mike, just to clear up the terminology, WIFI requires an internet connection.
In all the manuals, guides they refer to "wireless audio" which
can really only mean bluetooth.
Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

Agreed that it is BlueTooth, not WIFI, but while WIFI is normally used to access an internet connection, I don't believe that internet access per-se is required, but you do need a local area network.  e.g. I can print to my WIFI enabled printer from my computer without having any internet access connected because I have a local wifi network.

Last edited by pablop on Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
pablop
pablop
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2015-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:04 pm

Sorry about any confusion that I have caused, but looking through the manual there is no mention of Blue Tooth at all. scratch But you are right they call it Wireless connection and because I am sitting here on My iPad typing this to you through its WIFI connection to our wireless router to the Wireless dongle hooked to the Internet using Wireless Internet Connection. Boy is this a Mouth Full. lol! lol! Sorry for any confusion Redfin.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next