Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The GPZed so far.

+17
Toysandthings
G.B.
Canned Heat
GoldHound
Inhere
kevlorraine2
Reno Chris
kon61
rc62burke
slimpickens
Wantmoregold
Qld Sandy
AraratGold
Tributer
goldquest
Aussie Jason
Nebuchadnezzar
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The GPZed so far. Empty The GPZed so far.

Post  slimpickens Sun 29 Mar - 0:04

A question or two for those who have used the Zed and detect seriously.

If your in it just for fun and don't care if all you find is a tiddler or two and your happy just to be out there, then good luck to you, (I wish I was more like you)............. but these questions are not meant for you.

Be truthful now, and don't gild the lily.  Q10

1] Is it really an almost $5000 technological improvement over the GPX's?

2] At almost double the price of a GPX, has it been able to convince and prove to you, that it's even 25% better than the GPX?

3] Has there been a substantial increase in the amount of nuggets and the frequency your finding nuggets over the GPX?

4] Have you noticed an increase of larger nuggets (let's say 10 grams or more) at a depth of 1 foot or more over the GPX?

5] Have you noticed that big a difference between the Zed and the GPX?

6] Are you convinced that the GPX 7000, (if your serious about finding gold), is the correct way to go forward in this hobby?

So as to not confuse the issue, please read the questions carefully and if you think you can contribute, answer only these questions specifically.

Last edited by slimpickens on Sun 29 Mar - 14:00; edited 3 times in total
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

The GPZed so far. Empty Re: The GPZed so far.

Post  Guest Sun 29 Mar - 0:50

G'day Harry,

I was like everyone else, as I truly had my doubts about it, but with the time I have spent out with the GPZ7000 and I am still learning its capabilities, I would say it is a lot better than the GPXs and the SDC2300 as it will find the smaller targets at depth that I believe the 2300/5000 are missing, also it is going deeper on the larger targets that the 5000 is missing. Also it will detect the hard to hear type Gold that the 4500/5000 and even the earlier PIs have been missing. We have proved this on a few occasions, as well as a few tests we have Done.  As for the Price of the GPZ7000 I don't really know if anyone can answer that, but if you want the best then you have to pay for it.  Hope this helps you to understand and shed a little more light on this for you.  

Regards.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nebuchadnezzar Sun 29 Mar - 1:09

Interesting ... but I don't think there is an easy answer to your questions.

I remember about the time the zed was first released how some members tried to justify it's high cost with other expensive hobbies. I believe one comparison was made with a 100k+ boat ... ridiculous really, it's nothing of the sort. Most of us don't realize the real cost of prospecting. It's not just about a detector but all the other gear that goes with it. What about our wheels and those little homes we pull around with us all over the country.  I personally know several prospectors that have spent in excess of 100k for a Bushtracker van and then another 80k+ for the wheels to pull it! Expensive hobby? I think so, much like a 100k expensive boat ... but there is a big difference. Someone who spends this type of doe on a boat is serious about his hobby. Chances are he's good at what he does, especially if he also spends over 10k on a fishing rod and the zed is only the "fishing rod" of prospectors.

If the amateur fisherman with a 100k boat and 10k rod was going to be bringing home two sardines at the end of the day he would be the laughing stock of the entire yacht club. More likely he'll be bringing back plenty of game fish.

So what's all this got to do with your post. Well, it seems a lot of part-time and somewhat inexperienced hobbyists have taken the plunge and bought themselves a zed. But detecting is not about what detector you use, it's all about skill. Those who had done well with earlier detectors will do well with the zed. It had taken many hundreds and sometimes thousands of hours to truly master the 5k and no doubt in time the zed will prove to be a winner in the right hands. It's still early times yet.
Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Reno Chris Sun 29 Mar - 1:17

Slim you are like a bloke who whistles the same song over and over. Same predictable old tune day in and day out, week after week.
Only you can decide if its "worth it" to you. Worth it has to do with your own personal finances and to some bloke with plenty of money, no worries, he is happy and feels its worth it. To another who really has the skills for finding gold, he is producing and its worth it. If you figure you need to get $10,700 in the first month or two with it because you really cant afford it otherwise, you may well be disappointed. For those who don't find much gold with their existing detectors, guess what - the GPZ likely wont change that.
A bunch of other blokes have stated they were glad they bought theirs and don't regret it. A few had very high expectations and were disappointed. If you expect that you would be producing an ounce or two a day if you owned one - look at the reports of those who do have one. That is not the experience of most. The few guys who are finding an ounce or two are keeping quiet.
The guys who have been successful finding gold in the past are using their GPZ to their advantage. They have seen the kinds of situations where the GPZ shines, and are out pulling gold from those locations.
There are now reports of genuine Aussie prospectors out there and more are coming in. All the info you need to make a decision is already available.
1) Its not a magic stick that will pull gold from places where none exists.
2) If you just take it to patches which have already been pounded with every detector and coil available since the early 1980s, you'll probably pull out a few bits, but if you expect a big payday of many ounces, you will probably be disappointed. The experience of prospectors both there and here in the states is that while some well worked patches will yield notable gold, most heavily pounded patches of the past will yield only a few bits.  
3) While you wait, others are already out at those well-known, easily accessible patches with their GPZs, getting what gold it will find. If you wait another 6 months or so, there wont be much GPZ gold left on those famous patches that everyone and his brother know about.

In the end, its always been about finding your own new patches and locations. That's what the most successful blokes do. The GPZ is an excellent patch hunting machine. As Nebuchadnezzar said, its about skill. Metal detectors are tools. Owning a fine pipe wrench does not make one a skilled plumber. Owning a fine pipe wrench does not insure all your household plumbing repairs will be successful and picture perfect. Skilled prospectors will find the GPZ a powerful tool, and use it to its best effect, just like a skilled carpenter, plumber or electrician with their tools and equipment.
Reno Chris
Reno Chris
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 29 Mar - 8:23

Fine. I have removed the comment.

I just thought that these words were unnecessary within what is a very informative and logical post.

Quote:

.Slim you are like a bloke who whistles the same song over and over. Same predictable old tune day in and day out, week after week. Unquote

But if you blokes think that it is okay to pass personal judgements about members then it is fine with me.

I might start sharpening my knives.

Last edited by adrian ss on Sun 29 Mar - 15:30; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun 29 Mar - 9:08

Adrian,I think your one line post is out of order.
Why are not people here,paying any attention to the ones that have bought,compared,are currently using the GPZ 7000 and make up their own minds as to what they believe is a fair comparison/assumption.
This continual,negative feed back,coming from people that haven't bought nor tried out a GPZ 7000,I find derogatory.Derogatory from a sense that,it stops new owners of the 7000,from putting up honest posts,towards the performance of the GPZ,in fear of being ridiculed or degraded,in some form or another.
No one here has the right to demand anything from any other member,for no body owes anybody anything.If anyone believes that the GPZ 7000 is not what it is all claimed to be,then go take it out on Minelab and don't buy one.
The price is what it is and ain't going to change for anyone.If one has to justify the price of any consumable item,not alone a GPZ 7000,then the solution is,to go buy a cheaper one.Keep in mind we aren't dealing with cheap or expensive cutlery here.Whether a spoon is priced at $1 or $100,it will do the same job of putting food in ones mouth,but not when your dealing with detectors designed for finding gold. Oils,aren't oils Soul Laughing

Cheers Kon.What a Face

kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Jason Sun 29 Mar - 9:18

well said

Aussie Jason
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2013-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 29 Mar - 9:28

Since acquiring a zed I've picked gold up everyday. Between 3 and 10 grams in smashed ground close to kalgoorlie. I'm very confident of picking up gold everyday with it.
As for the price difference between a zed and 5k yeah a big difference but there is also a big difference in performance on the small stuff and specimen gold. I'm getting quite a few species.
As for depth on large gold, no nothing yet but I have a number of areas to go but are several hundred kms away which I intend to rework with zed. I am also hoping a large coil is released to help in those grounds. I have no doubt it will ping large stuff at extreme depths.
The bread and butter gold is small stuff but chunks are an added bonus.
Personally I'm in no doubt as to what type of season I will have this year. A good season. Personally I couldn't care less what the knockers are saying about zed either. It's not really gonna stop me picking up regular gold is it.
You either get one or don't it's simple.

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Sun 29 Mar - 10:01

Why don't you buy one and try yourself other the sing the same song over and over.
You don't impress anyone with your posts.
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Sun 29 Mar - 11:03

kon61 wrote:Why are not people here,paying any attention to the ones that have bought,compared,are currently using the GPZ 7000 and make up their own minds as to what they believe is a fair comparison/assumption.

My guess is those people think that anyone who has a good comment about the 7000 has some sort of hidden agenda.

kon61 wrote:This continual,negative feed back,coming from people that haven't bought nor tried out a GPZ 7000,I find derogatory.Derogatory from a sense that,it stops new owners of the 7000,from putting up honest posts,towards the performance of the GPZ,in fear of being ridiculed or degraded,in some form or another.

In a nutshell, that's about it. It just isn't worth the effort! I think the GPZ owners have clamped shut because they aren't wanting to be a part of the negative crap. I prefer to have a positive outlook and not be dragged into that sort of drama as you learn that it does nothing to help your own efforts.

kon61 wrote:No one here has the right to demand anything from any other member,for no body owes anybody anything.If anyone believes that the GPZ 7000 is not what it is all claimed to be,then go take it out on Minelab and don't buy one.

I have seen what the machine is capable of, and I'm not about to waste my precious time taking videos just to prove some disbeliever wrong. If you don't believe, then fine.

kon61 wrote:The price is what it is and ain't going to change for anyone.If one has to justify the price of any consumable item,not alone a GPZ 7000,then the solution is,to go buy a cheaper one.Keep in mind we aren't dealing with cheap or expensive cutlery here.

If someone has to justify the price of something, then I humbly suggest that they don't need it. Most of the people I've seen buy a GPZ have already been very successful with previous detectors and it is just a natural progression.
But hey, I don't expect anyone to take my word for it.
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sun 29 Mar - 12:20

There seems to be some confusion here about my post.

I said nothing negative about the machine.

I did not say the machine is expensive.

I also did not say that I can't afford one, please read the questions again.

If you have used the Zed, feel free to answer any of the six specific questions like Mike did. You don't have to answer them all.

I am just trying to gauge it's performance against the GPX........That's all!

Just highlight and paste any of the questions that you feel you can answer, and have a go, even a yes or no will do.

Chris, to say I am singing the same old song, tells me you didn't even bother to read my post before launching your attack. I would rather you answered the specific questions as an experienced detectorist who has used one. But, only if you or anyone else wants to.

Calm down everybody, jeesh. This is still a gold detecting discussion forum isn't it?
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Sun 29 Mar - 12:56

Hi slimpickens, I went from a 4500 to the GPZ. Is it worth $5000 more then a GPX, rephrased as is it worth 3.2 ounces more then the GPX. My answer is a resounding yes. The GPZ finds small and medium nuggets at great depth and it brings me home more gold. Deeper bigger nuggets will take some time to find, but I will find them based on what I have found already and the signal responses from nuggets up to 2 foot deep.
The big advantage over the 4500/5000 is you get all the small gold and the deeper medium sized nuggets, and the bigger deeper nuggets will come IMHO.
These reasons are why I would answer yes and good improvement over earlier models.
If you detect heaps it is definitely worth having a GPZ over a 5000. I will keep my 4500 for running over large expanses quickly with a big spoked coil when I am patch hunting' and where I need to do wide swings all day and the weight balance of the 4500 will suit that job.

Having said that any good operator can do well with a 4500 or a 5000. And of course, research, detecting skill, reading the ground and detecting time will be the main keys to success.
Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  AraratGold Sun 29 Mar - 14:53

My partner and I bought a week old 7000 for a good price, and were going to buy a second, as we have the resources to do so.

However, we decided to get another 5000 as our second detector, and hence have the best of both worlds. The 5000 has an array of big coils available to use right now, so we can cover all bases with the 2 machines.  Wink

That's not to say that the 7000 is no good. IT IS VERY GOOD, but not to the extent that we could justify 2 of them.  Wink

With the money we saved on the near new 5000, we have been able to buy a load more shares, a couple of brand new big N/F coils and have funds left over for the big coil when it becomes available for the 7000.  Very Happy

Rick
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 29 Mar - 15:17

Very Happy
slimpickens wrote:A question or two for those who have used the Zed and detect seriously.

If your in it just for fun and don't care if all you find is a tiddler or two and your happy just to be out there, then good luck to you, (I wish I was more like you)............. but these questions are not meant for you.

2] At almost double the price of a GPX, has it been able to convince and prove to you, that it's even 25% better than the GPX?

3] Has there been a substantial increase in the amount of nuggets and the frequency your finding nuggets over the GPX?

4] Have you noticed an increase of larger nuggets (let's say 10 grams or more) at a depth of 1 foot or more over the GPX?

6] Are you convinced that the GPX 7000, (if your serious about finding gold), is the correct way to go forward in this hobby?

So as to not confuse the issue, please read the questions carefully and if you think you can contribute, answer only these questions specifically.

Going by hearsay only.

Q1....No But it can find gold that the GPXs can miss.
Q2....I believe so.
Q3....It appears to me that people who are using the Zed and are experienced metal detector operators in gold detecting are finding an increase in small gold recovery.
Q4....Not enough info comming in regards to big nugget finds.
Q5....From short hands on experience......Yes
Q6....It is not a backwards step for those living off their gold finds.......But for a casual gold hunter, no deal. There are plenty of other less expensive ML PIs capable of finding good gold.

Just my opinion based on what some Zed operator have Sed about the Zed. Very Happy But if you have the money and want the best then go for it.

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun 29 Mar - 16:19

No need to sharpen them their knives Adrian,you can safely put them back in their holsters. Laughing
These few members here,talking about the performance of the GPZ 7000 (Reno Chris, UTBN, Qld Sandy, Tributer, Goldquest,just to name a few) are not only respected members of this forum,but current users of the GPZ and have gone out of their way to answer peoples questions,regarding the performance of the GPZ,openly and honestly on several of an occasion. How many times must they go about repeating themselves assuring others?
Would it be more reassuring if the Catholic Pope were were to address the GPZ's performance in person? Would he be believed any more? Laughing
This is where I'm coming from.Keep asking the same repeatable questions and it be only a matter of time before all and every user of the GPZ on this forum,starts to refrain from commenting.
Now I'll voice my brief opinion on the GPZs performance as compared to the GPX 5000,considering I myself have put it to the test,over a couple of days testing,over targets found both in natural ground conditions,as well as air tests.
To be brief,the GPZ over all my test targets,ranging from 0.2gm solid gold and gold running through sub gram ironstone/quartz,right up to a 3 ounce speci containing a solid mass of 2.5 ounces of gold (not found by the GPZ,but used only for the purpose of an air test), and the few small sub gram gold nuggets & speci gold found by the GPZ,averaged a minimum depth performance of between 10% all the way up to 25%,over than what the GPX 5000 could achieve using a combination of 14x7,14X9,17x11,14 inch round NFs and a 16 inch round Detech mono coil,regardless of the 5000 being set in or on any settings/timings (such that of Enhance or Special/Fine Gold). This to me,was more than enough proof,to tell me that the GPZ 7000 was a superior detector,to that of the GPX 5000,using a 17x11 or 14 inch round mono coil,when it came to picking up all and every target I tested it over.A couple of the tinier gold specimens laced with fine gold (0.3-0.67gm) were picked up at only 2 inches in depth,but were not visible to the 5000 upon touch with the 14x7 NF. So I cannot put up a depth estimate on what I saw,as infinite.Also a 0.2 gram solid little nugget,could only be picked up/heard by the 14x7 NF and 5000 set in Special/Fine Gold,only upon the removal of an inch of topsoil.The tiny 0.2gm,was a measured 4 inches deep,buried in hard compact undisturbed,mineralized clay.The GPZ 7000 picked it up with a reasonably good response at 5 inches (an inch above the surface of the target)  
Different type/size gold,can produce different sensitivity/depth results over a nugget of the same weight,but on this particular 3 ounce specimen,with the 2.5 ounces of solid gold running through it,could only be picked up at 16 inches by the 5000 regardless of the largest coil used in our tests.(16" mono coil) The GPZ was capable of picking up the same 3 ounce gold speci,at 20 inches in depth.
Keep in mind people,that air tests can and will differ in depth results,when nuggets are found sitting,undisturbed,buried within their natural state, surrounded by a "Halo" of heavier conductive minerals/metals.
The above tests were all conducted over 3 separate areas,of variably changing,highly mineralized ground,found within Victoria's Golden Triangle.
The above tests were neither rocket science to understand,nor an amazing eye opener,but in all the above testing carried out,not once did the GPX 5000 show an overall improvement,nor that of even being on par with the depth capabilities of the GPZ 7000.By the way,both detectors were cranked up and ground balanced,to suit the actual ground conditions we were detecting over.
The up to 40% depth improvement,Minelab claims is possible using the GPZ 7000,over that of the GPX 5000,using an 11 inch mono,must not,nor should be misinterpreted as a general rule of thumb for all gold targets,but over gold that (as Minelab claim) come close to reaching or exceeding the 20oz mark.
Now,no point in getting stuck into me,for these were only my test results & the results I managed to achieve,when comparing the GPZ 7000 to that of the GPX 5000,with the coils listed above,on a variety of solid gold sizes,ranging from 0.2gm,1gm,3gm,5gm,7gm,some tiny gold specimens,a three pence & over that of a 3 ounce specimen containing 2.5 ounces of solid gold,over reasonably high mineralized ground,within Victoria's Golden Triangle.

Cheers Kon. What a Face
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Sun 29 Mar - 16:55

One comment Kon and people need to realise this.

The GPZ did that with ONE coil, where the 5000 (and others) need EVERY available coil to get close, and even then can't beat GPZ7000 in most situations.

I rest my case.
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Sun 29 Mar - 17:05

Hi Kon
Thanks for your report, I believe it reflects what I have seen.

Just one question in regards to the statement you made
You said
"The up to 40% depth improvement, Minelab claims is possible using the GPZ 7000,over that of the GPX 5000,using an 11 inch mono,must not,nor should be misinterpreted as a general rule of thumb for all gold targets,but over gold that (as Minelab claim) come close to reaching or exceeding the 20oz mark"
The section in Bold, where is it written that they meant nuggets close to 20 oz + for the 40% increase, I have not seen it! a bit cheeky to claim up to 40% increase in the ad's & not clearly say it is for this size nugget, we all know there are very few of these around.

Not trying to start anything on this I would just like to see the statement>

rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun 29 Mar - 17:22

Correcto mondo QLD Sandy. I found it to have all the attributes of the SDC 2300 8 inch coil combo,with the power of a GPX 5000 using an 18 inch mono coil & then some.
Even with the little time I had in testing/comparing it with,leaves me no doubt,as to its enhanced capabilities over any of the Minelab PIs before it,leaving room only for more refinement down the track.
As usual,research and time spent covering ground,will always play a major role as to the amount of gold one finds,over a certain period of time,but it sure is good to know your covering that ground with the best available tool for the job,towards the search for the "Golden Ointment"
Regardless of price,I have no doubt,that it will find gold of various types/size,which were and still are,just out of reach,of all previous PI detectors.
That's one thing I can't answer there for ya Lee,for I didn't have a 10 or 20oz solid flat gold nugget to compare it with and no point of giving you my 4x4 inch,kg dive weight report,as evidence.  Laughing All I will say the larger the slug of gold the greater the depth the 7000 will go,over that of the 5000 using an 11 inch or similar size mono to that of the GPZs 14 inch coil.The depth (as Minelab state) over the 20oz+ slug of gold in their add,as all can see,decreases as mono coils on the 5000 increase in size.All depending on the type/gold size of course.
The key here is to forget what you see in air tests but what this new technology/coil combo is doing in the ground as compared to a similar sized mono on A GPX 5000.

Cheers Kon.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Reno Chris Sun 29 Mar - 17:53

Adrian - I think my comment is quite well backed up. I've been reading the posts here more than I have actually posted, and yes I've read plenty of Slim's posts on the GPZ in the last month.
One merely has to examine his post here:
Be truthful now, and don't gild the lily.
That basically says if you have nice things to say about the GPZ, you are being dishonest and gilding the lily.  
The questions are the same:
Is it really an almost $5000 technological improvement;
At almost double the price of a GPX, has it been able to convince and prove to you;
Have you noticed that big a difference;
Are you convinced that the GPX 7000, is the correct way to go forward
The questions are asked in a way as to only solicit negative comments - anything else is dishonest according to Slim.  
For those blokes who have tried it and been disappointed, I fully respect their opinions even if my experience has been different; however for those blokes who have never operated a GPZ for even one hour to continually run them down gets zero respect or validity in my book.

for rc62burke - take a look at the scatter dot diagram in the GPZ white paper. This is a lot of data points of nuggets sampled with different 5000 timings and GPZ settings, although the points vary all over and some show better than 40% improvement with the GPZ, a lot of the dots are in the 10 to 20 percent range, meaning a lot of the time nuggets like those tested will be in the 10 to 20 percent improvement range, depending of course on a lot of factors. It seems like, looking at that chart, some of the greatest improvement vs. the  5000 is in the smaller end of the range of nuggets tested.
Reno Chris
Reno Chris
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 29 Mar - 18:17

slimpickens wrote:A question or two for those who have used the Zed and detect seriously.

answer) money doesn't always come into it. If you want to be using a better machine then the past ones,
then my answer is yes!

answer) YES! 

Answer) Havent done a lot of ground work with it yet, but I would say Yes

Answer) yes

answer ) yes.  

Answer) yes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 29 Mar - 18:39

I'll answer again
1 yes
2 yes
3 yes
4 no. But they will come, definitely. I'm getting 6 grammers at 14 in depth no probs
5 yes
6 without a doubt.
Righto, here in kal rumours have swept the place saying how bad zed is. I've now shown a few leaseholders it's capabilities after they heard how bad this machine is. I've convinced one person to purchase a zed and they like me detect non stop. Their reaction was the same as mine. Extremely surprised.
As to people failing with this unit their is simply something not right. I'm leaning to the ground they're trying in. In all honesty I've been going to the most flogged grounds but pulling small bits to 6 grams everyday easily.
To say I'm looking forward to revisiting certain grounds is a massive understatement. Anyway that's it from me.

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sun 29 Mar - 18:56

Reno Chris wrote:Adrian - I think my comment is quite well backed up. I've been reading the posts here more than I have actually posted, and yes I've read plenty of Slim's posts on the GPZ in the last month.
That basically says if you have nice things to say about the GPZ, you are being dishonest and gilding the lily.

No, that is not what it's saying. It's to stop people who don't really like their Zed from trying to justify their purchase and huge outlay.

At almost double the price of a GPX, has it been able to convince and prove to you;
The questions are asked in a way as to only solicit negative comments - anything else is dishonest according to Slim.

No they're not, your seeing things, there is nothing to stop you saying, "Yes it is a $5000 technological improvement"
or "Yes or No" to all questions.

For those blokes who have tried it and been disappointed, I fully respect their opinions even if my experience has been different; however for those blokes who have never operated a GPZ for even one hour to continually run them down gets zero respect or validity in my book.
Again, in this post, I have not run down the Zed. Since the zed has been in the field for a month, I thought I would get the members who have used it to offer their opinions.......that's all.

I think you are reading far too much into my questions Chris. I'm sorry if I don't ask the soft simple questions.
When you were made a Minelab tester, you should have been told that answering the hard questions is part of the territory.

Ps. As you can see Chris, people are answering the questions without any problems or angst. So your conspiratorial theories are a load of hogwash.
In fact, it is quite rude of you to come on to my post, which asks specific questions and go off topic. If you want to answer the questions do so, if not, stop interrupting members who want to, and get out of the way.

Last edited by slimpickens on Sun 29 Mar - 23:34; edited 3 times in total
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun 29 Mar - 19:08

I agree Lee,it is not written or stated as a general rule for nuggets close to or exceeding that of the 20 ouncer we saw Minelab use as a test piece in their video. When I refer to "as Minelab claim" in their advertising add,I refer to what we all saw during their video testing of the GPZ 7000 verses the GPX 5000 using a 20oz+ flat slug of gold as a depth comparison,between the 2 detectors. During my testing of the 7000 over that of the 5000,I noticed that the larger the lump or surface are of target,the greater the depth advantage the GPZ had over that of a 5000 using an 11 inch or in my case,using both a 14 and 16 inch round mono coil,could not get anywhere near the reach of the GPZs 14 inch coil as target size increased.Hence the "Up To" 40% claim.This gap distance difference,increased between the 2 detectors,as targets increased in size.But as was also stated here,the up to 40% increase is not on just larger size gold,but on difficult to pick up gold such that of spongy,thin,tiny/small/pin dot or bands of slither gold,found running through ironstone/quartz specimen,of any size.Now this might all sound ridiculous,but I'v witnessed the 7000 give off a signal on some fine difficult to pick up Ironstone/gold specimen,in the couple and few gram range,at 2 to 300% greater depth,than what the GPX 5000 could do,over the same type/size gold,even when using a smaller sized coil.

Cheers Kon. What a Face
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Wantmoregold Sun 29 Mar - 19:32

kon61 wrote: During my testing of the 7000 over that of the 5000,I noticed that the larger the lump or surface are of target,the greater the depth advantage the GPZ had over that of a 5000 using an 11 inch or in my case,using both a 14 and 16 inch round mono coil,could not get anywhere near the reach of the GPZs 14 inch coil as target size increased.Hence the "Up To" 40% claim.This gap distance difference,increased between the 2 detectors,as targets increased in size.

Kon61,

What settings did you use in your test with the 5000 and 7000?

Also what depths were your test targets at when the 7000 with its 14 coil produce the 40% extra depth over the 5000 with either the 14 and 16 monos?

WMG

Wantmoregold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sun 29 Mar - 19:36

Jen58 wrote:    Question for you Slim
when are you just going to go out and buy the bloody damn thing? V06  Come on! you know you want too 
so we can ask you some questions  lol!
[/quote]

Jen......... Jen, Jen, Jen.  Evil or Very Mad   As you well know, in the last 4 weeks I've been a bit busy selling the farm, buying a house in the goldfields, and preparing my mothers house for sale, as well as attending Tafe 2 days a week. I seriously haven't had the free time to buy it and use it, but I'm almost there. And yes, I know I want to.  Wink

Thanks everyone for your replies.
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Sun 29 Mar - 19:39

Hi Reno Chris
Mate I have not read it yet but do have a copy printed out (been busy) I did not even flick through it when I bound it with the manual I printed, I do not own one yet but am learning as much as I can without one in my hand, thanks for the heads up I did not realise it contained any test result charts of sorts!!

Kon
Yeah I know what you mean about that VID, a lot of subliminal messaging!!! whilst my time in the field seeing what the GPZ can do is limited, I can clearly see that it does what it was meant to do & quite well, we will all be better informed by the end of the season.

rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun 29 Mar - 20:57

Once again I agree with your last post statement Lee,But I'v lost you somewhere here.
The GPZ 7000 did not reach the 40% mark over that of the 5000 (Gain at factory pre-set,in Custom/Fine Gold timing).This I found to be the best setting we could get with the 5000 14 inch coil combo on the small as well as bigger multi-gram bits of gold as compared to Enhance.When the gold exceeded the 5 gram mark it didn't matter if the 5000 was set in Enhance for the results in terms of depth were pretty much on par with one another.Example the 5 gram nugget in Custom/fine gold with a  factory pre-set gain,picked up the nugget at 10 inches depth.The same could be said of the 16 inch round mono.The moment I tried upping the gain by 2 above factory pre-set,on the 5000,I got an extra inch in depth,but at the cost of a more noisy and unstable coil when put back on the ground.Remember all the tests had to be done under realistic ground conditions.Conditions that I could use the 5000 and 14 inch mono coil,running it reasonably comfortably & smoothly over the same stretch of ground I was doing my testing on.The GPZ 7000 was set in High Yeild,Audio smoothing on in low.Difficult,Manual tracking.
Now this is where I'v lost ya.I never pushed the GPZ on any gold larger than the 3 ounce speci I mentioned above and that only went to the 20 inch mark,16 inches on the 5000 with the 16 inch round mono.(about 15 inches deep on the 14 round) over this particular type/size gold specimen.Leaving me with only a 20% overall depth jump over that of the 5000 and 16 inch mono coil.Actually the 17x11,14 round,NFs and 16 round Detech mono were almost all on par with one another when it came to the 3 ounce speci.
Now using the 14x7 NF and 5000 over a naturally buried,undisturbed 0.2 gram nugget in highly mineralized ground,could only be heard at a depth of 3 inches,(2 inches with the 14 inch round mono),as compared to a depth of 5 inches with the GPZ. Now the % jump of 3 to 5 inches worked out to be around 40% no?
I should have documented everything I got in Enhance as well,cause all I remember of that is,the moment the nugget size reached 5 to 7 grams both Enhance or Fine gold timing started producing similar depth results,especially over the 3oz speci.
The problem that lies here Lee,is that unless results can be duplicated by someone else,using exactly what I used in terms of equipment/timings/coils/gold & ground conditions,results will be prone to differentiation.Some for the better some for the worst.

Cheers Kon.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 29 Mar - 21:02

Reno Chris wrote:Adrian - I think my comment is quite well backed up. I've been reading the posts here more than I have actually posted, and yes I've read plenty of Slim's posts on the GPZ in the last month.

for rc62burke - take a look at the scatter dot diagram in the GPZ white paper. This is a lot of data points of nuggets sampled with different 5000 timings and GPZ settings, although the points vary all over and some show better than 40% improvement with the GPZ, a lot of the dots are in the 10 to 20 percent range, meaning a lot of the time nuggets like those tested will be in the 10 to 20 percent improvement range, depending of course on a lot of factors. It seems like, looking at that chart, some of the greatest improvement vs. the  5000 is in the smaller end of the range of nuggets tested.

Hi Chris.
I think you see things in the way Aussies talk/think  a bit differently to us. This is not suprising seeing as we are said to be all decended from criminals.  affraid
Saying not to gild the lilly is telling people not to embelish or exagerate which some of us are guilty of doing when we are having difficulty admitting that we may have made a mistake about something or when we have a particular loyalty to something which in this case  is Minelab and the performance capability of the GPZ7000. Some may have decided that the detector is not living up to their high expectations but will not admit it and so will say the detector is fantastic when questioned about it while at the same time hoping that the tecta will bang on a deep big nugg which will justify their big cash outlay which will silence the "I told You so" crowd.

As to the way the questions were asked.
I didnot feel like I was being railroaded into answering negatively. I just responded with answers based on what I have experienced and heard from others who have the 7000......The responses are short and sweet because I  didn't feel like going into a lot of long winded ramblings.

It is  funny realy because even though I have worked my way through 53 different metal detectors, done a few field tests, built a few detectors and have been metal detecting for coins, relics, treasure and gold near enough continuously since 1960; Just lately I am begining to feel as though I know very little about this pastime.........I will blame this on endone. I have got to get off the endone. Smile

Last edited by adrian ss on Sun 29 Mar - 21:10; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun 29 Mar - 21:08

Easy there Adrian,do I look like a crim to you? Actually,don't answer that until I'v had a bath and shave. Q35
Adrian one must never forget,life is a continuous learning curve,till the day we carc it.

Cheers Kon.Q35
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 29 Mar - 21:14

Well yer avatar looks Ok. Q25
I think my Learning Curve has just gone full circle.

Last edited by adrian ss on Sun 29 Mar - 21:22; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next