Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

7000 Earphone Problem

4 posters

Go down

7000 Earphone Problem Empty 7000 Earphone Problem

Post  MacRob Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:02 pm

Has anyone tried running the earphones directly from the detector battery. It is ok while you are swinging however when you try to put the detector on the ground to dig the phones come straight off your head because the wire is not long enough.
I know you can run them through the WM12 however it means you are totally reliant on the WM12 not failing, ie, flat battery.
Also I thought I read that you use less battery by running the phones straight from the detector.

MacRob
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2010-12-06

Back to top Go down

7000 Earphone Problem Empty Re: 7000 Earphone Problem

Post  pilbara snapper Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:30 pm

G'day mac,
Yep had the same problem and its a basic thing that minelab should have sorted by putting a longer curly cable on the head phones.

Two things you can try, when digging place the coil away from you so that the battery pack is close to your foot that gives less strain on the head phone plug or take the headphones off while you dig then slip back on when rechecking the target
Regards snapper

pilbara snapper
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:05 pm

G'day MacRob,

Yes I found that as well when you plug into the control box socket so I used the WM12 and this eliminated that problem, I also find when trying to retrieve your target I couldn't reach the coil while plugged into the control box. I have been using the WM12 on its own as a speaker and find it much better, I have it attached to my right shoulder on the harness. Hope this helps and I haven't had the batteries in either the Detector or the WM12 go flat in the times I've been going out. Just recharge them when I get back home.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  MacRob Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:22 pm

Thanks for your reply Snapper, Yeh, tried your suggestions and every which way but it is a totally unacceptable way to detect and very time consuming. Being tall, I can't even get the detector to the ground before the earphones fall off and there is a tremendous strain on the cable. I think many will have problems and Minelab have totally failed in regard to this matter.

MacRob
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Aurumick Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:02 pm

Extension lead might help.
Aurumick
Aurumick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2014-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Reno Chris Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:42 am

Extension lead might help.

Good point -as the GPZ has a standard audio jack, its no issue to buy or make up an extension.
Reno Chris
Reno Chris
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:02 am

https://www.swamp.net.au/curly-guitar-lead.html
Ebay (free postage): http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310576671538?nav=SEARCH
I use these on the SDC (with Nenads adapter). I find them more robust than Jaycar leads. They will also change the straight plug over to a heavy duty socket with locking mechanism (at a cost) or you could use something like this:
https://www.swamp.net.au/swamp-audio-adapter-1-4-f-trs-to-1-4-f-trs-stereo.html

They also have good bags that fit detectors:
https://www.swamp.net.au/keyboard-bag-88.html

You are right though - Minelab need to have longer headphone cords for the SDC & GPZ or supply them with extensions to suit but they probably won't so we do what we need I guess.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:55 am

G'day MacRob,

I have found by using the WM12 you are totally free from the detector except for the bungee of cause, but the way I have mine set up it is so simple I just slip the loop off. Then place the detector where you don't cover it with the dirt/dust from your digging out the target. It is so much better IMHO.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  MacRob Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:49 am

Hi Mike,
Must agree, it is really advantageous being totally free from the detector when using the WM12, however my point was that it was disappointing when I found out about the earphone problem because I had left the WM12 at home and thought there was another way I could overcome the problem. With the 4500/5000 you always had the back up in the event of a problem with either earphones or speaker. I realise I can arrange an extension to the earphone wire but should we have to, Minelab should have had this one sorted. Happy days, Rob

MacRob
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:14 am

G'day MacRob,

Thanks for your reply, yes I can see your point and you are right doesn't seem like a lot of thought has gone into that side of things. What I usually do after charging the battery & the WM12 I place the WM12 onto the arm strap of the detector, that way I know it is always with the detector.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:26 am

Mike54 wrote:
 What I usually do after charging the battery & the WM12 I place the WM12 onto the arm strap of the detector, that way I know it is always with the detector.  

Cheers.

Mike.  

I do the same Mike, and even detect like this for a quick swing in a spot if I don't want to get harnessed up.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:55 am

Yes same here Dave I do exactly the same thing. T06 Then if I harness up I place it on my right shoulder.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down