Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

11" DD Problem....

+2
detecta2
goldtimer
6 posters

Go down

11" DD Problem.... Empty 11" DD Problem....

Post  goldtimer Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:01 pm

Hi all, I was out using the 11" DD that came standard on my 4000, it was running super quiet, so quiet that I became suspicious as to whether it was working. I passed it over my shovel and it only just made a tiny signal, I changed front endcap to Cancel, and it went off on the shovel, but only about 20% as loud as it should be. I tried moving the cable at the detector end, and at the coil end, no noise.
Has anyone else had this happen to them? It's not the detector, because I tried on another coil and it worked fine (Whew)
Should I send it to ML? or would I be better to bin it and buy another?
Any advice would be appreciated
Cheers
GT

goldtimer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

11" DD Problem.... Empty Re: 11" DD Problem....

Post  detecta2 Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:47 pm

The coils only have 2 year warranty, recently sent a dd back that belonged to a machine i wanted to sell, if the problem is in bottom end they bin it ,if just connection at top it will cost you $10 post + $45, thats the minimum charge. these coils are $245 if you want to buy a new one, I recently bought brand new commander 11"dd on ebay for $100, I think there commanders now wth the 5000, where previously they were labelled gp series. a lot of blokes dont use them so cash them for other coils. phill

detecta2
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  angus Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:10 pm

Giday Goldtimer,
if you think it is stuffed ,before you bin, it id pull it apart and have a look maybe its an easy fix with no rocket chemistry required.
i would any way .Id pull it apart on the kitchen table, get told off by the missus, move it to the shed, loose a part ,cover it with tools ,
get back to it later, put it back together making sure at least one [ not sure where it go's] part is left over .
sometimes works for me Laughing then id buy a new one if it dont Smile
angus
angus
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:25 pm

G'day Goldtimer.

Pull your 4 pin coil plug socket apart and check for any wires that might have broken off the soldered terminal plug connections. If all seem good,then the problem most likely exists in the coil end side.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:19 am

funny angus Laughing
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtimer Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:59 am

OK, I'm going to (a) Check that the problem isn't in the detector end of the cable so I don't wreck a perfectly OK coil , then if it isn't,
(b) Have a first hand look at the inside of a ML 11" DD. lol!

I'm a bit annoyed that this coil has s**t itself, especially after all of those nuggets that it has found me. The trip before I found a 3.5 grammer with the same coil, at well over a foot deep....
Anyways, thanks for all your advice guys...
Cheers
GT

goldtimer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:40 am

angus wrote:Giday Goldtimer,
if you think it is stuffed ,before you bin, it id pull it apart and have a look maybe its an easy fix with no rocket chemistry required.
i would any way .Id pull it apart on the kitchen table, get told off by the missus, move it to the shed, loose a part ,cover it with tools ,
get back to it later, put it back together making sure at least one [ not sure where it go's] part is left over .
sometimes works for me Laughing then id buy a new one if it dont Smile

You forgot to mention,
Wrap some of it up with top quality electrical tape bought from coles, a cable tie found by the road side once when fixing a flat tyre, ( that will come in handy one day ) lip gloss that some how found its way into your trousers pocket ( good for squealing fan-belts on pajero's ), which had to be my daughters as my wife's lips would take something more like......... wood lacquer to shine, but thats neither here or there as your girlfriends lips most probably shine without any artificial influences anyway...... an o-ring that came out of a carburetor kit some years back, a squirt of good ol WD-40, some masking tape to hold the shielding in place so as to keep the authentic look in case its ever re-opened again by someone who knows boats, and last but not least..........silicone the skid plate back on and Ebay it...as you would! Very Happy
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:33 am

Gday Goldtimer

I would go for the checking of the soldering to the plug first and foremost, more often than not it will be the most obvious thing rather than an internal problem, judging by you saying that it worked fine the last time you used it then maybe unplugging it from the machine loosened the wiring in the plug.

If that is ok then put it back on the detector and give the wire where it goes into the coil a bit of a wiggle and see it that generates a response, if it does then you will at least know that the problem is one for minelab to fix, if its a relatively new coil then it wil be worth your while to send it to minelab and even if it costs you $50 or so it will still save you a couple of hundred on the cost of getting another one.

Once again check the plug and soldering first, very carefully, as I have found by past experience and after disecting something without bothering to check the most obvious thing like a plug or a fitting properly, that you end up having to go back to the start after finding nothing obvious inside it, and thats where the problem will be. Mad

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:40 am

narrawa clown
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down