Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got the Fever, Only One Cure!

3 posters

Go down

Got the Fever, Only One Cure! Empty Got the Fever, Only One Cure!

Post  splinterdog Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:09 pm

Good evening folks. I am relatively new to detecting and this is my first time on the forum. I am fortunate enough to have a friend with a trusty 4500. He introduced me to detecting about half a dozen times last year, with moderate success, and even donated a couple of small nuggets to me for my efforts on the pick! This had the desired effect and the fever took hold. I read the posts on this site with interest and did a bit of study on the subject. After a great deal of soul searching, and encouragement from 'she who must be obeyed', I lashed out in the 1st week of February and took possession of a brand new GPX5000. Some blokes spend 1000's on golf clubs so they can wander around hitting a ball with a stick, thereby ruining said walk. Other blokes spend tens of 1000's on a boat, to head out a couple of times a year, then throw up in rough weather for a kilogram of flathead. I like the bush. and was brought up in the bush. I have 2 great, great grandfathers who were ex-convicts who found themselves digging for gold in Carngham, Ballarat and Bendigo in the 1850's. One was successful, one was not. One beat a charge of murdering his wife on the goldfields but died a rich and successful miner well into his 90's. The other received 36 lashes at Port Arthur before being granted his ticket of leave and shooting through to Bendigo in 1855. Locked up numerous times for drinking and fighting, never had 2 bob to his name and died in a lunatic asylum in the 1870's. Which side of the family will I take after? All I can say about that is that my wife is safe!!. Anyway, after the 3 hour one on one instruction on the use of the 5000 which was invaluable seeing that I had never used one before, off I toddled into clouds of march flies with my detector humming along nicely. Between 12.00 noon and 4.00 p.m. that 1st day I dug 4 nuggets for 1 gram. Excited? You bet. Since that day I have been back a further 11 times to the general vicinity, including 2 overnighters and now have 33 pieces. They might not be big uns', but at this stage of proceedings I can't think of a better way to learn the detector and learn the ground. The information I have gleaned from this forum has assisted me and provided information about this terrific hobby. You never stop learning, and with knowledge comes greater satisfaction. So thanks to those on the forum for your input, and thanks for reading this story. It provides even more incentive and best reason to get out into the bush.

splinterdog
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-04-13

Back to top Go down

Got the Fever, Only One Cure! Empty Re: Got the Fever, Only One Cure!

Post  Guest Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi Splinterdog.

Q31  to the forum and thanks for joining.

Can't wait to hear of more of your gold finding adventures.

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi Splinterdog, welcome to the forum your family heritage, especially the lunatic aspect V32  will be of great benefit to you in this game , good luck out there. Wink.

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  splinterdog Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:06 pm

Thanks Jen 58 & Digginerup. So long as I keep picking up bits I might stay out of the asylum. I must be doing something right because I've only come home empty handed on one occasion, and I remember that day very well. It was about 35 degrees in the Whipstick, one of those inch long bullants somehow found it's way between my harness and ribcage and decided to chew through my shirt, and by the end of the day all concentration was lost and I found myself wallowing in the Raywood Channel like a lilly white walrus. Kangaroos were startled!

splinterdog
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:11 pm

G'day splinterdog & welcome to the forum

Looks like your going to be enjoying this hobby for a long time yet.  Very Happy Very Happy  it's good when a plan comes together and it's even better when you can get out and do what you enjoy doing.

All the best out there, and by the way you are learning fast, you will make your own luck.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  wobblie cog bob Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:38 pm

Welcome splinterdog I rekon you have started off on the right foot mate , keep it up . Hey your doin better than me at the moment . Cheers Rob
wobblie cog bob
wobblie cog bob
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:29 pm

Welcome splinterdog.

It look like you are enjoy it and finding some bits so keep doing what you doing.You must be doing something right.

You have the best tool for a job.

You have right approach to the hobby.
Good luck and enjoy the forum.

GoldEN

Back to top Go down

Post  splinterdog Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:15 pm

Thanks chaps, went back and found 2 more small bits on Wednesday afternoon. The first came to .3gm and then dug up what was obviously a bit of junk and in fact turned out to be a twisted fragment of a bullet. Filled the hole and stepped back to check it again and got a signal about 12 inches away. Dug that one and got a piece at .6gm. Went home happy.

Splinter

splinterdog
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:47 pm

Well done Splinterdog

I love a happy ending Q40 
In your case a happy end to your afternoon out detecting  T23 

Back to top Go down