Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whites Spectra V3i

+5
slimpickens
GoldenGus
CrazyPete
GoldHound
Narrawa
9 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Whites Spectra V3i - Page 3 Empty Re: Whites Spectra V3i

Post  Narrawa Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:49 pm

Took the V3i out to an old swimming hole this arvo, and it finds Gold.   Not once but three times in a row.  T18 
4" inch mark on Skippy...6" inch on the ring and about 6" on the chain and cross combo.
Found some old coin as well...1944 Three pence & 1936 Six pence...plus some current coin not pictured.

Whites Spectra V3i - Page 3 P1370731_zps094763a8

Whites Spectra V3i - Page 3 P1370756_zps05f02204
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:52 pm

Someone yells out to me "NARRAWA FOUND GOLD WITH HIS NEW MACHINE"
I jump online thinking " GOLD!!! "

I was expecting to see gold nuggets!

Your doing well with that machine  T12  some interesting looking trinkets there.  Q27 
keep searching though, still have a way to go  Wink 

Well back to the  T35

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:38 pm

Not a real good comparison given that.... size doe's matter when it comes to coils.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elpZY99S6I0
No V3i which was disappointing, not that i would have payed much attention due to no GBing taking place. However i may have missed that bit due to editing to same time and film size..??
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:59 pm

You're way ahead of me (surprise!  Q23 )

So far, I've found:

- 1 x 5c coin, rolled up

- 1 x eyelet from a tarp

- 1 x broken piece of printed circuit board

- 43 x pieces of Carlton Draught can slaw

- 2 x bottle tops

- 1 x Stainless teel nut that I dropped at a camp site (most valuable find yet)

- lots of other alum junk incl ring pulls

I've probably used it for 2 hours max all up, and both times in v junky & detected areas... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Going to give it a run at a beach this weekend.

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:09 am

Glad you could rejoin the V3i club, lenoil!!  Evil or Very Mad  Here i was thinking you and the pro were my friends, Sad  you left me here like a shag on a rock with no one to report my findings to other than Mike & Jen...thx guys for reading my posts, i will contact my employer and see to it your politeness fee in increased for putting up with my ramblings. Laughing  Laughing

If i knew i was going to be the only one making an effort here on the V3i, id have purchased one of those silly X-Terra 705s, and stood in line waiting for a Frontal Lobotomy.  Q04 However, since its my B/day today, that frontal lobotomy has turned into a bottle infront of me.  T17  T18 Just as well cuz i was going to have a dummy spit over the class size anyway. Rolling Eyes

Well done on your efforts thus far mate, i dont believe im that far in front of you, and im happy to bring you up to speed with what it is im using in the way of modified patters....at a cost of cause. T05 

Have fun on the beach.  Q22 

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:46 am

Narrawa wrote:Glad you could rejoin the V3i club, lenoil!!  Evil or Very Mad  Here i was thinking you and the pro were my friends, Sad  you left me here like a shag on a rock with no one to report my findings to other than Mike & Jen...thx guys for reading my posts, i will contact my employer and see to it your politeness fee in increased for putting up with my ramblings. Laughing  Laughing

If i knew i was going to be the only one making an effort here on the V3i, id have purchased one of those silly X-Terra 705s, and stood in line waiting for a Frontal Lobotomy.  Q04 However, since its my B/day today, that frontal lobotomy has turned into a bottle infront of me.  T17  T18 Just as well cuz i was going to have a dummy spit over the class size anyway. Rolling Eyes

Well done on your efforts thus far mate, i dont believe im that far in front of you, and im happy to bring you up to speed with what it is im using in the way of modified patters....at a cost of cause. T05 

Hey Narrawa
Mate there are others watching, T37  T37  that lobotomy joke is a ripper.
Can't comment as "I know nothing
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Whites Spectra V3i - Page 3 Empty Hang in their guys with the v3i

Post  pinpointa Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:25 pm

Great going their Narrawa looks like you are getting the hang of it.
After 200 hours of handling it you should get a bit of a grip of the setup that enables you to set up the v to make it suited to your style of beeping.

I did have an e-trac for a fair while and spent many hours putting it through its pacers but after using it over the same area with the v3 gridding an area 2 meters x 2 meters , going north, south , east, and west over burried targets the v3 just walked all over the trac so the e went. When i am out their i need to have the very best tool to get the goodies and the v3 has to be the best programable detector i have ever used in the 36 years of detecting.

One very important thing with the v3 i have found after using it now for over 4 years is not to over power it. And get the recovery speed right with the the right filter . If you are running it to hot its like driving in the fog with your lights on high beam.

Regards Pinpointa.  Laughing Smile 
pinpointa
pinpointa
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2014-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:23 pm

Sorry for leaving ya hanging Narrawa  Q41 
I'm still getting one but I got car expenses at the moment (main bearing seal, new suspension, both front wheel bearings, rear brake pads, front break pads+ machine discs, 6x new tire's, new belts, all fluids changed) and because I rely on my car to make a living its of utmost importance to keep it in reliable condition.

By the end of the month I should be back on top and I'll get one then.

I've read the manual more than 10x now so I'm think I'm going to pick it up pretty quick.

Ive been watching your progress with great interest and you seem to be putting it together nicely and ya already got ya first gold with it  Q36 

I'm itching to get a new detector I was even considering selling the ctx  scratch but then I couldn't do comparisons and I really want to see how they compare.

Have you had a look at any extra coils yet Narrawa?
I recon the 13in ultimate coil from detech would be a killer on it for old coins and one of the small whites elliptical's for nuggets.
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2014-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:43 pm

Sorry Narrawa, but you just ain't cutting it with your "progress"  clown

See, I spent about 1.5 hours on a beach on Saturday arvo/eve and found all (yes, all  What a Face ) the stuff listed below:

- 10c coin x1

- beer bottle top x 3

- fishing sinker/hook (about 14" down in damp sand)

I kid you not, this is all I found! Granted, it's not a mega-popular city beach, but there would have been at least couple of hundred people coming and going on this beach on Saturday (I spent most of the day there, just not detecting for most of it) and that's all I found in the main area where they were hanging out. Couldn't try the low tide line though, for an obvious reason (ie. I was detecting at high tide).

I'm still looking forward to having a good few full days (and more) to completely dedicate to mucking around with it properly without rushing...

Although, to be honest, I get the feeling that I'll be doing more of copying your (and others') settings more than I will be coming up with them on my own (so feel free to share Very Happy )

I must admit that although I like the idea of really sinking my teeth into the inner workings of this machine and figuring it all out for myself, I don't know if I'll be able (or willing) to devote the time (or brainpower) required to fully understand it all from the inside out   No   Question 

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:08 pm

Good morning class.... Very Happy

Took mine out to a local goldfield and gave it a bit of a frigg. For now i think i'll stick to parks and back yards...OUCH!!! This ground was causing the GPXs to spook, so with limited knowledge in the AM and prospecting modes, i was owned this time round.
The last few days were a little hot to say the least, and i wasn't really expecting to find gold nuggets with it, i was targeting ruins and old camp areas, but none really stood out this short trip. It works no probs in Disc modes as long as you keep the main gain down....Just as Pinpointer says....using it now for over 4 years is not to over power it.Ironstone really plays havoc with it and i had to back the gain down to 2 in order to get it usable. Even than it still went into Overload in areas of higher concentrations with the D2 coil. The MXT and GMT still have the edge here till more time is spent using it and getting to know the AM and prospecting modes. Yet my aim is not nugget shooting with the V3i, but id like to be able to use these modes when more acquainted with it for the odd nugget shoot.

pinpointa, it didn't take long to realize how easy it is to over power this unit in the wrong soil. Like the gold detectors, one must get in touch with it, and learn the ground to be come one. I know the ground, but im not completely in touch with the V3i, and it certainly speaks a different lingo when your new.  Laughing

Lenoil, i was going to give you a number of items to find, but i see from your list that you have already exceeded those items by x1 bottle top. Laughing Laughing

Copy all you like mate, thats the name of the game, iv copied programs from others, yet haven't really found any benefit from them. That could be because im still just a newbie and dont fully understand what im doing with it yet in regards to certain settings and their true meanings.?
My problem is i like to fiddle to much, and this detector certainly accommodates that like.
What i should really be doing is, finding one pre set program, copy it, and use the original for reference while i make minor adjustments to the duplicated one learning as i go. However, im on the road to nowhere and im late. Laughing

Aurumpro, i know what your saying, i have yet to fit these parts that are taking up room in my van.......
2x front drive shafts complete,
.... front disc rotors, brake pads,
.....Front bottom ball joints.
.....front set of studs and nuts,
4x front wheel bearings,
Iv just replaced the rear brake drums and shoes, and done the axle seals. 4x new Maxis Bravo 753s tyres fitted, and added a 2-1/2" exhaust and K&N filter. Lube service is next.
When i arrived at the goldfields on Sunday, the power steering hose blew...B@stard!!.. Did a quick fix yesty till i get into town and replace both hoses. Rolling Eyes

Iv just acquired a Whites  MXT with 3 coils, 10x6" DD eclipse, 10" round concentric and 5.3" shooter, They all fit the V3i, but iv not got around to testing any on it just yet. I have to learn that detector asap so the missus can get in on the act and join in on the coining fun. One thing im not all that interested in with the V3i is depth. My main interest with it is coins and jewelry, and iv already seen the depth its capable of with the std D2 coil. The SEF and Detech coils of the larger verity only mean one thing...deeper holes i have to dig. The stock coil has already indicated items at 12". Thats not an easy dig with the hand tools commonly associated with coin detectors, and would require the use of my Malleeboy pick. Laughing Laughing Could you imagine walking into a park with such a weapon.? affraid

When your comparing the V3i with the CTX, dont be to hard on the CTX...remember, its water proof and the V3i isn't.  Q34
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:33 pm

Narrawa wrote:Glad you could rejoin the V3i club, lenoil!!  Evil or Very Mad  Here i was thinking you and the pro were my friends, Sad  you left me here like a shag on a rock with no one to report my findings to other than Mike & Jen...thx guys for reading my posts, i will contact my employer and see to it your politeness fee in increased for putting up with my ramblings. Laughing  Laughing

I missed this post for some reason until now... been using my phone to read the forum a lot lately, and it seems to be easier to miss posts.

That frontal lobotomy wisecrack is a good one!  Smile Laughing  Razz 

Narrawa wrote: and im happy to bring you up to speed with what it is im using in the way of modified patters....at a cost of cause. T05 

Ok, ok... what's the cost per pattern??  pale 

Happy birthday for the other day, by the way!

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:13 pm

There wont be any charge.....................................for those who attend class on a regular basis. lol!

All good mate, i have nothing set in stone ATM, im constantly playing with the settings and menus to see just how much my brain can take before it implodes.  scratch 

Just learning the differences that each setting performs, and how much to tweak it till a noticeable effect is had. Once i have something worthy, i'll punch it into one of the patterns im using as a keeper. When the pattern is complete and doing a reasonable job, i'll put it up for others to try.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:58 am

Narrawa wrote:
There wont be any charge.....................................for those who attend class on a regular basis. lol!

All good mate, i have nothing set in stone ATM, im constantly playing with the settings and menus to see just how much my brain can take before it implodes.  scratch 

Just learning the differences that each setting performs, and how much to tweak it till a noticeable effect is had. Once i have something worthy, i'll punch it into one of the patterns im using as a keeper. When the pattern is complete and doing a reasonable job, i'll put it up for others to try.

Hey Narrawa
Will these patterns be affected by the different ground condition in different locations? & will they work well in parks or beaches alike or will you have to have different patterns??
I don't have a V3i & can't see me getting one, but can still gain insight here.
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:27 pm

Lee,
Will these patterns be affected by the different ground condition in different locations?
Yes. There are 3 gain controls on this unit, all three would need to be checked/adjusted over the ground the person has elected to hunt on, due to the ground being more/less mineralized. EMI or close proximity to buildings and sources of interference will effect the amount of gain. Than the off-set would need to checked and the ground filter. The rest of the settings would probably be ok as they would most likely be the amount of disc used and audio patterns and user preferred settings.

When i get around to sharing a pattern, only the settings that have the most impact will be put up, its up to the operator to set his/her listening/color/button pleasures.
The original program will be shared and all other settings not molested will be FP for that program.  That will same time and questioning as to the settings not mentioned in the new pattern. (and there are many)
EMI doe's not effect the VLFs to the same degree it does the PIs, but the ground doe's. So when a new pattern in put up, i look at the disc amount to see what they are either hiding in the way of visual or audible effects, which this detector can do. While telling it not to hear trash items, it can still see them/show them to you. That way you can see/hear a good target next to crap iron. Same with the audio....hear but not see. Off-sets and ground filters effect the disc function, this is something that needs to be understood when loading a pattern. Not much point loading a pattern from someone working easy ground if your ground is hot as. His/her filters will not work the same on your/our ground. But, there maybe other aspects of that pattern that may appeal to you.?
Combine what appeals with what works and you now have a new pattern that maybe good for others in your area, or ground conditions.
These detectors have a probe function that can be looked at when all settings are said and done, from that you can gain valuable info if your probe readings come up the same/similar as that of the person putting up the pattern. Its to do with the ground reading and interference per freq....the V3i has three combined or individual per user preference. Others can gauge various things from your ground/probe readings, and suggest settings or help.?

Understanding this detectors functions is one thing...putting it into action in the field is another. Laughing
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  pinpointa Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:25 pm

Hi Guys,

The most important thing to do at all times if you are on the gold fields with the v3i is ground balance and ground balance maybe 20 times and then turn off autotrac. Rebalance every 15 to 20 minutes. If the minerialisation is really deadly then you need to swap over to either the 6x4 shooter or the 9x6 elleptical and make shaw that you keep the coil at consistant height off the ground at all times and slow down with your sweep speed.

Using your ground probe is a must to give you a good idea of how light or heavy minerialisation is. [ground tracking on live control bar then zoom]

Slow sweep speed and balance regularly is the key. If you see red in your spectragraph its iron of some sort. If you are running to hot you need to cut back on your sensitivity to get a good ground balance, lower your rx gain and all metal till the v is copeing. I have some pea gravel which is pretty hot in a mass and the v handles it no problem. The v3i is a very capable piece of technology for finding gold but it is designed basically as a powerfull coin detecting machine.

There is no doubt that the v3i is a fantastic designed piece of equipment but all that technology is not needed for gold prospecting.

Like all detectors some shine in different circumstances than others. You must  apply each detector as a tool to have the edge to give you an advantage.

Some coils have problems, i have a 9x6 elleptical which will overload at rx10  which if the coil is good should go to 15 with tx boost off.
This coil will have to go back to the states to be replaced.

I have used this detector for over 4 years now and i bought it off a dealer in melbourne who used it on the gold fields in the triangle. It come with all the goodies wireless headphones, which are fantastic apart from getting  a bit hot around the ears in summer. 10dd, 9x6 elleptical and the 6x4 shooter at that time i paid $1600 which was in showroom condition.

Hope this is a bit of a help but as the v3 is very, very complex in setting up you only have to stuff up with one setting and its back to restore to set up again. One last thing do not over power the v to get the most out of it.
Regards Pinpointa.  Very Happy Smile bounce Smile Razz
pinpointa
pinpointa
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:56 pm

Thx Pinpointer, lots of good info there. Keep it coming its well received.

cheers
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:06 pm

Narrawa wrote:Good morning class.... Very Happy

Aurumpro, i know what your saying, i have yet to fit these parts that are taking up room in my van.......
2x front drive shafts complete,
.... front disc rotors, brake pads,
.....Front bottom ball joints.
.....front set of studs and nuts,
4x front wheel bearings,
Iv just replaced the rear brake drums and shoes, and done the axle seals. 4x new Maxis Bravo 753s tyres fitted, and added a 2-1/2" exhaust and K&N filter. Lube service is next.
When i arrived at the goldfields on Sunday, the power steering hose blew...B@stard!!.. Did a quick fix yesty till i get into town and replace both hoses. Rolling Eyes

Iv just acquired a Whites  MXT with 3 coils, 10x6" DD eclipse, 10" round concentric and 5.3" shooter, They all fit the V3i, but iv not got around to testing any on it just yet. I have to learn that detector asap so the missus can get in on the act and join in on the coining fun. One thing im not all that interested in with the V3i is depth. My main interest with it is coins and jewelry, and iv already seen the depth its capable of with the std D2 coil. The SEF and Detech coils of the larger verity only mean one thing...deeper holes i have to dig. The stock coil has already indicated items at 12". Thats not an easy dig with the hand tools commonly associated with coin detectors, and would require the use of my Malleeboy pick. Laughing Laughing Could you imagine walking into a park with such a weapon.? affraid

When your comparing the V3i with the CTX, dont be to hard on the CTX...remember, its water proof and the V3i isn't.  Q34

Good morning Mr Narrawa

Fixed most of mi problems on the car just got the suspension to go and I'm pickin up the kit tomorrow and then I'll fit it on Saturday, then hopefully fingers crossed I don't find any more probs. Q07 
As soon as I get the detector and become familiar with it I'm going to fit a 13in detec coil and get familiar with that and then I,m going to take it to a spot where I gridded and cross gridded with the ctx, I pulled 217 old silver coins with the ctx.
All of them deeper than 150mm (as the areas been topped and re grassed) and there's a fair bit of deep iron junk clutter and new ally swarf on top.
Cant wait to see how much I missed, the ctx really performed well there, so it'll be pretty hard to beat but It looks like it could have a chance.
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  pinpointa Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:34 am

Hi Guys ,

I am allways sceptical of some of these guys with their depths with coils. I have used many many brands of detectors since i started detecting and selling detectors in Melbourne in 1977. The old deepseeker garrett had excellent depth and its what Kevin Heiller found the the hand of faith with.

Minelab have had some great detectors through the years and i have tried each model as the changes have taken place. The e-trac is a great detector but on fine gold chains and thin gold rings not a chance. Their is things that the e-trac and the ctx can do that the v3i cant do and vice versa its horses for courses.

I was interested to see how these designer coils would go on the v3i. So i have a freind who did work for minelab a few years ago who has got the v3i and he had aquired a 10 x 12 white detech coil for his whites v3i. So i give him my settings in mixed mode which is a trickey mode to use but a lot of guys just cannot get a grip on setting it up and i would not explain as you would just get so confused.

But after giving him the settings which was identical to mine With the 10 x 12 coil with a $2 coin inside a 25mm pvc filled with sand which was taken out of the hole with another pvc tube so the soil around the coin is identical with moisture as you go deeper.

By doing this its if the coin was burried their but without the halo effect Which would have a little more depth than just being burried. Any way the extra depth over the Whites d2 coil against the 10 x 12 white v rated detech was wait for it 25mm extra.
The Detech 10x12 coil hits a bit better on coins on edge with more ground coverage and thats it.

The problem with larger coils the bigger you go the more sensitivity is lost and they are not suitable to very contaminated sites.

Then i thought i will get him to do a test on the 13 detech ultimate coil and that had no extra depth over the standard 10 d2  coil but was a little better on coins on edge.

If I was using the v3i in an area where their is pre decimal coins i would be using a pumped up program in deep silver.

Hope this is a help Regards Pinpointa.

Last edited by pinpointa on Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
pinpointa
pinpointa
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:57 am

Mr Pro.. Very Happy 

Time will tell how it stacks up against the 30/30 on our soil. FBS hammers on silver, which is what i found when i had them some years ago.
Still, the write ups on them today show things have changed for the better. However i could not bring myself to get an E-trac or 30/30 after having the earlier versions, i had to have something different this time round. After researching a few different sorts, i focused on the manufacturer and their service. That research was met with a sigh of relief after reading the many satisfied reports. Speaking with the ozy dealer also gave relief when asking about warranty and service.

I hope you find the V3i to be a better machine for the style of detecting you do, or its going to be another time waste in which we all face from time to time. Much the same way as the GMT fell short of my expectations when putting it down in WA soil. The write ups said it was the best for the type of hunting i was to carry out. Tho a top little machine, it did not perform for me in the end. In its defense, it indicated hot rocks at a very consistent reading, but it missed gold masked by these rocks. Having no Disc feature other than the iron ID, which at the time of my thinking was the better prospect than human error with over doing the disc feature on detectors having variable adjusters.

pinpointa, here's my first attempt at stereo mixed mode...

I donned the earphones and headed on over to the mixed mode and stereo mixed mode...and  the bag-pipes began to play.  Shocked Hearing bad metal in one ear and good metal in the other, combined with multiple visuals. I gave it a quick run the other day and was able to pull up an old brass key between iron. What got me was the tiny amount of coil movement between the metals and receiving just the signal from the key. A tad either side was the distinct tone from iron. The smaller elip coils would certainly have made the job a lot easier, but i pulled it off none the less with the D2. I sh!t you now when i tell you that while this was taking place, my hair color took on a tonal change and grew a few mil. Laughing
A program thats got the goods thats for sure, but not a program for the impatient. Rolling Eyes
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Whites Spectra V3i - Page 3 Empty Mxt coil

Post  Guest Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:46 am

Sorry for railroading your class narrawa,but pinpointa could you give us the heads up on the 6x4 coil ,for the goldfields.I'm running a 10" elip dd on the mxt and live on the gold fields and the grand boy wants to have a go at detecting and he not getting the 5000.thought it might be all right in creeks and between saplings where I've been getting a bit with a sadie on the 5000.till the wind gets up and the emi go's ape doo doo's again sorry dr narrawa for stuffing up your class .

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:32 pm

cougarcans, Alls good mate, ya not railroading at all, so feel free to join in. I used the MXT on the goldfield the other day with the 10x6 eclipse and it handled the hot iron stone with ease.
Just remember, the small coils offer more sensitivity and produce a very strong field. While they ping the smallest bits of gold, they are just as sensitive to the hot rocks and ironstone. The 10x6" elip was able to work nicely with little tendency to overload the unit on the same ground that sent my V3i into overload. I reckon if i got the GMT out, it would have overloaded due to the much higher frequency it uses over this same ground. The MXT should have been looked at when i was researching the GMT. Rolling Eyes
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  pinpointa Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:35 pm

Hi Cougarcans,

Great to see you are using another Whites product The MXT is a great detector as all whites products are. Using the 10 inch elleptical and the 6x4 shooter will work fine on the triangle but in certain ground such as Queens Gully Wedderburn you would be pushing it.

Its just a matter of setting the detector up to cope with the matrix of the ground and once you have this if their is no ground there and have maximum depth you are cooking with gas. I just love the 6x4 coil for its lightnest its manouverability and its pinpointing. If you use the tip of the coil or back up to the target with the heal of the coil its just a dream to use.

One thing to get use to pinpointing with any size coil is to place a target under a large sheet of cardboard and try pinpointing it pushing your probe through and if you hit it dead on you have mastered it.

But on the goldfields you dont have to be two accurate at hitting your target.

Regards Pinpointa.  Very Happy Smile 
pinpointa
pinpointa
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:10 pm

pinpointa wrote:Hi Guys ,

I am allways sceptical of some of these guys with their depths with coils. I have used many many brands of detectors since i started detecting and selling detectors in Melbourne in 1977. The old deepseeker garrett had excellent depth and its what Kevin Heiller found the the hand of faith with.

Minelab have had some great detectors through the years and i have tried each model as the changes have taken place. The e-trac is a great detector but on fine gold chains and thin gold rings not a chance. Their is things that the e-trac and the ctx can do that the v3i cant do and vice versa its horses for courses.

I was interested to see how these designer coils would go on the v3i. So i have a freind who did work for minelab a few years ago who has got the v3i and he had aquired a 10 x 12 white detech coil for his whites v3i. So i give him my settings in mixed mode which is a trickey mode to use but a lot of guys just cannot get a grip on setting it up and i would not explain as you would just get so confused.

But after giving him the settings which was identical to mine With the 10 x 12 coil with a $2 coin inside a 25mm pvc filled with sand which was taken out of the hole with another pvc tube so the soil around the coin is identical with moisture as you go deeper.

By doing this its if the coin was burried their but without the halo effect Which would have a little more depth than just being burried. Any way the extra depth over the Whites d2 coil against the 10 x 12 white v rated detech was wait for it 25mm extra.
The Detech 10x12 coil hits a bit better on coins on edge with more ground coverage and thats it.

The problem with larger coils the bigger you go the more sensitivity is lost and they are not suitable to very contaminated sites.

Then i thought i will get him to do a test on the 13 detech ultimate coil and that had no extra depth over the standard 10 d2  coil but was a little better on coins on edge.

If I was using the v3i in an area where their is pre decimal coins i would be using a pumped up program in deep silver.

Hope this is a help Regards Pinpointa.

Interesting Pinpointer
What type of coins were you using in testing?

I don't care about finding modern coins I really only want to find old silver or gold coins, some sites I search that have allot of shallow modern coins and then the good old coins are deep usually around the 200mm/300mm range so I use the depth gauge and Id no's and I don't bother digging any of the shallow modern coins and only dig the deep old targets particularly in an area that's been topped.

As such all of my testing is done with gold sovereigns and old silver coins and various gold nuggets.
And I've found it very advantageous to use larger coils particularly on silver but on gold they have no advantage and in many circumstances they actually have a disadvantage.
On gold I like the smaller elliptical coils.
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:30 pm

Narrawa wrote:Mr Pro.. Very Happy 

Time will tell how it stacks up against the 30/30 on our soil. FBS hammers on silver, which is what i found when i had them some years ago.
Still, the write ups on them today show things have changed for the better. However i could not bring myself to get an E-trac or 30/30 after having the earlier versions, i had to have something different this time round. After researching a few different sorts, i focused on the manufacturer and their service. That research was met with a sigh of relief after reading the many satisfied reports. Speaking with the ozy dealer also gave relief when asking about warranty and service.

I hope you find the V3i to be a better machine for the style of detecting you do, or its going to be another time waste in which we all face from time to time. Much the same way as the GMT fell short of my expectations when putting it down in WA soil. The write ups said it was the best for the type of hunting i was to carry out. Tho a top little machine, it did not perform for me in the end. In its defense, it indicated hot rocks at a very consistent reading, but it missed gold masked by these rocks. Having no Disc feature other than the iron ID, which at the time of my thinking was the better prospect than human error with over doing the disc feature on detectors having variable adjusters.

Good morning Mr Narrawa  Q34 

I have high hopes for it in the tailing's over size piles for gold nuggets I've done well in in the past with the etrac and CTX in them but I think it just might have the edge because you can use the individual frequency
and other setting to fine tune it for this purpose.
The ctx is the best detector I have used for this so far as its iron discrimination and target separation are great and it made me good money doing this.

I also like to search the old diggers camps for old dropped or stashed coins and nuggets the CTX also performs well at this to because there is usually a high Iron trash density in these areas but it can be a bit touchy to setup correctly in both of these uses because of the gold field's mineralized ground but I usually get it  cat  purrring nicely.
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  pinpointa Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:31 pm

Im sorry Mr. Aurumpro,

But their is no way you can tell if those targets that are above your depth of 200 to 300 are better targets and are just modern coins come on i have been doing this hobby to many years now. Their are  so many targets that can be  in the same range as modern coins and if you dont dig them up you would not have a clue what they could be. I would love to come back over that ground and dig up all the goodies that you have left behind.

Regards Pinpointa. bounce rabbit pale affraid
pinpointa
pinpointa
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Whites Spectra V3i - Page 3 Empty Re whites

Post  Guest Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:45 pm

Thanks narrawa and pinpointa ,there's a lot on here bout minelab s but not much about whites.i got 3 targets in the back yard in the 60s down about 6 inches in diff parts of the yard and what did I did?? 3 rolled up toothpaste tubes ,dam old but worth ummm nuffin.a old half penny 1880 s and a penny ..good fun walking round can in hand don't have to drive anywhere,on half acre so still a bit of playing yet..cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:29 am

pinpointa wrote:Im sorry Mr. Aurumpro,

But their is no way you can tell if those targets that are above your depth of 200 to 300 are better targets and are just modern coins come on i have been doing this hobby to many years now. Their are  so many targets that can be  in the same range as modern coins and if you dont dig them up you would not have a clue what they could be. I would love to come back over that ground and dig up all the goodies that you have left behind.

Regards Pinpointa. bounce rabbit pale affraid

Mate like I said the ares been topped with about 150mm of top soil and turf so I know there is defiantly no old stuff in the topping.
And since I'm not interested in any modern stuff I use the mind discriminator.
I know as I dug every good looking target until I figured out it had been topped
If the areas not topped I dig em all.
This approach has served me well I've searched this area with other operators and they end up with a hand full of modern coins ally swarf and junk jewelry I end up with a hand full of silver and the odd old bit of old jewelry by using my brain and eliminating the the unwanted modern stuff.

My nemesis is the blo*dy penny I've got a full bucket of the worthless blo*dy things not one frign 1930 p or 1923 h.p. among em  Mad 
Nothing you can do about them ether as they are in the same drop zone and ya never know it could turn out to be a valuable one so ya just gota dig em.
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:40 pm

Managed to get out this arvo for a quick swing with the V3i. Got permission to detect an old house site and she comes up a winner with the two lovely bits of silver.
This place is littered with crap, using my near completed pattern, these two had no chance of hiding in among the years of metal abuse in the ground......im chuffed with this pattern when comparing it to some of the pre-sets.
About 5-6" deep.
The toy car dates back to the 40s, and is very heavy for its size.

Whites Spectra V3i - Page 3 P1370786_zps9e0a3bcf

Whites Spectra V3i - Page 3 P1370785_zpsfc93a8dd
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:10 pm