Easter Monday Mine

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Re: Easter Monday Mine

Post  Jerryx4 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:49 am

I can already see the headlines.
MINE COLLAPSES ON FORUM ADVENTURE GROUP
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 256
Age : 34
Registration date : 2012-12-28

Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Re: Easter Monday Mine

Post  Guest on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:43 am

gold finding wrote:
Show Me The Gold wrote:yo goldfinding what do you use when you go down mate ur the most exoerienced on here who do you stay safe
yo m8 lol arm humm unexperienced hey well maybie on detecting BUT NOT in the mines ive got 6 years experience in the mines and mineing i know what i am doing and how to do it correctly allso got 4 years on rock climbing aswell so i can go down the shafts
Gold finding I hope you are using some good equipment and procedures because if you don't and something happens the powers that be will be more likely to shut it down. Frankly I'm surprised it's not already illegal. Just remember what you do has an effect on others. You could look at it like this- if more people did the wrong thing and got themselves hurt and needed a lot of resources to get them out then it would be illegal to do it and you couldn't enjoy what you are doing now. So please let people know when and where you are going, use best practice safety gear and procedures and never go alone. Perhaps think about extreme sport insurance as well. Stay safe out there and try not to give the fun police a reason to lock things down more. People should have the right to do as they please but need to be responsible for what they do otherwise it all goes downhill. By the time you are my age you will be sick and tired of all the rules and regs out there that they put out to try and ***** proof every activity. I'm not being critical of you as I don't know you and what you do and will also admit that I need to be more responsible at times as I often go out to detect at night on my own in areas with no reception and no one knows I'm there. whilst I only go to areas I am familiar with and without shafts I still need to change how I go about it. Cheers

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty New Sultan Mine - Barrys Reef

Post  Ian Parker on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:42 am

I go up that way quite a lot. There is a small white marker outside the New Sultan mine at Barry's Reef. It's at the entrance road on the east/right hand side as you head towards Trentham. You can drive in and have a look but the main shaft is locked up. This mine went to 900ft and produced on todays value $78 Million Dollars worth of gold. Be careful though. I did this years ago near the A1 mine near Jamison/Eildon. I walked in a large adit that went into the mountain with a dolphin torch. About 100ft in I stopped as I had a strange feeling. Upon shining the torch around I found out that I had just walked past a shaft that went straight down about 50ft to freezing cold water. Deeper inside the adit came to a T intersection and I went left and found what the old timers called talking trees. They are tree trunks cut to length and jammed into the rock with a board at each end. The idea being that any movement causes the trunk to twist on the planks and gives off an Eeeeeee...screeching sound, saying time to get out. I went back to the T intersection and went right. I only went about 50ft in that direction before a came to a boring dead end. But I was totally surprised when I moved my torch up the dead end wall to find the shaft went straight up about 200ft.
Ian Parker
Ian Parker
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-08-22

Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Free DPI Map

Post  Ian Parker on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:02 pm

For anyone who is interested there is a fairly good FREE DPI map available for download on this area. As I am new here I cant post the link but I am sure with a few clicks of buttons you can find it. It is titled 29540_trentham_50_geol_ed1.pdf
Ian Parker
Ian Parker
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-08-22

Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Re: Easter Monday Mine

Post  thelion on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:54 pm

Thanks for those South Argus seems to be it but as a Kid I always thought it was a little further down the hill but most definitely in that little area! tunnel went under the road though! Must remember that it was over 40 years ago for me! I can remember that we had water running from the sluice across the intersection of Patterson and Jubilee lake rd remember it was the sixties and we used to store the Sluice box at the house across the road.

thelion
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2013-02-25

Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Re: Easter Monday Mine

Post  Guest on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:25 pm

can you still goinside that tunnel or is it flooded or filled in ???

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Re: Easter Monday Mine

Post  Guest on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:32 pm

Waveform wrote:
gold finding wrote:
Show Me The Gold wrote:yo goldfinding what do you use when you go down mate ur the most exoerienced on here who do you stay safe
yo m8 lol arm humm unexperienced hey well maybie on detecting BUT NOT in the mines ive got 6 years experience in the mines and mineing i know what i am doing and how to do it correctly allso got 4 years on rock climbing aswell so i can go down the shafts
Gold finding I hope you are using some good equipment and procedures because if you don't and something happens the powers that be will be more likely to shut it down. Frankly I'm surprised it's not already illegal. Just remember what you do has an effect on others. You could look at it like this- if more people did the wrong thing and got themselves hurt and needed a lot of resources to get them out then it would be illegal to do it and you couldn't enjoy what you are doing now. So please let people know when and where you are going, use best practice safety gear and procedures and never go alone. Perhaps think about extreme sport insurance as well. Stay safe out there and try not to give the fun police a reason to lock things down more. People should have the right to do as they please but need to be responsible for what they do otherwise it all goes downhill. By the time you are my age you will be sick and tired of all the rules and regs out there that they put out to try and ***** proof every activity. I'm not being critical of you as I don't know you and what you do  and will also admit that I need to be more responsible at times as I often go out to detect at night on my own in areas with no reception and no one knows I'm there. whilst I only go to areas I am familiar with and without shafts I still need to change how I go about it. Cheers
how is going down mines affecting people unless i don't tell anyone about where i am going like family i don't see how its harm full to anyone elce aslong as you know what you are doing and go in safe mines well i surpose i could get in the sh>t by finding an old boddy that has been down there but then i propley would of soved a 30yold case

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Re: Easter Monday Mine

Post  Guest on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Ian Parker wrote:I go up that way quite a lot. There is a small white marker outside the New Sultan mine at Barry's Reef. It's at the entrance road on the east/right hand side as you head towards Trentham. You can drive in and have a look but the main shaft is locked up. This mine went to 900ft and produced on todays value $78 Million Dollars worth of gold. Be careful though. I did this years ago near the A1 mine near Jamison/Eildon. I walked in a large adit that went into the mountain with a dolphin torch. About 100ft in I stopped as I had a strange feeling. Upon shining the torch around I found out that I had just walked past a shaft that went straight down about 50ft to freezing cold water. Deeper inside the adit came to a T intersection and I went left and found what the old timers called talking trees. They are tree trunks cut to length and jammed into the rock with a board at each end. The idea being that any movement causes the trunk to twist on the planks and gives off an Eeeeeee...screeching sound, saying time to get out. I went back to the T intersection and went right. I only went about 50ft in that direction before a came to a boring dead end. But I was totally surprised when I moved my torch up the dead end wall to find the shaft went straight up about 200ft.
wow on my mine to check out what a amazeing story but scarey one affraid 

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Re: Easter Monday Mine

Post  countdown on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:36 pm

You could keep it a secret too goldfinding ... and take the skull home for an ashtray Very Happy

I think what the other guy was saying is if something happened to you down a mine it would cost the tax payer a lots of money and time and resources to haul your carcass back out of the hole .

To be equipped for old mine exploration a gas meter is a necessity , there are no second chances with hydrogen sulphide one lungfull of that and its over

countdown
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2013-07-16

Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Re: Easter Monday Mine

Post  Guest on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:42 pm

Guys don't come in here bemoaning the fact that the dept has put a concrete plug in these mines you have named and in fact so well identified! lol! 

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Re: Easter Monday Mine

Post  countdown on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:45 pm

Ark wrote:Guys don't come in here bemoaning the fact that the dept has put a concrete plug in these mines you have named and in fact so well identified! lol! 
So the ventilation is no good I take it ?

countdown
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2013-07-16

Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Re: Easter Monday Mine

Post  Guest on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:54 pm

countdown wrote:You could keep it a secret too goldfinding ... and take the skull home for an ashtray Very Happy

I think what the other guy was saying is if something happened to you down a mine it would cost the tax payer a lots of money and time and resources to haul your carcass back out of the hole .

To be equipped for old mine exploration a gas meter is a necessity , there are no second chances with hydrogen sulphide one lungfull of that and its over
yeah ok but i do take lots of care when doing what i do and i don't mess around my golden rule is i NEVER hit the roof of any tunnel even if its got $5000 worth of gold that i can see but however i may get a long crowbar and wack some out a safe distance away Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Re: Easter Monday Mine

Post  Guest on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:58 pm

Jerryx4 wrote:I can already see the headlines.
MINE COLLAPSES ON FORUM ADVENTURE GROUP
lol i hope not lol! 

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty It's all good fun

Post  Ian Parker on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:08 pm

gold finding wrote:
Ian Parker wrote:I go up that way quite a lot. There is a small white marker outside the New Sultan mine at Barry's Reef. It's at the entrance road on the east/right hand side as you head towards Trentham. You can drive in and have a look but the main shaft is locked up. This mine went to 900ft and produced on todays value $78 Million Dollars worth of gold. Be careful though. I did this years ago near the A1 mine near Jamison/Eildon. I walked in a large adit that went into the mountain with a dolphin torch. About 100ft in I stopped as I had a strange feeling. Upon shining the torch around I found out that I had just walked past a shaft that went straight down about 50ft to freezing cold water. Deeper inside the adit came to a T intersection and I went left and found what the old timers called talking trees. They are tree trunks cut to length and jammed into the rock with a board at each end. The idea being that any movement causes the trunk to twist on the planks and gives off an Eeeeeee...screeching sound, saying time to get out. I went back to the T intersection and went right. I only went about 50ft in that direction before a came to a boring dead end. But I was totally surprised when I moved my torch up the dead end wall to find the shaft went straight up about 200ft.
wow on my mine to check out what a amazeing story but scarey one affraid 
That was 20+years ago But the mine would still be there. As I can remember- You go south from Jamieson to Kevinton STOP! Drink beer then go to Ten Mile. There wasn't anything at Ten Mile then apart from one house on the right/high/Mt Terrible side. Looking at the map I think it would be Sailor Bills Creek. The mine is on the Left hand side of the creek less than 1 klm up the hill. Just watch out for that shaft on the way in.
Ian Parker
Ian Parker
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-08-22

Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty old timers trick

Post  Ian Parker on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:25 pm

countdown wrote:You could keep it a secret too goldfinding ... and take the skull home for an ashtray Very Happy

I think what the other guy was saying is if something happened to you down a mine it would cost the tax payer a lots of money and time and resources to haul your carcass back out of the hole .

To be equipped for old mine exploration a gas meter is a necessity , there are no second chances with hydrogen sulphide one lungfull of that and its over
Where Jerry is talking about (Blackwood) there are lots of shafts and adits everywhere. Care should be taken if you go bush as a lot of the alluvial shafts are only covered with a piece of old corrugated iron which is covered by leaves and stuff. An old trick to rid bad air from small shafts say to 100ft is to cut a tree branch and tie it to a rope. Then use it as a piston up and down the shaft to rid any bad air build up. I go underground up there a lot. The hard rock mines are fairly safe. But watch out if you go picking around in alluvial soil as that's when cave ins occur as happened to a well known prospector from Trentham some years ago.
Ian Parker
Ian Parker
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-08-22

Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Re: Easter Monday Mine

Post  Detrackozi on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:32 pm

Back to Jerry Mine:lol: 

Posted like this makes them hard to read so if you would me to upload them to 4share so that you can see them better then tell me

It will not be a pretty sight with you and 50 others head to tail in these mine's this weekend
Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Mineman_zps9575e10d

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 2211A2_zpsbc5598c4

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 2211A1_zpsd89f0084

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 2211C1_zps0a777a24
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1097
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Re: Easter Monday Mine

Post  Detrackozi on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:29 pm

Jerry

Can I point one out to you, looks like it just might be what your looking for:santa: 

Victoria United Adit

A long adit was brought in from a creek in the east and much gold was obtained from a series of five reefs which intersect the property.
The Victoria Company worked to 420-feet or 240-feet below adit level. The ground here is stoped to the surface.
The shoot of gold was 100 feet long and gave a return of 15 dwts of gold to the ton. The Gully line:affraid: 

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Vic1_zpsea5d0052

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Vic2_zps7d66e8ac

There has been a bulk of good soil sampling been done in the area so just might be worth a good look or a few of your own loaming sample done
Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Vic3_zpsb122c696

You can see the Adit and "w" &"H" Adit here

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 2193A2_zps4ae4185c


Last edited by Detrackozi on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1097
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Re: Easter Monday Mine

Post  Guest on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:46 pm

Detrackozi wrote:Back to Jerry Mine:lol: 

Posted like this makes them hard to read so if you would me to upload them to 4share so that you can see them better then tell me

It will not be a pretty sight with you and 50 others head to tail in these mine's this weekend
Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Mineman_zps9575e10d

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 2211A2_zpsbc5598c4

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 2211A1_zpsd89f0084

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 2211C1_zps0a777a24
May I ask if these style maps are available online or is it a program you have ,please ? I love my maps ,but have not been able to obtain diagrams of mine layouts with shafts,adits,levels & all the other info you have here.
Is there a good online website or program available that shows the info for mines including where the tunnels & shafts are & any relevant info that goes with it ?

The websites I use for my maps are basic & probably old school to the veterans on this website ,so I thought it was worth asking where to get better maps.

Thanx for any help. Detrackozi or anyone else who may have any ideas.


HH

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Re: Easter Monday Mine

Post  Detrackozi on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:54 pm

You can download Shaft & Adit map from the DPI site for Free

http://dpistore.efirst.com.au/categories.asp?cID=4
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1097
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty information Victoria

Post  Ian Parker on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:01 pm

I researched this area about 20 years ago and found a heap of useful and extremely interesting information on it. Back then it was all held on microfiche and I'm not sure if it has ever been transferred. It went into huge detail, not so much about the shafts and adit plans but how much was coming out and extremely detailed parish plans and who was finding gold and where. I used to spend hours in there reading up on what happened during the gold rush. It was like reading a history book and then you could drive right out there and see the spots! You would have to go and see them at the Information Victoria office to see how you can still view the information.

Also a word of caution about these shafts. Blackwood does not have a sewerage system. They use the old septic system. So you may find yourself walking though No.1's and No.2 shafts. Not that its a big deal just DON'T DRINK THE WATER! As I found out last week. And for those of you who smoke, No.2 shafts gives off methane which can concentrate and ignite, so no naked flames. The Yankee gully area is good, but there is a lease in the area so check with DPI or phone the mine manager on 0427 009 716. before going in there or you may find a piece of lead in your head rather than gold. Also watch out as the entrances to these mines are sometimes made up of loose conglomerate near the entrance and can and do cave in.
Would like to meet some of you up here sometime. I don't use a detector now but have in the past, and know of some cool spots that I think todays detectors would blitz.
Ian Parker
Ian Parker
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-08-22

Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Re: Easter Monday Mine

Post  Guest on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:19 pm

Thanks for that , Detrackozi. I will go through that website & see what I can find. Thankyou.


Gidday ,Ian. Never thought to look for microfiche. That could be another avenue for info. Cheers.


HH

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Re: Easter Monday Mine

Post  Detrackozi on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:35 pm

Ian

While you were researching them I was the one how was scanning the microfiche and now have them all.

They were all released onto the very first 14 set CD GIS DATABASE sets but not on any of the later one's back 14 years


Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1097
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty COOL AS BROTHER!

Post  Ian Parker on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:03 pm

Detrackozi wrote:Ian

While you were researching them I was the one how was scanning the microfiche and now have them all.

They were all released onto the very first 14 set CD GIS DATABASE sets  but not on any of the later one's back 14 years


Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

That's Great news

There was so much information in there. Blackwood had such a fantastic story behind it. Even now when I drive up the highway and get to Bacchus Marsh I look up into that GAP in the Lerdergerg Gorge near the lettuce farms and think? How did those miners pack two suitcases of gear and travel 6-8 months by boat across the world to be dropped off in Melbourne and then WALK out here and up THAT Gorge searching for gold? How did they do it? I think of myself as being very?? well ? bush wise? but I must be a big modern day softie and, hey, I'm trying to do it full time and I can tell you mate that after 4 days of mining out bush... I need a nice warm bath. They must have done it Bloody tough.
Ian Parker
Ian Parker
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-08-22

Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Easter monday mine

Post  papoutsi on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi Jerry great post . Do you ever detect in there looks interesting ? might be worth a look . Pap

papoutsi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 620
Age : 53
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

Easter Monday Mine - Page 2 Empty Re: Easter Monday Mine

Post  Jerryx4 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:33 am

I always wonder how in hell they got up there in the old days, even now the terrain is so bloody overgrown & rugged just for bush walking. No I haven't prospected there. Alot/most of the area is out of bounds as national park or restricted state forest & is patrolled regularly. Quite a few pegged claims on the other side of the road but never appears to have had any activity going on.
Jerryx4
Jerryx4
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 256
Age : 34
Registration date : 2012-12-28

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum