Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beach Detecting

+2
deutran
Kon61gold
6 posters

Go down

Beach Detecting Empty Beach Detecting

Post  Kon61gold Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:43 pm

A week ago I went to Portland and naturally included the 4500. Beach detecting, well Portland's beach should be okay not too many detectors around there.

First morning - set the custom setting on Beach and away I went in shorts, thongs and T shirt. Two noises later - a ring - seemed to be a Friendship ring. An hour later 5 cents and a dozen bloody bottletops, nothing else of value. Had to have a shower to dig the sand out of my knees

Second morning - well I hope I dont find any more bottletops- well didnt find many cos it was mainly bobby pins from ladies hair, it was twice as many - damn not another one and this was after two hours. and two 20 cents and one 10 cents - whow! I wore jeans this time and no problem with the sand

Bobby pins and bottle tops - get me back to the bush quick!!!!! What was that! - gun balls, bullet shells, old nails - didn't hear you. Oh there is that odd piece of gold as well. Beach Detecting Icon_biggrin

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Beach Detecting Empty Re: Beach Detecting

Post  Guest Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:18 pm

i havent gone beach detecting for about 10 years (i just don`t get the thrill at finding $2.00, that i get when i find a piece of gold worth 50¢),but i allways found that you did better if you detected a beach that heaps of people went to and there was a shop near by (all those people going to the shop to buy an ice cream,and then loosing their money on their way back to their spot on the beach).
the best i ever did on a beach was finding $23.00 and a ring in about 1½ hours.
like you, i would really rather be out in the bush digging up bullets and bits of wire,with the hope of finding a bit of gold worth 50¢.

Last edited by day one on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:31 pm

My best bit of coin detecting returned me 2000 dollars in one and two dollar coins found during 70 hours of detecting spread over a one week period using an old Whites 6000 DI Series 3. So, just like gold detecting, find the right location and coin detecting can be quite interesting.

Last edited by Adrian SS on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:09 am

Jefgold,as with the goldfields knowledge is everything.An experienced friend told me the other day "If it wasnt for the beach I wouldnt own a detector".He has 25-30 years experience at both.
Did you ever come across an article in G&T mag about wally the wizard with an amazing collection of gold ring I think it was in melbourne.Well this is not uncommon for good beach operators.
Conditions on beaches are constantly changing and its not unusual to get good and bad days,the 4500 is more than you need to get good results.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinegold Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:44 am

Only a dozen botletops?! The 4500 must have a bottle top discriminator Beach Detecting Fresse Either that or it's not working properly.
Shinegold
Shinegold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:36 am

The beach is one of only a few treasure troves that get's re-plenished each year Beach Detecting Icon_lol

Wombat

Back to top Go down

Beach Detecting Empty Beach 4500

Post  Guest Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:42 am

Jeez,
You blokes have got more money than sense, Using a 4500 for beach work is a bit like driving a couple of klicks up to the corner shop in a Roles Royce to get the veges.

Just about any beach dedicated PI will go just as good or better than the 4500 on saltwater beaches and they will only cost a tiny fraction of a 4500. Even a SOV XS will likely outperform the 4500 at the beach.
HE.He,He.

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:35 pm

Adrian SS wrote:Jeez,
You blokes have got more money than sense, Using a 4500 for beach work is a bit like driving a couple of klicks up to the corner shop in a Roles Royce to get the veges.

Just about any beach dedicated PI will go just as good or better than the 4500 on saltwater beaches and they will only cost a tiny fraction of a 4500. Even a SOV XS will likely outperform the 4500 at the beach.
HE.He,He.

That is true but if the only vehicle you own is a rolls royce then you would use it!!! Beach Detecting Icon_biggrin
How did you go with the fishing Jeff??
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:14 pm

I am curious, does the Discrimination Mode on the 3000-4500 GP(X)'s also work with Anti-Interference(Salt) coils, or only with DD coils ? Thanks.

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrubhen Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:19 pm

Gees a 4500 on the beach ??? I once, just for the hell of it took my 3500 onto the beach, but after digging a few holes half way to china for hair pins and bobby pins I smartly gave it away and vowed even if the Sovereign broke down again, I would stay home and read a book.

Horses for courses, the GP discrimination on the beach is useless

Ron
Scrubhen
Scrubhen
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:47 pm

HI Goldstalker

The fishing was lousey as well but at least a weeks break away from everything was good.

However if you go away with the grandkids its a different world. Thank goodness we can give them back.

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down