Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anybody found big gold at depth with a 4500?

+5
Qld Sandy
rc62burke
polak
kevlorraine2
goldenbrown
9 posters

Go down

Has anybody found big gold at depth with a 4500? Empty Has anybody found big gold at depth with a 4500?

Post  goldenbrown Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi all, this is my first post,
I have a GPX 4500 and was wondering if anybody is having success with 'big' gold at depth with the 4500. I've been doing alot of research where I've seen and read of plenty small to mid sized nuggets being found, but nothing over 10grams.
I know it depends on coils and settings but the overall results to me, don't show some of the bigger stuff out there.
If you have a 4500, what was your best result, at what depth?
Cheers (newby) goldenbrown.....
goldenbrown
goldenbrown
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-12-26

Back to top Go down

Has anybody found big gold at depth with a 4500? Empty Re: Has anybody found big gold at depth with a 4500?

Post  Guest Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:59 pm

G'day, well I carn't speak for everyone but we certainly have got some nice big chunky bit with the 4500. Biggest one is 2.25 oz, a couple of 1.5 oz, some in the 20 to 30 gram range, and about 4 half ounce pieces. And heaps of small stuff as well. We are quite happy with the 4500, and the depth that the bigger ones were at was around 20" (500mm).

A few pics, biggest is 2.25oz, a 23gram, and a 16 gram and 3 little sub grammers
Has anybody found big gold at depth with a 4500? Maya08

Biggest one is 33 grams and a 13.5 grammer and the rest vary from 8 and 9 grams down to smaller ones
Has anybody found big gold at depth with a 4500? April09

These are the most recent ones from a trip in November 2009
Has anybody found big gold at depth with a 4500? QLDTrip11-2009a

Back to top Go down

Has anybody found big gold at depth with a 4500? Empty Re: Has anybody found big gold at depth with a 4500?

Post  goldenbrown Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:30 pm

Wow! nice pics, Has anybody found big gold at depth with a 4500? Icon_eek
That's just what I was hoping to see. Thanks for the quick reply. I guess being a newby you can only really go on other peoples experiences to give yourself a bit of peace of mind. The rest is alot of research and hard work .
Cheers, goldenbrown...

Last edited by goldenbrown on Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
goldenbrown
goldenbrown
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Has anybody found big gold at depth with a 4500? Empty big nuggets at depth

Post  kevlorraine2 Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:33 pm

hi goldenbrown, click on my "profile" after clicking on my username and check out my submitted posts
at the bottom of which you will find my skiting about this years finds ... kev
(dont want to bore the whole crowd again -- or maybe i am just too lazy to type it all again)

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbrown Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:41 pm

Great, thanks Kev,
I wouldn't want to type all that up either but it's usual info and it's just what iwas looking for.
Thanks for being so helpfull.
Cheers, goldenbrown...
goldenbrown
goldenbrown
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  polak Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:14 pm

Very nice looking gold Davsgold, Has anybody found big gold at depth with a 4500? Icon_eek
can I ask what coil you prefer to run when looking for the bigger stuff with the 4500?

Thanks Polak

polak
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:38 pm

polak wrote:Very nice looking gold Davsgold, Has anybody found big gold at depth with a 4500? Icon_eek
can I ask what coil you prefer to run when looking for the bigger stuff with the 4500?

Thanks Polak

G'day Polak

When looking for the bigger deep ones I use the 16" round Nuggetfinder Advantage mono, it seems to work quite well.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:52 pm

The fact is big nuggets at depth were found every month or so here in Vic.Big DDs coupled with SDs did the damage.This era ended 6 to 8 years ago with gp series machines and mono world taking over.
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbrown Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:37 pm

Hi Dig,
You must have been on that gravy train 6 to 8 years ago, I'm guessing lol...but c'mon there must still be a couple of those large ones still lurking, waiting for some lucky coil to go BINGO! I guess that's what drives alot of us prospectors."The lottory syndrome". The odd good news story about somebody who got lucky on there first outing. I think it's alot harder these days for sure, even with the latest detectors. I guess it all comes down to good old fashion hard work and research.
Cheers, goldenbrown.
goldenbrown
goldenbrown
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Has anybody found big gold at depth with a 4500? Empty Big Gold at depth

Post  rc62burke Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:35 pm

Hi all
Nugget number 3 for me was a 6 ozer @ 26" SD2200d 16" NF mono, in NQ
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbrown Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:34 pm

Hi Lee,
Congrats mate,
I'm sure that wasn't just pure luck. What a feeling that would have been. Keep up the good work and good luck on your next outing.
Cheers goldenbrown,
goldenbrown
goldenbrown
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:45 pm

goldenbrown wrote:Hi all, this is my first post,
I have a GPX 4500 and was wondering if anybody is having success with 'big' gold at depth with the 4500. I've been doing alot of research where I've seen and read of plenty small to mid sized nuggets being found, but nothing over 10grams.
I know it depends on coils and settings but the overall results to me, don't show some of the bigger stuff out there.
If you have a 4500, what was your best result, at what depth?
Cheers (newby) goldenbrown.....

Around 9 months or so ago I dug a 41 gram piece from a measured 24" using Enhance timings on my GPX4500. Dopey on his forum reckoned it fell out of the side of the hole but he wasn't there and I DO know how to dig a hole. Enhance timings seem to always be of some amazement to me, as just when you think you have it all sorted, along comes a piece that negates all of the previous finds.

Depending on the ground minerisation, normal timings usually give the best results, but there are times that Enhance or Smooth timings will win hands down. It is up to the operator to decide whcih timing suits what ground, and if he is not sure then a savy operator will do the ground in a combination of timings/coils.

The above is no where near my biggest piece, but it is probably my most memorable for the size/depth/settings I had at the time. Cheers.
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbrown Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:25 pm

Hi QLD Sandy,
The 4500 definately has the edge with "enhance" and mono's. The soil in the golden triangle is extreme and this feature produced my first nuggets over the weekend, whoo hoo, in an area where there were about 10 or 11 detector diggings. The area was littered with iron stone, hot rocks and the usual junk.
It's good to hear that with the right conditions/coil/settings, you can really punch a whole in enhance.
Cheers mate, goldenbrown...
goldenbrown
goldenbrown
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Has anybody found big gold at depth with a 4500? Empty 8 grammer Specimen at 15"

Post  Billsymo Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:50 pm

Last year i detected an 8 gm specimen in WA at 15" in bloody hard ground. I was unhappy that it was only 8 grams , but 8 grams at that depth is a good indication that it will do better, remember, the gold has to be there for you to find it.
It could have been worse it might have been a coke can at 3 feet.
Billsymo
Billsymo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:56 pm

I am not surprised to hear these depths, not big and not gold but here is a good example......

Today in med-high mineralization I dug a small brass button from 400-450mm (16-18") the signal was barely a signal but hey I dug it and to my surprise that is what came out, so for a small button at that depth, God help those big nuggies hiding deep.

11" commander mono - gpx 4500 - enhance

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  goldfinder Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:49 pm

Even though the original question was asked back in January here is my two cents worth.

goldfinder
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Back to top Go down

Has anybody found big gold at depth with a 4500? Empty Re has anyone found big gold at depth with the 4500

Post  Guest Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:30 am

That`s a great dig for a well deserved reward Smile Great to see the other side of the coin,when after a deep dig,it comes up gold Very Happy but if you want the deep gold you have to dig the deep rubbish..I keep telling myself that.

Enjoyed the video,thanks Goldfinder.

Cheers Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  goldfinder Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:58 am

Glad to hear you enjoyed the vid. Eureka Dreams. Since digging the speci I have lost count on how many times I have watched the video. My only regret was that the video recording wasn't started as soon as I thought that the signal may be gold. With the external speaker it would have been of interest to most people as it was a distinct pinpoint but faint sound. It was at the base of a quartz run in the deeper topsoil/wash area. The top foot was probably soil before hitting the rubble. One of my favourite areas to detect and I have had some luck with other larger nuggets in this type of ground. The only problem is that the gold is alway deep but I do get a great deal of satisfaction from finding gold after having to dig deep. Just for info the machine was a GPX4500(enhance mode) with a Nuggetfinder 16in mono . A killer combo on all but the smallest gold. I also find more gold in the early hours of the day due to decreased interference and quieter threshold. Very Happy

goldfinder
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Back to top Go down

Has anybody found big gold at depth with a 4500? Empty Re: Has anybody found etc........

Post  sandy2010 Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:33 pm

Excellent find and video.....well done.....the video will keep us all from having withdrawal symptoms until we get back out there.
I must admit you had me biting my lip the way you were digging the nugget out.....I thought once or twice that were going to put the "prospectors hallmark" on it.
However, all's well that ends well.
Be lucky.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Has anybody found big gold at depth with a 4500? Empty Re has anybody found big deep nuggets with the 4500

Post  Guest Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:06 pm

Thanks for the added information Goldfinder,i have had my 4500 for near 4 months now (after a short time with a 3500) and have found only a 2 gram and 0.1 nugget..I am getting better at understanding the potential of the 4500,it does give you so many choice modes, it is a fine tool...I was out in Nerrina in Victoria yesterday with a 10 inch Nugget Finder mono on,and hunting for some smaller bits (anything Smile ) It was early afternoon and the EMI was causing to many erratic signals..

A mate was using a 4000 and it was the same for him,but he asked what was the motion setting.Iwas i in (medium) he suggested i change it to slow,and i got out of deep on the front end cap,and into general mode...Normal (audio) on the back end..Fixed tracking and enhance,and it quietend down nicely..The mate is deadly on the small bits with a 8 inch Commander on,and i am beginning to listen for those `whispers` and locate very small targets..it takes time to learn that ` the sense of a target`I now feel that i just have to locate some more gold (walk over it) hear this in practice to boost my confidence..

It gets somewhat confusing with settings,as some say front panel / search mode in deep,and with deep audio / on back or general / front and normal audio / on back..It depends on the many soil conditions and locations...much to learn...

Cheers Bill

Last edited by Eureka Dreams on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:56 pm

Eureka Dreams wrote: with a 8 inch Commander on,and i am beginning to listen for those `whispers` and locate very small targets..it takes time to learn that
Cheers Bill

Thats it Bill your headed for success... cheers cheers

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum