Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

14" mono vs 11" DD

Go down

14" mono vs 11" DD Empty 14" mono vs 11" DD

Post  gollstar 23/7/2009, 11:49 pm

Cool

Last edited by gollstar on 28/1/2011, 5:48 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : formatting)
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

14" mono vs 11" DD Empty Re: 14" mono vs 11" DD

Post  Guest 3/8/2009, 4:38 pm

Hi Sean..
Others may have a different idea but ensitive extra on the 4ooo is mainly for use with DD coils as it will pick up alot more ground noise... to answer your question about running in sensitive smooth with the 14inch mono... u have the advantage of running a mono coil for sensitivity and depth and u have the option of running it quite and uping the gain to say 10-12.

Ray

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/8/2009, 5:16 pm

sean hi
 what you say makes sense but might i suggest you take some of the little nuggets you have found out to a noisy piece of ground and do some tests with both coils with different settings.i have done a little bit of this testing and have found the mono coils are much more responsive on small bits of gold.i had a little piece of gold on the ground that i could see but i couldn`t detect it with a dd,but the mono coil gave a nice big signal. i had a 3000 that i loved , then i bought a 4000 ,and i was so impressed with it,that i traded in my 3000  on another 4000,so the better half could use it. neither of us are setting the world on fire but both of us have improved on what we are finding,using 4000`s with mono coils,mainly running in sensitve on the front panel,and sensitive smooth on the rear panel,with gain on 15.
 hope this helps

Last edited by day one on 19/2/2017, 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar 4/8/2009, 1:34 am

Thanks for the replys ray and dave
I have found that some ground i can use s/extra and some ground that will give the empression of deep faint targets that i cannot ignore but if i switch over to s/smooth the noise is gone,in that case would it be safe to say its only ground noise,also i find when digging a target in smooth and the coils about 1-2 metres away and im swinging the pick i wont hear it much but if in extra it goes bananas,also another question it maybe basic but i have to ask,the other day i got a signal and started to dig after about an hour the hole was about 2 feet deep and i was puting the coil in the hole and there seemed to be several targets one louder than the others so i was going after that one trying to pin point it so the hole got deeper and longer,now heres what i was doing i was now a bit over a metre down and puting the left side of the coil towards where the target was and the detector liked it i think,it was making a sound like when you wave the coil over your pick at about a metre i was useing a 14 inch mono and had allready gone through one layer of wash i was wondering if you dip the coil down vertical in a hole will it make a big noise by itself,the noise itself sounds ok a bit like say the start of the sound of a .22 bullet but nearly canceling out like with a dd coil but it doesnt cancel,blank,or overload,its probably junk ill find out next time i go there because i ran out of time this last weekend,also ray the last few times ive been through dunolly there was some market going on and i couldnt find a park so that i could get one of those famous shepards pies from the bakery there,spewing,

Last edited by gollstar on 28/1/2011, 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 4/8/2009, 8:55 am

sean hi.
one thing i have found with mono coils,they can be a bitch for pin pointing.twice i have dug a pretty deep hole and gone past the target.when you say its a good sound when you turn the coil on its side it could be because the target is in the side of the hole.i have a 8" coil that i use for pinpointing in a deep hole.if i do this i don`t go through the effort of putting the 8" on a shaft and then on the machine,i simply lay the detector next to the hole,connect the 8" to the detector,and then just wave the 8" with my hand.
  hope this is of help

Back to top Go down