Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware

+11
bedrock
adwata
grumpy57
maka
chopppacalamari
nuggetninja69
bowy
xenon
big chop
reg
gcause
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware Empty Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware

Post  gcause Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi All,

Bunnings Hardware is selling Fiskar products and they are selling these cheap.

I only paid about AU$3 each for the tools I purchased.

But these are not cheap and cheerful tools they are all reinforced fibreglass polyamide and can lift 35kg. Shocked

A planter hoe which seems to be the equivalent of the Garrett Retriever with a slightly shorter handle but costing a lot less.

Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware 137040-Planter-s-Hoe_product_main_large

http://eng-au.fiskars.com/Products/Digging-Tools/Hand-tools/46050-Planter-Hoe

I purchased the following two items and am really happy with them:

Soil Scoop

Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware 46060-Multi-Purpose-Soil-Scoop_product_main_large

http://eng-au.fiskars.com/Products/Digging-Tools/Hand-tools/46060-Multi-Purpose-Soil-Scoop

Transplanter

Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware 137010-Transplanter_product_main_large

http://eng-au.fiskars.com/Products/Digging-Tools/Hand-tools/46020-Transplanter

You will notice they all have thumb grips on the handle which make them really good to use.

I will be going back and picking up the planter hoe.

Just thought you guys might want to know about these. Very Happy

Regards,

Grant
gcause
gcause
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware Empty Re: Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware

Post  reg Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:14 pm

gcause wrote:Hi All,

Bunnings Hardware is selling Fiskar products and they are selling these cheap.

I only paid about AU$3 each for the tools I purchased.

But these are not cheap and cheerful tools they are all reinforced fibreglass polyamide and can lift 35kg. Shocked

A planter hoe which seems to be the equivalent of the Garrett Retriever with a slightly shorter handle but costing a lot less.

Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware 137040-Planter-s-Hoe_product_main_large

http://eng-au.fiskars.com/Products/Digging-Tools/Hand-tools/46050-Planter-Hoe

I purchased the following two items and am really happy with them:

Soil Scoop

Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware 46060-Multi-Purpose-Soil-Scoop_product_main_large

http://eng-au.fiskars.com/Products/Digging-Tools/Hand-tools/46060-Multi-Purpose-Soil-Scoop

Transplanter

Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware 137010-Transplanter_product_main_large

http://eng-au.fiskars.com/Products/Digging-Tools/Hand-tools/46020-Transplanter

You will notice they all have thumb grips on the handle which make them really good to use.

I will be going back and picking up the planter hoe.

Just thought you guys might want to know about these. Very Happy

Regards,

Grant

might be ok for coin hunting but for gold i would like a heavier pick with a lot longer handle does make life a lot easyer.

cheers...reg
reg
reg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Back to top Go down

Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware Empty Re: Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware

Post  Guest Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi Reg,
I have been using (and loosing) little scoops.They are great and light and very very strong.
Great buy.
Cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  big chop Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:00 pm

i bought my pick from bunnings $7 works a treat Very Happy
big chop
big chop
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post  gcause Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:50 pm

One of these would be great for hard rock mining of quartz veins, but a bit expensive:

Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware 6290018

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_1700w-45-joule-ozito-ozdb45ja-18kg-demolition-breaker-kit_1962.aspx?search=rock+breaker&searchType=any&searchSubType=products

gcause
gcause
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware Empty re: gold digging equipment from bunnings

Post  Guest Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:02 pm

Hi all couple of points
1) I use a steel pick with 2 rear earth magnets on the bottom of the pick--they save u a lot of digging for steel.
2) go to RED DOT they have plastic spoons for a $1.50.
3) get the cord of ya detector and put clip onto the spoon ...u can still clip it to your harness when the tector feels like a ton---most of the time the cord is around the hand piece. Never lost one yet.
4) With my pick I also welded a piece of steel either side to act like a scoop..I dont think the plastic pick will cut the grass especially the spinny up here in the Pilbara

I have even broken the handle of my pick trying to dislodge some cap rock..didn't have a crow bar.

Have fun

Regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post  gcause Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:02 am

Hi OneDay69,

Thank you for those tips it really helps a newbie like me.

I have a couple of strong rare earth magnets so its time to add them to my pick. Very Happy

I agree about the plastic pick I was thinking the planters hoe would be good for beach detecting and less heavy to lug around than my full size mattock is.

Regards,

Grant
gcause
gcause
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  xenon Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:36 am

Hey, I like the look of that little rounded scoop thingy. I paid $20 for my "green prospercors scoop" and have nearly lost it numerous times, either by forgetting to pick it back up or it falling out of my side pocket (always wear cargo pants out there). So might pick a couple of those scoop things up next time I am near a bunnings store.

Thanks for the info
xenon
xenon
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:04 am

Gday

The Fiskars scoops and that are pretty good quality for the price, the scoops are good to make into "sand scoops" for the beach, all I did was to drill a series of holes through the back and top section near the handle to let the sand through, then put a plastic "C" shaped plastic shower curtain ring on the other end and you can hang it on your belt.

Be wary of those cheap small picks that they sell, the heads are cast and I have had one fly apart after hitting a rock, nearly copping the pointy end in the face, better off spending the money and getting one thats made for the job.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  bowy Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:28 am

I think the "transplanter" scoop is fantastic, but unfortunately I tend to leave them on the ground - I keep my original expensive green one as the spare - will have to follow the advice re clipping.
Learnt early on that you get what you pay for with the pick - destroyed the wifes gardening pick very quickly and had to replace it.
cheers,
bowy
bowy
bowy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:54 am

Some prospectors made up a pick head out of the leaf springs from an old Holden or a light truck. I made a few for myself and mates a few years back and they are going strong.Just cut the leaf spring to the shape you require with a large grinder,weld on a collar to fit the handle,and buy a cheap pick handle from bunnings. Dead easy.
I also use a plastic mesh kitchen sieve/strainer to pick up my unearthed targets rather than spoon. Great when the soil is very dry as you can sift the excess dirt and being a deep design,you can shake the contents abit harder. The gold always settles to the bottom of the sieve. Works about the same as a spoon when the dirt is wet.

Back to top Go down

Post  nuggetninja69 Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:58 am

The scoops look alright, might have to get me 1. I paid $22 for one of those big green ones from reeds..... Mad
nuggetninja69
nuggetninja69
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:30 am

I currently have 6 of those large scoops. I hit them with the mapgas to soften them up and make the tip flat. On average I leave one out in the bush somewhere every 2 detecting trips. I must tie it onto my belt or something.

I also have the fiskars rake. Its light and tough as a metal one. Has large heavy duty prongs for raking rocks and reasonable size branches outta the way so I can detect under the leaf litter. It also has a blade on the rear for scraping dirt.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  gcause Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:38 am

Why not do what the security guards do with their keys and use a retractable belt clip with a long kevlar cord and carabiner clip on it like this one.

Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware KB488B
gcause
gcause
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  bowy Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:56 pm

a great idea - guessing we would only need to replace the metal circular ring
cheers,
bowy
bowy
bowy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:48 pm

I use the same scoops. They are great. But buy a decent pick!!! I bought a bunnings one ( cast iron) tapped it on the ground in the carpark to put the head on, and the head split in 2..... I made my latest pick from a car spring ( spring steel, with a decent hard wood handle. I also have a walco and love it...
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware Empty Good digging equipment from bunnings.

Post  grumpy57 Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi to all fellow prospectors. The scoop i use i bought from Safeway for about $2.50. It is a pet food scoop and is nice and deep. It is bright red so is easy to see on the ground. I then went to our local upholsterer and got him to sew a pocket onto the side of my canvas control box cover. This only cost me $10.00. Due to having a stuffed disc in my back i always kneel on the ground to dig my holes. With the scoop on the side of the control box i can reach it without even having to look around to find it. I figre as i get older one needs to work smarter not harder. Cheers Grumpy (Doug).
grumpy57
grumpy57
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2011-06-21

Back to top Go down

Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware Empty re-good digging equipment from bunnings

Post  adwata Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:53 pm

prospectors pick
walco
cc
car spring
gardener
bunnings
all the best
Clint

adwata
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2011-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:28 pm

good idea I might get one of those.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:16 pm

Recycled rear spring from an old holden that was washed down in the floods.
Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware Dsc01424r
Nice long point for scraping crevices out, reheated and straightened a little at the point end to dig deeper as too much curve means you have to dig wider to go deeper...

maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  bedrock Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:19 pm

someone's putting the bunning scoop to good use for himself...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Scoop-Metal-Detector-Nugget-Plastic-Gold-Pan-Panning-/220882749449?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item336da34809
bedrock
bedrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post  xenon Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:07 am

So the geeza on ebay are selling them for $14.95........How much these little babies sell for in bunnings????
xenon
xenon
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  gcause Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:11 am

Bunnings has both types I posted earlier for about $3 each but he does add a rare earth magnet to them. Its obviously an expensive magnet. lol!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gold-Pan-Panning-Fossicking-Detecting-Prospecting-Scoop-/320780254504?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item4aaffe3d28

Last edited by gcause on Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
gcause
gcause
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  xenon Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:13 am

gcause wrote:Bunnings has them for $3 but he does add a rare earth magnet to them. Its obviously an expensive magnet. lol!

Yes, because they are so rare Laughing
xenon
xenon
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  gcause Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:16 am

Anyone looking for a good source of rare earth magnets they have them at Jaycar for a reasonable price.

There is also a fellow who sells bulk lots on ebay who is based at Redcliffe.
gcause
gcause
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:35 am

If you want magnets, next time you see an old exercise bike or treadmill on roadside cleanup or at the dump, you can pull between 8 and 20 large ones out of them....
Great for putting just above the edge of a rake if you want to clean up hotrocks and reswing over the area..
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ismael Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:56 pm

bedrock wrote:someone's putting the bunning scoop to good use for himself...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Scoop-Metal-Detector-Nugget-Plastic-Gold-Pan-Panning-/220882749449?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item336da34809

You know what is ridiculous about this clown is we pick the plastic ones so we can wave over the coil!! He has completely f@%ked it up by putting the magnet in it. BTW at the moment bunnings have them on special for $2.49!!
Ismael
Ismael
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-11-18

http://www.minelabmods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charcoal_chaser Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:21 pm

Would like to take this to clermont n see what i can dig up
Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware Digger10

charcoal_chaser
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2011-04-01

Back to top Go down

Good digging equipment from Bunnings Hardware Empty re: gold digging equipment

Post  Guest Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:29 pm

I can't believe how many so called prospectors leave their gear behind..ie scoops etc..
Do what most of us do when age has beset the memory department---

cable tie it to ya bungee cord clip which attaches to ya harness from the tector---- Minelab detectors...
Use an xtra long cable tie--u can shorten it if u want.

When not in use flik it over the handle..No brainer really..

Regards
Oneday69

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:36 pm

Oneday69, you're so clever....I wish I'd thought of that.

Sad
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next