Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking after your equipment

+3
Curley
delapan
Kon61gold
7 posters

Go down

Looking after your equipment Empty Looking after your equipment

Post  Kon61gold Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:24 pm

Now how many of us just shove our equipment in a bag then into the cupboard and forget abut it till next time. Then a couple of days before we go out again, make sure the battery is full and off we go again. Sound familiar?

What about cleaning your gear, fixing any problems found, putting new batteries in the two ways - oh yes forgot about that.

I'm sure that some of us actually look after our equipment a bit better than this. Like to share what you do?

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4509
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Looking after your equipment Empty Re: Looking after your equipment

Post  delapan Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:43 pm

hi jef, after each trip i recharge the battery on the way home, the coil and stem gets wiped down with a damp cloth and the control box wiped with a dry cloth and a gentle blow from the air compressor and brushed with a paintbrush, after every 9 or 10 trips, the skid plates get taken off, emptied, wiped out and re-taped back on, the detector and coil in use gets kept in a bag for protection, i figure for $6k it deserves looking after and i want it to last as long as possible as well as being a good resale item if it ever gets sold, regards, gary
delapan
delapan
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Curley Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:53 pm

Ok you got me. Guilty Looking after your equipment Icon_biggrin I do buggerall when it comes to maintenance and care. I usually remember to put the battery on the charge and thats it.
BUT !!
When it comes to preparing to go on a trip/weekend away I sharpen the pick, maybe wipe down the detector check the coils (a little bit of tape here and there Looking after your equipment Icon_rolleyes ). I usually go too far and dont use half the stuff I packed ect.
One thing I do do occasionally is send the box to Minelab especially if you have any doubts about its performance. Doesnt hurt especially if its an older model.
So in summary I am actually doing things the wrong way around. I should check it all and look after it a bit better when I come back from a trip but this is usually the last thing I want to do at that time (beer comes first then a shower Looking after your equipment Icon_biggrin ).
My bad Looking after your equipment Icon_redface
Cheers
Curley
Curley
Curley
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:46 pm

I cleaned mine once Looking after your equipment Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:31 pm

I wiped the screen with my finger the other night. Looking after your equipment Icon_eek
Cleaned, & it works better too, just like a bought one. Looking after your equipment Icon_tongue
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:53 am

Which finger? Looking after your equipment Icon_basketball
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:13 am

I got my stuff out of the bag yesterdayand wiped it down. Then I put the harness on and walked around with it on for a while, until my wife started to make comments about my sanity.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:43 am

Back off the wingnut that attaches your coil to the stem when you are not using your detector.This is the main cause of those stress fractures that do occur.
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:58 am

Morning Jigalong,
Having a bit of a chuckle here about your comment about sanity.
Have been seen wearing my backpack while doing mods and adjustments and similar comments in the air. Looking after your equipment Lol
Yes a close look at your equipment and some cleaning helps you with trouble free trips. Not only that it feels good seeing your investment maintained in almost as new condition.

Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down