Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are we being ripped off here in Australia. Check this out

+12
Lantana
Ismael
HOBO'S Gold
Jonathan Porter
Col Douglas
24kt
deutran
MS
Razgo
nero_design
kon61
mulgadansa
16 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Are we being ripped off here in Australia. Check this out - Page 3 Empty Re: Are we being ripped off here in Australia. Check this out

Post  Guest Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:37 pm

...all these assumptions....which is all they are...how do you know the AU $ even comes into the equation.<except at the end of the deal>.?
The end flap of my GPX5000 box bought from prominant Aussie dealer actually states...Designed by Minelab Electronics,Australia.Assembled for Minelab Electronics, Australia under contract by subsidiary of Plexus Corp.USA.
MADE IN MALAYSIA.

Now what if they can be shipped straight to USA from Malaysia at far more favourable terms/exchange rates than getting them into Australia?...voila!....we have the answer...no rip offs...USA are getting the same product on better terms of Exchange and perhaps better contract....and despatch/carriage rates....
As the US $ has always been the International currency..we might be the ones having to suffer the $ conversions.......Minelab is hardly going to respond to our requests for information on this basis are they?
With parity we may well see some justified price differentials DOWN in the near future..or it may indeed be absorbed as that nasty word that actually keeps business doors open...PROFIT..there I said it.....
Infinium is now AU $1400 odd ..started out at AU$3500 in 2002....been coming down ever since...AU $1900 about 2 months ago.....the problem is none of you want an Infinium you all want a GPX5000 at Infinium prices....dont hold your breath waiting for the Minelab price reduction. particularly with a new owner looking to recover its Investment costs..<honestly would you if you owned them as they are still selling well and that is not just an assumption Wink ..>...Hoo Roo

Last edited by larry303 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Are we being ripped off here in Australia. Check this out - Page 3 Empty Re: Are we being ripped off here in Australia. Check this out

Post  HOBO'S Gold Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Putting a HUGWASH at the end is most likely just to convince yourself of your purchase and gain some brownie points or whatever .

Mark
[/quote]

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! No just my opinion.

Regards Johnny sunny

HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:19 am

kon61 wrote:

G'day Gents.

Does not supply and demand dictate prices? Does not the supply and demand differ in every country of the world on any one particular item,due to each countries individual circumstances.Greeds got nothing to do with price fixing,but i can assure you,demand for a particular good or service does.If the demand is there on anything in life (regardless of cost) people will pay the price to get it.

Cheers kon61.

Yes Kon61, I agree...supply and demand does dictate pricing (as JP also stated)...You just have to check out the outragous prices the 15x12 mono;s were going for in the Sudan last year.... But...yes, there is a but.... to quote 2 Aus dealers........ "Yes we have GPX5000 in stock, they are not moving anywhere near as fast as the GPX4500 were, there was a 3 month waiting list to get one of those". So that cant be the reason for the price difference..... ML still waiting for your response........

Back to top Go down

Post  24kt Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:35 am

larry303 wrote:...all these assumptions....which is all they are...how do you know the AU $ even comes into the equation.<except at the end of the deal>.?
The end flap of my GPX5000 box bought from prominant Aussie dealer actually states...Designed by Minelab Electronics,Australia.Assembled for Minelab Electronics, Australia under contract by subsidiary of Plexus Corp.USA.
MADE IN MALAYSIA.

Now what if they can be shipped straight to USA from Malaysia at far more favourable terms/exchange rates than getting them into Australia?...voila!....we have the answer...no rip offs...USA are getting the same product on better terms of Exchange and perhaps better contract....and despatch/carriage rates....
As the US $ has always been the International currency..we might be the ones having to suffer the $ conversions.......Minelab is hardly going to respond to our requests for information on this basis are they?
With parity we may well see some justified price differentials DOWN in the near future..or it may indeed be absorbed as that nasty word that actually keeps business doors open...PROFIT..there I said it.....
Infinium is now AU $1400 odd ..started out at AU$3500 in 2002....been coming down ever since...AU $1900 about 2 months ago.....the problem is none of you want an Infinium you all want a GPX5000 at Infinium prices....dont hold your breath waiting for the Minelab price reduction. particularly with a new owner looking to recover its Investment costs..<honestly would you if you owned them as they are still selling well and that is not just an assumption Wink ..>...Hoo Roo

LOL my head hurts alien parity = parity regardless what country you live in. Larry a simple test buy a one dollar item from the USA. What has this item cost you in Australian dollars.

Malaysia shipping to either Australia or USA is a HUGE difference in distance unless their going via a slow boat to China first. Geography wasn't my strongest study at High School I even get lost in my own backyard LOL.

I love Google and Yahoo it is like having my own personal tutor and lessons per hour cost me less than a quarter of a cent.

You asked:
How many kilometers is Malaysia from the usa? 15,332.75 kilometres

http://www.travelmath.com/flight-distance/from/Malaysia/to/Australia
The flight distance from Malaysia to Australia is:
2,972 miles / 4,783 km

http://www.distancefromto.net/distance-from/Malaysia/to/Australia

Yes we have nautical miles and air travel distance you pick which you like and play around with the figures.

Now without being picky and stipulating from city to city to get exact distance measurements I would still have to say USA is a lot further away than Australia and in my books that would mean cheaper shipping costs to ship GPX's from Malaysia to Australia not the other way around how you have suggested. Unless I have totally misunderstood what your saying in this post that I'm referring to. Again this doesn't explain the price difference from country to country when it comes do to the price difference on the GPX'x from AUstralia to the USA prices. Yes we all are make huge amounts of rash generalizations and assumptions.

Some several years later the Australian dollars has gained grounds on the USA dollar and still we pay more for the same product LOL doesn't make sense.

As one politician once said " PLEASE EXPLAIN ? " maybe she should replace Big Kev and she would of fixed all these anomalies. PMSFL

Cheers
24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:35 am

Yes 24Kt you are misunderstanding what I'm saying but do go on anyway.....
You re-produced what I said about manufacture however did you read it?
Made in Malaysia. Assembled...........under contract by subsidiary by Plexus Corp, USA.
Components made in Malaysia. Penang has 2 Manufacturing/Engineering sites for Plexus Corp which appearantly ASSEMBLES AND POSSIBLY MANUFACTURES however has no proprietary products of their own...
USA has 8 Manufacturing/Engineering sites for Plexus Corp <& appearantly no proprietary products of their own>
Could we not be talking about the price of a product that is not manufactured or assembled in Australia however was/is designed and all R & D carried out here.....
Accordingly why does it HAVE to be cheaper here in Australia when it may be assembled <or even some components manufactured> for the USA market in USA?...and conversely we receive our Australian designed product from Malaysia appearantly manufactured and assembled in Penang. 8 Plexus facilities in USA, 2 in Malaysia and perhaps no assembling plants here in Australia <maybe we have 100's employed here in Australia assembling however I live in the Real World and I think its the expertise/ brains we have here and very few workers >.WHERE ARE THE HEADPHONES, BATTERY'S,COILS MANUFACTURED??...get out that Atlas again and work out who would have the greatest landed cost.......do some Googling...and your answer may be patently obvious why we pay more........or to cater for the conspiracy theorists...why not..."hey! they find more gold in OZ than the US..let 'em pay more for the priviledge of findin' it with a Minelab" ...what do you think is the more plausible explanation....its a great product I dont care if its manufactured to Australian design in outer Mongolia..<I see outer Mongolia is in an exciting mining venture at the moment as well..serious> Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Are we being ripped off here in Australia. Check this out - Page 3 Empty PMSFL Larry it is patently obvious we are getting ripped off here in Australia

Post  24kt Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:13 pm

larry303"]Yes 24Kt .......again and work out who would have the greatest landed cost.......do some Googling...and your answer may be patently obvious why we pay more........

PMSFL Larry it is patently obvious we are getting ripped off here in Australia

cheers
24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:34 pm

[quote="24kt"]
larry303"]
......... Larry it is patently obvious we are getting ripped off here in Australia

cheers

Yawn!!!! drunken drunken ......... Don't like the price then don't buy the bloody thing, sheeesh!!!! scratch We aren't being ripped off, the yanks are getting a lucky break is all. flower

Just one last thing before I permanently stop looking at this thread because it is getting so stale. bounce America has different laws to Australia, which means the US market cannot sell below a certain price point hence the MSRP prices quoted, then the discounted prices all being the same and then the sweetener from the various dealers to attract customers. Australia on the other hand has very strong rules on what can and cannot be done as far as competition is concerned and is controlled by a consumer watch dog who makes sure there is absolutely no price fixing. Which is why you see deals or hear of deals that are well below the RRP inclusive of GST. If a dealer wants they can sell for cost and not make a zack, but beware this then flows onto second hand units not holding their price either.

The GPX 5000 represents good value for money compared to everything else in the market these days, it does what they say it will do, it's not that much dearer than the original SD 2000 released 16 years ago, considering how much inflation has gone up since then (remember what the price of fuel was back in 1995?), and they (Minelab PI's) traditionally hold their value in the second hand market reasonably well after a few years. If you think the price is too steep then go talk to a dealer, there's no one to stop them from just giving you the damn thing just to stop the whining, or go buy something you can afford because this subject has been done to death over and over again to the point of rigor mortis. Exclamation

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:43 pm

...so the only Country where its not actually made is paying more ..Australia...wasnt this the basis or your original argument....?....or the very anthesis of your argument......?.....you cant have it both ways...it may be designed here and and all R & D and repairs are made here..but if we are the only place where its not made or even possibly assembled, then why doesnt it follow on all your previous collective arguments that it should cost more not less here which it obviously does...although with GST and all other costs taken into consideration our landed costs are on a parity......and we are not being ripped off...if it aint made here why should it be cheaper?...than where it is made/assembled....these are assumptions....the actual is if you go and look at the box flap for your GPX5000 what does yours say 24Kt?...Made in Malaysia?.....I wonder what the box flap for a USA sold GPX5000 states...would be an interesting answer....?...where is the victim? we get an Australian designed detector that if it was made here would possibly be Au$8000 as a lot of folk assumed/feared it may be when it was released.....Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:57 pm

[quote="Jonathan Porter"]
24kt wrote:
larry303"]
......... Larry it is patently obvious we are getting ripped off here in Australia

cheers

Yawn!!!! drunken drunken ......... Don't like the price then don't buy the bloody thing, sheeesh!!!! scratch We aren't being ripped off, the yanks are getting a lucky break is all. flower

Just one last thing before I permanently stop looking at this thread because it is getting so stale. bounce America has different laws to Australia, which means the US market cannot sell below a certain price point hence the MSRP prices quoted, then the discounted prices all being the same and then the sweetener from the various dealers to attract customers. Australia on the other hand has very strong rules on what can and cannot be done as far as competition is concerned and is controlled by a consumer watch dog who makes sure there is absolutely no price fixing. Which is why you see deals or hear of deals that are well below the RRP inclusive of GST. If a dealer wants they can sell for cost and not make a zack, but beware this then flows onto second hand units not holding their price either.

The GPX 5000 represents good value for money compared to everything else in the market these days, it does what they say it will do, it's not that much dearer than the original SD 2000 released 16 years ago, considering how much inflation has gone up since then (remember what the price of fuel was back in 1995?), and they (Minelab PI's) traditionally hold their value in the second hand market reasonably well after a few years. If you think the price is too steep then go talk to a dealer, there's no one to stop them from just giving you the damn thing just to stop the whining, or go buy something you can afford because this subject has been done to death over and over again to the point of rigor mortis. Exclamation

JP

Well said Jono. cheers

Regards Johnny sunny
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:36 pm

JP.....its past Rigor Mortis....Liquor Mortis is now setting in...hic!...now what was the origavinal queshion agin? bounce

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:03 am

Hey JP,

Realise that you prob wont even read this post if this topic is boring you that much.We aren't being ripped off, the yanks are getting a lucky break is all.

But to quote your earlier post......

Firstly -" We aren't being ripped off, the yanks are getting a lucky break is all." C'mon, you have to say that seeing as you are part of the ML bandwagon.

Secondly "Australia on the other hand has very strong rules on what can and cannot be done as far as competition is concerned and is controlled by a consumer watch dog who makes sure there is absolutely no price fixing["..........Honestly, do you believe this. If the so called :watch dog" was so powerfull then why does petrol always go up on Thursday (well it does here in WA), every company at every bowser hikes the price of fuel by around 14c a litre on a Thursday, coincidence....i think not. The watch dog sees this and nothing happens. What about Coles and Woolworths owning around 70% of the grocery market here in Aus...Have you never wondered why these 2 shops rarely have the same products on special at the same time...(Maybe you dont do the grocery shopping to see this).
The countries watch dog is a poodle....and a pink one at that..... Companies know they can get away with murder here... "NO PRICE FIXING HERE" lol! Lets just agree to differ on that one eh!

Had no idea my origional posting would of caused such a stir in the community...., stop me if I am wrong but I thought this forum was a place to ask questions and discuss various matters associated with the GPX5000. It seems very obvious to me now that a fair few of you people out there are "MINELAB AGENTS" who take pleasure in down-trodding other people in this forum who are genuinly concerned that we, as the general public, are being given a raw deal. I hope you guys feel proud of yourselves after posting these rude and very unnecessay comments.

All I can say is that it would of been nice to of heard from a "Senior Minelab official" with their explanations regarding this matter. Oh, on that note LARRY303[i], I actually emailed minelab to enquire about whether their machines came from Malaysia and they replied informing me that all their machines were MADE IN AUSTRALIA, go figure

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:40 am

brookesy888 wrote:Hey JP,

Realise that you prob wont even read this post if this topic is boring you that much.We aren't being ripped off, the yanks are getting a lucky break is all.

But to quote your earlier post......

Firstly -" We aren't being ripped off, the yanks are getting a lucky break is all." C'mon, you have to say that seeing as you are part of the ML bandwagon.

Secondly "Australia on the other hand has very strong rules on what can and cannot be done as far as competition is concerned and is controlled by a consumer watch dog who makes sure there is absolutely no price fixing["..........Honestly, do you believe this. If the so called :watch dog" was so powerfull then why does petrol always go up on Thursday (well it does here in WA), every company at every bowser hikes the price of fuel by around 14c a litre on a Thursday, coincidence....i think not. The watch dog sees this and nothing happens. What about Coles and Woolworths owning around 70% of the grocery market here in Aus...Have you never wondered why these 2 shops rarely have the same products on special at the same time...(Maybe you dont do the grocery shopping to see this).
The countries watch dog is a poodle....and a pink one at that..... Companies know they can get away with murder here... "NO PRICE FIXING HERE" lol! Lets just agree to differ on that one eh!

Had no idea my origional posting would of caused such a stir in the community...., stop me if I am wrong but I thought this forum was a place to ask questions and discuss various matters associated with the GPX5000. It seems very obvious to me now that a fair few of you people out there are "MINELAB AGENTS" who take pleasure in down-trodding other people in this forum who are genuinly concerned that we, as the general public, are being given a raw deal. I hope you guys feel proud of yourselves after posting these rude and very unnecessay comments.

All I can say is that it would of been nice to of heard from a "Senior Minelab official" with their explanations regarding this matter. Oh, on that note LARRY303[i], I actually emailed minelab to enquire about whether their machines came from Malaysia and they replied informing me that all their machines were MADE IN AUSTRALIA, go figure

To be fair and personally answer the original poster I'll just say this and then I'm done on the subject. Everyone has a right to question what they're paying in the market place, I made my comments in an attempt to give balance to the discussion based on what I know is fact, not some anti-Minelab agenda. As is always the case with emotive subjects like this one the conspiracy theorists creep in through the back door, to be honest I'm sick and tired of it as I'm sure a lot of other people are too. It's now pretty clear to me you don't want to hear others opinions but instead complain about the price disparity by only listening to those who want to complain which is your right but does not necessarily make you right, however branding everyone who disagrees as MINELAB AGENTS is pretty over the top especially when you suggest those who are not saying what you want to hear are being
down-trodding and rude

We truly live in the lucky country, so do as I suggested and vote with your wallet, don't buy the detector and soon enough Minelab will have to capitulate by lowering their prices, just bear in mind though, Easter is just round the corner and a huge amount of people are just chaffing at the bit to head out in the cooler weather and blood their new over priced metal detectors. If the detector was over priced then people would just not buy them, making a comparison between a metal detector and petrol is pretty far fetched because a metal detector is not a "must have" item, whereas petrol is. As for the consumer watch dog, if there is evidence of collusion on price fixing then I can assure you there will be huge fines associated with it if they get caught out.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  24kt Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:18 am

larry303 wrote:...so the only Country where its not actually made is paying more ..Australia...wasnt this the basis or your original argument....?....or the very anthesis of your argument......?.....you cant have it both ways...it may be designed here and and all R & D and repairs are made here..but if we are the only place where its not made or even possibly assembled, then why doesnt it follow on all your previous collective arguments that it should cost more not less here which it obviously does...although with GST and all other costs taken into consideration our landed costs are on a parity......and we are not being ripped off...if it aint made here why should it be cheaper?...than where it is made/assembled....these are assumptions....the actual is if you go and look at the box flap for your GPX5000 what does yours say 24Kt?...Made in Malaysia?.....I wonder what the box flap for a USA sold GPX5000 states...would be an interesting answer....?...where is the victim? we get an Australian designed detector that if it was made here would possibly be Au$8000 as a lot of folk assumed/feared it may be when it was released.....Hoo Roo

PMSFL Larry, when I went to school 1 = 1 , not 1 = 2 , so " parity " Australian Dollar = American Dollar = parity LOL.

Now we learn the ML GPX doesn't equal MADE IN AUSTRALIA and there all the justifications why we are paying more and not to mention what JP has quote through many other posts and threads.

As far as being stale this thread and all it posted entirety seems we have many people reading them as compared to other threads on this forum. Might be boring for you JP but you still keep coming back LOL. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy mmmmmmmmmmmmm 71 Replies 1994 Views Jonathan Porter Last Posts
Today at 6:40 am , PMSFL interest and curiosity is still very alive on the topic.

Cheers
24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:36 am

Gday Ladies and Gentlemen

Just a quick note to say that some postings are taking a turn in the direction of becoming personal attacks, please be advised that it will not be tolerated and the topic will be locked, if you ask a question consider the answer and derive from it what you can, respond if you like but be reminded that you should be respectful of the right of the other member/poster to also have an opinion on the subject as well.

Remembers the rules of this forum, if you cant then read the rules from the link that I have added below.

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t3-welcome-the-rules-of-the-forum

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:38 am

..perhaps only the label on my GPX5000 box was Made in Malaysia as it states and the rest of the detector is made in Australia........ pig

Back to top Go down

Post  Vertigo Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:15 am

I just happen to be a Yank with a 5000 and all the US labels I've seen say "Made in Malaysia". MSRP is $6995 in the US but $5595 is the going price. However, when I bought mine they threw in a new Toyota Landcruiser and a complete bedroom furniture set Very Happy Of course you fellas pay more, but you have better gold fields to hunt. Sounds like a fair trade off to me. I'd bet the average 5000 owner in the US doesn't find a fraction of what their Aussie counterparts uncover.

Vertigo
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:23 pm

G'day Vertigo,welcome to the Forum.

I for one,completely agree with you there,and some people here think,that we've got it hard.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Vertigo Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:04 pm

kon61 wrote: G'day Vertigo,welcome to the Forum.

I for one,completely agree with you there,and some people here think,that we've got it hard.

Cheers kon61.

Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it. I'd gladly trade places with any one of you for $1000.

Vertigo
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:38 pm

Well you wouldn't want to import from the UK then, cos they cost more than they do here. Like everything, price seems to be based on what the consumer is willing to pay.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:45 pm

davsgold wrote:Well you wouldn't want to import from the UK then, cos they cost more than they do here. Like everything, price seems to be based on what the consumer is willing to pay.

Hi Davsgold,

Yes they are "kinda" more expensive. They are currently retailing at 3999 uk pounds which converts to $6351 Aus.'

Again though, we need to consider a few factors with this.

1 - The origional retail price of the Gpx5000 here was $6700....Now that is $350 more expensive> Yes it is true that ML has put on their "summer special" price tag which is now currently $6300.

2 - Shipping costs of these units would be fairly costly to the UK from here.

3 - The VAT (Value Added Tax) in the UK is 17.5%....Here GST stands at 10%.....If the 7.5% difference is subtracted from the $6300 current price then we get to the grand total of $5824.

Now I am not going to go about comparing every single countries price difference on the GPX5000 over tthe cost of what they retail for here in Australia as I really dont have the time or intrest to do this. (am sure this would just peeve even more people off on this forum). Very Happy And who knows, this debate might well be raging in the UK on their forums.

We seem to of diverted a little from my origional post which "quite innocently" asked the question of

why are we paying alot more money than the USA for the GPX5000 seeing as it is made here....

Little did i know it would cause such a stir and upset such a large number of people. Oh well, I make no apposogies for that. It was a question I wanted to know the answer to and hoped someone out there could enlighten me of. I hardly think this thread is "past its sell by date" as some people has suggested, the posts still seem to be coming in and going strong.

Isn't it nice trhat we live in a free country and have the FREEDOM OF SPEECH. lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  24kt Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:40 am

brookesy888 wrote:Hey JP,.....................All I can say is that it would of been nice to of heard from a "Senior Minelab official" with their explanations regarding this matter. Oh, on that note LARRY303, I actually emailed minelab to enquire about whether their machines came from Malaysia and they replied informing me that all their machines were MADE IN AUSTRALIA, go figure

[i]Dammmmmmmmm now I know why the ML GPX5000 is more expensive here in Australia , The packaging is manufactured in Malaysia that would explain everything PMSFL.
I knew there was a perfectly good explanation!!!!! Embarassed

Whether we have more or less gold to find in a particular country bares no argument LOL why we pay more or vice versa why other countries pay less cause they don't have abundance of of GOLD. Putting this forward as a a valid argument I would have to make a assumption ML is giving them away FREE in Malta cause there are not precious metals on this Island.

Cheers
24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:41 am

brookesy888 wrote:

1 - The origional retail price of the Gpx5000 here was $6700....Now that is $350 more expensive> Yes it is true that ML has put on their "summer special" price tag which is now currently $6300.

The introducton price was $6695.
The Summer Special is $6595 and NOT $6300.

The USA has a MAP (minimum advertisable price) which is probably why many of them are throwing in freebies.

Cheers.
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Vertigo Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:58 am

24kt wrote:
brookesy888 wrote:Hey JP,.....................All I can say is that it would of been nice to of heard from a "Senior Minelab official" with their explanations regarding this matter. Oh, on that note LARRY303, I actually emailed minelab to enquire about whether their machines came from Malaysia and they replied informing me that all their machines were MADE IN AUSTRALIA, go figure

[i]Dammmmmmmmm now I know why the ML GPX5000 is more expensive here in Australia , The packaging is manufactured in Malaysia that would explain everything PMSFL.
I knew there was a perfectly good explanation!!!!! Embarassed

Whether we have more or less gold to find in a particular country bares no argument LOL why we pay more or vice versa why other countries pay less cause they don't have abundance of of GOLD. Putting this forward as a a valid argument I would have to make a assumption ML is giving them away FREE in Malta cause there are not precious metals on this Island.

Cheers

I guess that's why the 4500's were selling so cheap in the Sudan...

Vertigo
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:19 am

Brookesy,.... I dont see anyone getting upset over this question in any of the above postings....you may be getting upset there isn't......I see it as a reasonable response from members attempting to answer your original question in the absence of concrete facts many assumptions have had to be made...
I believe the answer to your original question lies clearly within the above posts.....
Do we now go "Loopty Loop" for the third time with this thread.....?...
If someone has new information to add that will be refreshing for all.........Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:43 pm

[/quote]

I guess that's why the 4500's were selling so cheap in the Sudan...[/quote]

Hi Vertigo,

Not to sure how much those gpx4500 were going for in the Sudan last year, but I believe it was an astounding amount. I know the 15x12 ML coils were fetching the thousands. Unfortunalety this is what happens during a frenzy, like back in the Netherlands a century or 2 ago where people were quite happy swapping their house for a single new species of tulip bulb. Crazy, yes, but some people struck rich by doing so, others went broke. But this is what a frenzy does to people.

I dont know whether there are any ML suppliers in the Sudan at the moment but if your ever out that way you can pop to the United Arab Erirates (a nice little 2500km drive from Sudan) and buy a new gpx5000 from the ML dealer there for $5400 Aus.

Qld Sandy .... Sorry mate, I thought it was $6300 but you are correct, the ML summer special is $6595.
Does,nt Aus have a "MAP" (minimum advertised price) too. I am guessing this is why all the suppliers here are advertising the gpx5000 at the exact same price.

Larry303 ...... I am not getting upset. In fact, far from it. I am a happy,peace loving individual who likes nothing better than getting a break from work and going bush.
I am pleased there has been so many contrabuters to this topic offering many different possibilities as to why we are paying more for the gpx5000 here than the US, (and as it turns out more than most other countries). But, as you already mentioned, all these suggestions are not concrete facts. This I assume is why this topic is still going strong.

Back to top Go down

Are we being ripped off here in Australia. Check this out - Page 3 Empty By the way welcome to the forum Vertigo - moral or ethical business practice

Post  24kt Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:28 pm

Vertigo wrote:
24kt wrote:[................

By the way welcome to the forum Vertigo , I don't know if your being sarcastic or is there a hidden agenda for this remark LOL ,I hope it is the first otherwise your opening a whole new can of worms LOL !!!!

Where moral or ethical business practice come into the equation Maybe JP can make a comment on this.

Cheers

24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Vertigo Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:47 pm

24kt wrote:
Vertigo wrote:

By the way welcome to the forum Vertigo , I don't know if your being sarcastic or is there a hidden agenda for this remark LOL ,I hope it is the first otherwise your opening a whole new can of worms LOL !!!!

Where moral or ethical business practice come into the equation Maybe JP can make a comment on this.

Cheers

I think satire would be a better descriptive of my remark than sarcasim. The difference being, the former is more akin to surgery vs butchery. I have no agenda, just an observation. I suppose the old dictum prevails; the market will bare what the demand dictates. There, is that better? Wink

Vertigo
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Are we being ripped off here in Australia. Check this out - Page 3 Empty Satire would be a better description

Post  24kt Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Vertigo wrote:
24kt wrote:
Vertigo wrote:

Cheers

I think satire would be a better descriptive of my remark than sarcasim. The difference being, the former is more akin to surgery vs butchery. I have no agenda, just an observation. I suppose the old dictum prevails; the market will bare what the demand dictates. There, is that better? Wink

PMSFL you make me laugh at first and now I'm in deep thought Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Suspect

Vertigo," guess that's why the 4500's were selling so cheap in the Sudan..." can you put a dollar $$$$.$$ numerical value as to what they were selling for in Sudan?

Cheers
24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:45 pm

Think they were selling cheap simply because they were the crap counterfeit ones
we all heard about late last year.
Bet the counterfeit coiltek and NF coils were cheap n nasty too.

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Vertigo Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:57 am

24kt wrote:
Vertigo wrote:
24kt wrote:
Vertigo wrote:

Cheers

PMSFL you make me laugh at first and now I'm in deep thought Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Suspect

Vertigo," guess that's why the 4500's were selling so cheap in the Sudan..." can you put a dollar $$$$.$$ numerical value as to what they were selling for in Sudan?

Cheers

PMSFL ?, is that Practical Money Skills For Life?

Apparently you fellas don't remember the outrageous prices in Sudan, upwards of $15,000. US dealers couldn't even get a 4500 from ML.

In all honesty, I have no idea why ML charges you more than in the US. Whether it's market factors, taxes, re-importation fees, or just plain gouging, only ML has the answer. However, I can assure you that some of ML's business decisions are not well though out. Their recent US trade-in incentive program is a good example. Who ever thought that one up didn't know $hit from Shinola. It wasn't until a US dealer pointed out how stupid it was did they revised the program.

I guess all I can do is feeling sorry for you poor Aussies. An extra $1000 for the best detector on the best gold fields in the world, woe-is-me. I think I figured it was gonna cost me about $12,000 to make the trip there, minus the $1000 I saved on the GPX of course.

Vertigo
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next