Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are we being ripped off here in Australia. Check this out

+12
Lantana
Ismael
HOBO'S Gold
Jonathan Porter
Col Douglas
24kt
deutran
MS
Razgo
nero_design
kon61
mulgadansa
16 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Are we being ripped off here in Australia. Check this out Empty Are we being ripped off here in Australia. Check this out

Post  Guest Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:15 pm

I will soon be purchasing a new GPX 5000 and have been scouting the websites to find the best deal I can. Seems that here in Australia they are all basically the same price, give or take $100 or so. A couple of shops are offering very minimal extras as a sweetener.

Happened to hit on this US site. Just see for yourself the deals the folk in the US are getting.

Now seeing as the Aus and US dollar are basically one for one, why is it that a machine made in Australia is over $1K cheaper in the US and they get all those extras thrown in for good measure.

I am not writing this to start a "Minelab bashing" page but am interested what other people out there think (especially fellow aussies). It just seems to me that Minelab had forgotten to look after their own people in this industry.

http://arizonaoutback.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=8864

Please keep it civil people

Back to top Go down

Are we being ripped off here in Australia. Check this out Empty Re: Are we being ripped off here in Australia. Check this out

Post  mulgadansa Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:08 pm

Gday Brookesy
Yep, went through exactly the same process you're going through about this time last year when looking for an Xterra for the wife.
I think you can blame the various govt duties for the disparity. Be careful if you do go the import route, as you may get caught for duty on the item when importing from US. This'll beef it up to about the same as Oz then.
I ended up buying local.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Are we being ripped off here in Australia. Check this out Empty Re: Are we being ripped off here in Australia. Check this out

Post  kon61 Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:49 pm

Bret,not you may,but you will end up paying duty the moment it arrives through our customs(Total 15% on top of purchase price, on any item above $1000Au),and if you include delivery,brings it right on par with our own Aus dealers.As for the so called extras,you'll find most to be of useless benefit.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:14 pm

[quote="kon61"]
Bret,not you may,but you will end up paying duty the moment it arrives through our customs(Total 15% on top of purchase price, on any item above $1000Au),and if you include delivery,brings it right on par with our own Aus dealers.As for the so called extras,you'll find most to be of useless benefit.

Hi Kon61,
not to sure what you mean by finding most of the "extras useless". The coils alone with the skid plates would cost about $600. Then theres the bungee, the scales and the carry bag. Have not found any dealer here in oz that will throw in a coil for free. The 15x12 and the 8in coils are well worth while having as part of your arsenal.

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:17 pm

Brooksy,I see what you mean.I jumped the gun and lobbed on to kellyco and metaldetector.com.The two extra coils offered by Chris Gholson including detector bag and scales are worthy extras as long as the minelab warranty is transferable and honored here,then and then only can i consider the whole package worth while.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi kon61,
Yes I agree. I am very dubious about importing something of that value as if the warrenty is not transferable then sods law dictates the machine would be faulty Smile. Just after some views from people here in oz in regards to the lack of extras you get from minelab and co. If someone is going to be spending around $6.5k on a machine you would at least think a control box cover and a good case to store the detector in would come as part of the package to protect your assett. But alas, it is not the case. Seems like I will have to pay top dollar once again....

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:37 pm

Gday Brooksy/Kon
I seem to remember someone referring to this warranty issue on the forum last year and the upshot was that ML would fully honour the warranty regardless of where the machine was purchased. Seems logical given the companies reputation and market standing.
Why not ring/email ML and ask the question up front.
I know a guy who bought his 4500 in the US and saved a bundle (don't know about duty though).
If I was seriously going down this path with a 5000, I'd be ringing Customs as well and getting a written ruling.
You or someone you know well are not travelling to the US where you could buy and bring it back in person? I know the dealers there won't export to Oz as I tried it with the Xterra.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:45 pm

Unless you lie to customs and risk a massive fine plus seizure of your goods and possibly jail time for fraud if they can show you did so intentionally, you'll be paying for the imported item, shipping costs, insurance, GST on everything including service fees and then a Customs import duty tariff (listed under electronics/electrical equipment/magnetic field Tariff section 16, Article 3) which should end up costing you pretty much the same price to have purchased it here. Kellyco (for example) will not ship to Australia any more as per their agreement with the manufacturer. You may find that Arizona Outback is also under the same agreement not to ship to countries where dealers already exist.

Since we're NOT permitted to ship Lithium batteries via standard air mail, you'll need to use an international courier. Most couriers handle your item well because they don't want to pay out on the insurance. But you'll be forced to use whatever carrier the seller insists on using because he'll have a deal lined up with the cheapest options available. If you have a $6.6K item shipped from overseas, the odds of it being dropped a half dozen times are pretty high. Even Australia Post recommend padding any box so it can be dropped from shoulder height to a hard surface in order to survive a trip.

Personally, I will occasionally buy an expensive item from overseas although I tend to sweat if when it costs more than a few thousand dollars (usually a rare antique etc). But I will only buy overseas when I can't get the same item here. One reason is that I don't want to risk fakes from China etc, and another reason is because I want to be able to speak to someone in person if I have a problem with the item.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:51 pm

Thanks Brett,
Will take that info onboard. I did actually email minelab asking why there was such a price difference between the US and Aus considering the dollar for dollar ratio and go quite a negative and somewhat rude reply so wont be contacting them again anytime soon.
I do like the idea of having a mate bring one back for me as the chargers will work fine with an adaptor.
Just think it is time for us here in Aus to get a fairer and better deal from ML.

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Brookesy
When it's all said and done it's only about 4 1/2 oz's of the yellow stuff to buy a new 5000, so the quicker you get it the better I'd reckon Very Happy . Someone's just gotta snag that 5 ouncer before you get there and you're shot. And there's no grief buying it here.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:19 pm

Brett.......
What can I say.
You could'nt be more right when you put it like that.
Am off at the end of April for a week so will pick one up soon so that I can get used to it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Razgo Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:10 pm

the best deal i could find when i purchased my 5000 was $6,300. eveyone else wanted $6,500.

Razgo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2010-11-04

http://www.medicalpricewatch.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:27 pm

The recommended price from Minelab in Australia is currently AUD $6,595 as part of their 2011 Summer Special promotion. I'd be a little suspicious of anyone selling for too much less, especially if they don't have the sand to publicly display such a price.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:44 pm

Razgo, where was that price from?
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Razgo Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:55 pm

from this mob here http://www.theopenrange.com.au/

They are also now suppliers for the Brisbane metal detecting club as i found out the other day. they are primarily a gun shop but are now into the metal detecting range. I bought a set of garret pans from them as well.

rus

Razgo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2010-11-04

http://www.medicalpricewatch.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:30 pm

I bought a new GPX5000 recently from an established dealer and I had no previous affiliations with them apart from buying some detecting gear.... all I can say is go in personally and talk your best deal to your local dealer...I got <thrown into my deal> brand new canvas cover..a $90 Walco pick, further discount on the already cheap 12 x 15 Commander Mono coil which they had at $245..and half day free one on one demonstration in the local goldfield..and yes we did find some small gold... and arranged for me to join the Adventure Club which now gives me another full day free training..and I did not pay the amounts you are quoting for the GPX5000...you will never know unless you go in and talk your best deal with your local dealer......they are hardly about to ADVERTISE my deal <which is why I have not said who they are and wont> but dealers want to make the deal without you leaving.<ringing around will never deliver your best deal, how do they know your'e not another dealer..go in personally>..I couldnt be happier and what would I have if I bought from US and you wont save anything...I bought a $3500 Vaio computer from US..then had to pay GST...then had to pay a clearance house for the priviledge for me to go in and pick up personally from Customs....could have bought it cheaper locally after you pay the add on costs...never again..deal locally..and get local service...if my GPX5000 has a problem the local dealer will handle it...
so where's the downside to dealing with your local dealer I fail to see your point...there is no plus to buying outside Australia...how lucky are we they are Australian...you dont have to worry when the dealer bought and what the exchange rate happened to be when he did his deal...its all done in AU.....Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:29 pm

mulgadansa wrote:Razgo, where was that price from?
cheers
Brett

wimmera outdoors in horsham may do a 5000 for $6300 if you ask nicely
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:59 pm

cheers FJ
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:46 pm

Larry303,
The point that was trying to be made was not of the benefits of importing a GPX5000 from the US, over buying one from a local dealer here in Australia.

The point was "If the US dollar is basically one for one against the Aus Dollar (which it has been for quite some time now) then why are we paying over $1K more for the same machine, especially seeing they are made here.

Then you have to take into account the shipping costs from Australia to the US (much more expensive than ML shipping them interstate).
Yes, the US does have to pay import taxes on every unit imported from Australia.
Then there is the US government tax (not as much as we have to pay here though, but there is no surprises there) Smile

Then for the dealer to also be giving away many many hundreds of dollars worth of sweeteners to their potential customers, it all seems to add up to a very sweet deal.

Just what is the cost price for the 5000 unit here. I hear it is around $4700

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:03 pm

brookesy888 wrote:Larry303,
The point that was trying to be made was not of the benefits of importing a GPX5000 from the US, over buying one from a local dealer here in Australia.

The point was "If the US dollar is basically one for one against the Aus Dollar (which it has been for quite some time now) then why are we paying over $1K more for the same machine, especially seeing they are made here.

Then you have to take into account the shipping costs from Australia to the US (much more expensive than ML shipping them interstate).
Yes, the US does have to pay import taxes on every unit imported from Australia.
Then there is the US government tax (not as much as we have to pay here though, but there is no surprises there) Smile

Then for the dealer to also be giving away many many hundreds of dollars worth of sweeteners to their potential customers, it all seems to add up to a very sweet deal.

hi
i think it's been said before that the price's quoted in the us is before sales taxe's
unlike ours that are the total payable price
could be wrong????

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:16 pm

Yes Fencejumper, very true,
The US sales tax rates vary from state to state. They range from 4% to 8%, pretty sure California is the most expensive.

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:17 pm

US sales tax ranges up to 12% depending on the state.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:31 am

The dealers in Aust make little profit so the problem doesn't lie there.
I think the Australian dealers are getting a raw deal which flows on down the line to us, if they can sell to the US and the dealers over there can then on sell with all those extras too and still keep the cost well below 6K it's obvious they are buying at a much lower price.
What happened to looking after your own and especially the people who first supported the product, do the US sell their products cheaper OS than they do at home, I don't think so,
The last unit I bought was second hand and from the US , the only time I want to bend over is to dig gold nuggets
Mark

MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:26 am

Thought I might mention this:
Just reconditioning a motor and needed a variety of parts,ordered from the US at a quarter of the price including delivery at an exchange rate of 0.97.Also bought an oil pump from another supplier $104 delivered,I was quoted over $300 here if they could get it.Speedy delivery with tracking numbers.Service was A1.
Oh and 2 sony lithium watch batteries in woolies $7.50,$1.90 delivered from overseas.Funny thing is delivery is often quicker as well.I think online shopping is highlighting a serious markup somewhere.
If the differences were reasonable I would certainly buy locally but Im not throwing hard earned money away either.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:39 am

Ms - Yep, think you hit the nail on the head with your comment that "the US dealers are obviously buying the units in at a lower price than their Aus counterparts". Maybe that is why certain dealers here in Aus refuse to sign ML 20 page dealersiip contract. They wouldnt get away with that in the US as there is a much fairer trading policy there. The ACCC here in Aus has a hell of alot to account for, they weild all this power but do absolutely nothing.

Kingfisher - I agree. I bring lots of stuff from averseas. Of course I would much rather see my hard earned dollar going back into the Aus economy to Aus businesses but not at when I have to pay 3 to 4 times the price. The differences are quite astounding, phone battery (genuine), $85 here $10 UK , Books and software are usually half the price overseas. Yes, ML should be looking after their own people in this country as they would not be where they are now without the continued support of the people here.

I realise there are alot of taxes here in Aus but sorry people, they are not twice that of say the UK. GST here is 10%, sales tax in the US is now AVERAGING 8.5%, VAT in the UK is 17.5%. Do the maths.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:46 pm

Minelab supply overseas and no GST has been paid.....when you buy from the U.S. because no GST has been paid when you purchase from US you will pay full GST here on arrival <because the item is in excess of AU$1000> PLUS the Clearing House fee to allow you to pick up from Customs plus your cost to pay for the item.......now lets be precise how much difference in Dollars exactly are we talking on your LANDED cost, and the deal you can obtain by personally going into the Australian dealer...bugger all in my opinion.....the question is not how much the US dealer gets it for as the buyers there have to pay their State tax <our GST equivalent tax> the question is how much can you get it landed here for to make it worth your while...and take exchange risk...how you going to pay for it...Pay by Paypal and you will take a dive on what you can purchase US dollars for..dont think for a moment its at the Exchange rate you see daily...<I buy heaps from the US and know, and the stuff I buy is simply not available here>....if you go into your Bank to arrange transfer be sitting down when they tell you the costs <I'm also an ex Bank Manager>....anyone considering buying one from overseas is deluding themselves on their perceived savings....do we keep going around the mulberry bush talking about what Minelab might supply a US dealer for because its irrelavent to the exercise........

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:28 pm

Larry...you forgot to say Hoo Roo!!!

A bl**dy bank johnny! And I thought you were a good bloke Razz Razz Razz

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:10 pm

Robert...and your comment is....?....I got out of the Bank because I actually cared about people....and actually tried to give them what they needed and not what gave the bloody miserable Bank the most profit. Twisted Evil ...if the Ladies had little Principle I did give them plenty of interest however. I love you ...I came into money a few times but thats another story for another time Razz
I'm actually a two time loser mate...I'm a Registered Real Estate Agent as well..my motto was....your friend IN DEED alien .......can you find it within yourself to forgive me Question Embarassed Now I'm making an honest living for the first time in my life..not finding gold but enjoying my own company out in the One Eye Forrest immensely. clown .. and looking forward to getting a few tips at Talbot this Sunday at the Minelab 5000 training day... Smile
now what your the question again bounce ..oh &...Hoo Roo

P.S....I know one place you cant follow me...I can hop on my QED and go and join Duggy Dog Dung's forum where I'm sure someone with my credentials would be welcomed... pig

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:16 pm

On a related note: There's a LARGE batch of fake GPX-5000s surfacing this week from what appears to be a source from either China or Indonesia. Seller's agents are selling them separately and also in 'discounted' bulk (10+) per order for an exceptionally low price to unscrupulous persons and ignorant buyers around the world who are then on-selling them closer to full retail in Australia. They falsely claim to be from the manufacturing plant (falsely because the GPX is actually made right here in Australia) and are offering the machines with false warranty certificates etc. These machines are being sold WAY below cost which is why people are being suckered in. I've spoken to two people today who have been offered these detectors and a gentleman I know has been approached by one of the sellers already during the week. Minelab have been notified as of today. I'm told the fakes look identical to the real thing and some people (who should know better) actually believed these were legitimate detectors. They operate when turned on but most likely contain the VLF electrical innards of the same fake 4500s we saw floating about last year. They also come with two fake coils.

Do your homework if someone is offering an item considerably BELOW RRP when in fact this particular detector is still flying off the shelves at normal retail price (ML summer special included). Some Australian stores can't even keep them in stock as they keep selling out every few days. If someone is offering discounts, ask yourself why. Be sure to buy from a certified ML dealer regardless of what and where you buy from and regardless of the price you pay.

You have been warned.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Are we being ripped off here in Australia. Check this out Empty This will be a laugh once again LOL

Post  24kt Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:49 pm

brookesy888 wrote:Larry303,

PMSFL brookesy888 , some people just don't get the point , your wasting your time on the topic as there are to many minelab users and so called testers and story writers that perform minelab testing and their views will totally be biased to what ever you remarks and opinion is on the topic " why are minelab GPX and other range of detectors much cheaper in the USA ?"

brookesy888 you will just be beating your head up against a brick wall LOL.

It is no different when GMH ( Holden Australia was exporting the V8 Holden's and debagged ( GM ) Chevy USA same car at a cheaper rate than what we Australians could buy here. Go figure out the GEM3 motor was actually brought in from the USA and then again shipped out in a Holden commodore to the USA public.

As far as minelab GPX range of detectors YES we are getting the raw end of the deal paying a greater price for the same produced which is not 100% Australian made LOL

As far as prices here in Australia seems all the dealers are in cahoots with each other trying to market the GPX for the full recommended retail prices LOL possibly via Minelabs headquarters CEO's instruction on what to sell the units for , I call this a monopoly LOL.

This will be a laugh once again LOL

cheers

24kt
24kt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next