Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Compass check

+2
Bandito
Goldbait
6 posters

Go down

Compass check Empty Compass check

Post  Guest Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:52 pm

I see some folk in parts of America are having trouble with their compasses. North is pointing East.

I got mine out and the polarity must have reversed on it as South is now North.

Has anyone got time to have a check with their compass?

Panther
Compass check 3D_compass1

Last edited by Panther on Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Compass check Empty Re: Compass check

Post  Goldbait Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:19 pm

I saw something on tv about a year ago... Discovery channel i think.

There are pockets all over the earth where the polarity of the earths magnetic field isn't how it should be.

Apparently it's just the the start of the change before the poles reverse in the next few thoussand years
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Bandito Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:23 pm

Might be something to do with the "super moon".....as their calling it.

Closest it's been for years. Large high tides here at Wollongong last night.
Bandito
Bandito
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2009-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:25 pm

I'll do a further check tomorrow against the 2 GPS units I have. (If the rain stops)

Panther

Back to top Go down

Compass check Empty RE: Compass check

Post  sandy2010 Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:32 pm

Hi panther,
Just did a check as requested.......all is normal over here in the West.
Did you check yours outside the house ?.....................also, has the turntable been accidently turned around 180 degrees ?

Cheers.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:46 pm

Hiya Sandy Yes, I ran out in the rain... lol But it reads the same in the house. This is the same compass I used to rely on when I was prospecting in WA before GPS came about so I know it very well.

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:20 pm

hi panther
i`m here in vic and both of my compasses are pointing in the right direction.
cheers
dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:31 pm

Thanks all, Starting to wonder now. I had 2 extremely powerful earth magnets about 18" away where I had it stored. Maybe they have influenced it long enough to reverse polarity. Suspect

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:46 pm

Panther,
Am assuming your compass was working correctly beforehand and you haven't just purchased it?
http://homepage.eircom.net/~orienteering/what/compass.html
Quote:
An interesting detail is that there are northern-hemisphere and southern-hemisphere compasses. This is due to the fact that the magnetic field lines to which a compass needle aligns point into the earth at the north and south magnetic poles. This means that in the northern hemisphere, the north end of the needle is pulled downwards and so the south end is counter-weighted to balance the needle. Therefore, when you use a northern hemisphere compass in, say Australia, the south end of the magnet is pulled downwards by the magnetic field and is also heavier than the north end.

Cheers
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:36 am

Yes Nightjar, in my third thread I mentioned that I have owned this compass since before the GPS' were released. I would have been lost many times without it.

Panther

Compass check Compass

I see in that article that it is not uncommon for the magnetism of the needle to reverse! I guess this is what has happened to mine. Ah well. Into the bin it goes.
P.

Last edited by Panther on Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:09 am

Night Jar,

64 years old and I just learned something I never thought about!

Well Done!!

Last edited by KAEOJ on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:20 am

Panther, very interesting indeed. However, my compass is spot on here in western vic. But when i read you stored your magnets within the vicinity of your compass, well thats when i began to think you killed your trusty old compass.... sounds like you demagnetised it Sad
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:22 am

Geez

There goes my excuse for goin to the pub for a quick pint when i'm
only sposed to be going getting milk n bread for the missus Razz
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:29 am

Good one beepinpete. lol Getting lost going to the pub with a compass? ha ha

HOward That link to the article Nigtjar put up says it is not uncommon for the needle to reverse magnetism. Very strange but at least I now know what the heck is going on.

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:19 pm

yeah all interesting Smile cheers Panther Smile
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:16 pm

I hope the americans were not using the compasses near their big steel jeeps or SUV,s.

to get a true compass reading u should be as far away as possible from any steel etc re interference.

Also I think magnetic north is now moving at the rate of about 1.2degrees a year from true north bearings.

When i was up the pilbara and kimberley areas the compass just spun around and around on many ocassions.

I must of been sitting on some big iron ore deposits of high grade!!!!!! ie 50 to 62% FE etc

Back to top Go down

Compass check Empty Mystery solved. A lesson learned

Post  Guest Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:45 pm

Well folks, I conducted a test. My compass vs Earth magnets. Guess who lost. The compass is seriously affected 2 feet away from the magnets and spins around toward the magnets.
As I said, these items were stored too close to each other and I had never given it a thought. This has repolarized my compass to the point it must now be thrown in the bin. (hurts)
As a lot of us use Earth Magnets on our picks or carry them in our pockets, it may be wise to keep your Compass well away from the area ie. not in your pocket. (or just use the GPS)

Panther
After note. I stroked my compass above the needle with a earth magnet and it has returned to the correct North /South azimuth.
Would you trust it in future?

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:53 pm

PANTHER noticed you are on line now, up for a chat? my compass just now reading correct

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:07 pm

panther, i had the same problem with my compass, while in the paddock, put it in my pouch with a magnet
that arvo i was heading in the wrong direction to get to the car on sundown, noticed the sun was in the wrong spot. sat on a rock, collected my wits and relied on the sun and a fence line that i knew would eventually get me to the car. got there just on dark, my mate in the car was pannicking and just aboaut to head home and get a search party.

threw that compass, my one and only, in the extras box for another three years. but then i read about stroking the north with the magnet, did it, came good again, i just checked it again today, reads good, so yes you can rely on it again, just keep it away from magnets ... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:20 pm

Don't throw the compass away.
You just need to get a magnet and 'brush' the north pointer with the correct polarity and then 'brush' the south pointer with the other end of the magnet. Remember to brush away from the centre of the compass to either point. This should repair it. You won't need to pull it apart as the magnetic field will easily reach inside the plastic housing.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Sorry I missed you kevlorraine.
Panther

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:58 pm

A compass in a vehicle has to be calibrated to overcome the surrounding steel however the instructions are quite simple to keep you on track.
Having said that most use the more reliable GPS in this day and age, the only time I use my trusty compass is to set up the satellite dish. Rolling Eyes

Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:45 pm

yes NIGHTJAR, i use the gps to get the direction and distance, but i then resort to the compass while travelling, that way i dont rely on the gps and it running out of battery power.
of course we all know to have a photo of the area in our heads with hills, creeks, roads, fences, NSEW figured out.
only screwed it up the once, panick was setting in (because the sun was going down) but thats when you have to sit down, figure it all out. dont want to get into that panic stage again. guaranteed to ruin a good day
...kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:46 am

have you guys ever thought that the North and South poles on a compass are actually in reverse? think about it Very Happy lol!

Back to top Go down