Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPX 5000 UNDER POWERLINES....

4 posters

Go down

GPX 5000 UNDER POWERLINES.... Empty GPX 5000 UNDER POWERLINES....

Post  Guest Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:11 pm

Hi guys,

I went out today and did some testing under powerlines with the 5000 and my new 8" commander coil. I had problems right from the start, the closest I could come to them was about 25m before I started getting interferance from them. Has anyone got some settings that they can share so that I can get right under them? The funny thing is that the 4500 that I had I could go right under them using a Coiltek 6" coil no problems, so what am I doing wrong here? The setting I used on the 5000 were
General,
Fine gold
Mono
Tracking
Quiet
RX Gain - 11 - 13
Motion - very slow
tracking - slow and the rest on Factory preset modes.
When away from the powerlines it works fine.
Thanks,
uncle bob

Back to top Go down

GPX 5000 UNDER POWERLINES.... Empty Re: GPX 5000 UNDER POWERLINES....

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:20 pm

G'day Bob, The only thing you are doing wrong is triing to detect under power lines Laughing

Any electrical source is going to cause problems, 8" coil is a bigger antenna than the 6".
I've tried detecting under or near power lines and it does not much more than make you pull your hair out.
I would try dropping your gain back a fair bit, other than that about all I would say is DD coil+cancel mode.

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:04 am

Hi Goldstalkergpx, I think I was comparing the 5000 to the 4500 and I think the 5000 is more sensitive. I guess I will have to resort to using the Cancel mode and a DD coil which is a shame considering the 4500 did it even with my NF 12" elliptical and the coiltek 6' coils. Thanks for your reply,
uncle bob

PS anyone with any other settings other than CANCEL MODE for under powerlines?
sunny

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin R Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:27 am

Bob

You could use a Nugger Finder XP coil set it into XP mode (turn the switch right) with Mono settings in the front end cap on your machine.

Marty

Martin R
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  hunty Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:28 pm

What about a salt or interference coil power lines don't affect them but can be difficult to pin point
hunty
hunty
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:23 am

Uncle Bob,

Jonathan Porter posted this info under the post heading "SEttings for the 5000" on this forum a couple of days ago. I'm sure he won't mind if I copy it here for you.

Robert
********************************************************************GPX 5000, 11" DD coil high interference area, high mineralisation, shallow gold ground settings.

Front end cap:
Tracking; Fixed
Coil/RX; Cancel
Soil/Timings; Special
Search Mode; General

Menu
(B&Z Booster Speaker use)
VOL Limit; 10
GB Type; General
Special; Fine Gold
MAN Tune; 90-128 (wherever it is quiet)
General
Motion; Slow
RX Gain; 11 to 18 (you can run a very high Gain because the detector is so stable, but use with caution as extra noise will mask gold)
Audio; Deep or Normal or if conditions allow Boost
Audio Tone; 63 (personal preference)
Stabilizer; 10 or even higher if conditions allow( higher numbers improve response to smaller targets)
Signal; 19 (higher numbers cause the response to be more identifiable)
Target Volume; 8
Response; Inverted (you need to invert the response as Cancel mode is out of phase)

Notes: I have used these settings in and around high voltage power lines with good success, the Cancel mode removes the interference, the Fine Gold timings remove the ground noise. Normally it is not recommended to use any of the "Smooth Class" of timings with a DD coil, however both Cancel and Mono mode convert a DD coil into a pseudo monoloop thereby increasing sensitivity and ground noise, so those timings can now be used effectively without loosing too much performance.

Cancel mode is not a deep seeking option, so it is best to target noisy areas that are generally shallow. In gold country this is usually around the schisty ridges where the power lines tend to run anyway. 0.05 gram pieces of gold are quite common when using this mode, being able to run ridiculous amounts of Gain really lifts the response, if the conditions allow you can also use the Boost audio filter instead of Normal or Deep mode. If Gain levels are run too high there will be a bit of feedback from brushing grass ect but generally it is a very quite detecting experience.

Hope this helps someone out there,

JP

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:14 pm

Hi Goldnomad, thanks for that. I will make sure I jot them down.
Cheers,
uncle bob. sunny

Back to top Go down

Post  Flakmagnet Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:39 am

Uncle Bob,
Will be interested in seeing how you do with JP's timings.

A friend has worked successfully under powerlines
using my 14" XP coil (with the switch to XP), on a 4500.

Best of luck,

Flak
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi Flak, thanks mate. I will have to find a new area to try under powerlines as I have been told not to come back to that private property as the lady saw that I got 3 tiny gold bits there.
Cheers,
uncle bob.

Back to top Go down