Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting out

5 posters

Go down

Starting out  Empty Starting out

Post  2doorpaul Mon May 25, 2015 11:03 am

Hi all my name is Paul and live in South east SA. While we have great wine over here, gold and prospecting are not on the menu.
I am looking to buy my first detector and while there is a lot of info out there it does get a bit confusing. As far as I can see PI. machines , at the top end , are stand alone but  expensive . My circumstances -  (1) I live 2.5 hours from the closest fields (Stawell) so I may do some coin / relic detecting inbetween gold detecting. (2) I  am new to it, so not to complicated a machine (3) Are VLF machines still in the picture these days  and if so any recommendations ,without starting the age old debate . With a budget $1000-$1500 I realise a top end machine is out of the question but I am keen to give it a go (new or good second hand)
Ps  I also fish , so I get the "DO YOU REALY NEED ANOTHER FISHING ROD " from the good lady so I hope to get a good allround machine instead of several  for different circumstances.(  more towards gold detecting).
Any feedback will be appreciated
Cheers Paul

2doorpaul
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-05-20

Back to top Go down

Starting out  Empty Re: Starting out

Post  sluice box Mon May 25, 2015 12:25 pm

Hi paul welcome to the forum

im not all that experienced myself in saying that I do believe that you would be better with a pi machine because it seems
as if your main focus would be gold you will still find coins and relics with a pi . there are a lot of good vlf machines that will still find gold
but some  or most  will struggle with the hot ground in areas You should be able to pick up a good second hand minelab sd 2000 2100 2200
or maybe a gp extreme with the money you have there are some good ones on gumtree and ebay at times and a lot of dealers have good second hand ones
with warranty

there will be more experienced people on the forum that will have a better idea than me
that's just my two bobs worth

cheers happy hunting

sluice box
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2015-03-27

Back to top Go down

Starting out  Empty Enjoying the read

Post  2doorpaul Tue May 26, 2015 2:56 pm

At the moment a Gold Bug Pro looks like a good option for a newcomer like me. Can anyone help me with best place to buy
although have seen good deal online(US) would like to purchase a package deal local.
Cheers

2doorpaul
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Tue May 26, 2015 3:32 pm

2doorpaul wrote:At the moment a Gold Bug Pro looks like a good option for a newcomer like me. Can anyone help me with best place to buy
although have seen good deal online(US) would like to purchase a package deal local.
Cheers
Hey Paul

Sluice box, summed it up pretty good, the best option IMHO for a newbie who wants to find "Gold" & around your budget is an SD2200d minelab PI detector, you WILL find "Gold" with it if you swing over a bit the right size to be picked up.

I have one of these & I also have a "Gold Bug Pro" & an SDC2300, the Bug will frustrate you no end!!! but it will find Gold but they don't get the depth of a PI have a look at post's by this member & what he uses!!! https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t21626-first-2-for-may

They are a good unit & will serve you well at a good price & become a good back up unit when you upgrade.
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  mfdes Tue May 26, 2015 4:35 pm

Having gone the route of first buying a new VLF myself, in the exact same situation you describe, I'd also recommend buying a secondhand SD series.
I now use the VLF only for coins and relics.
mfdes
mfdes
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2013-04-29

http://www.appleisleprospector.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Tue May 26, 2015 5:30 pm

Q33 For what its worth I agree with the gentlemen above, I have come to know the sound of a happy SD2200d minelab PI detector.... Boing! Boing! bounce  some can be heard from miles Rolling Eyes its still as capable a machine as they ever were.

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  2doorpaul Wed May 27, 2015 9:57 am

Thanks everyone for the advice , I think I will go with the  SD 2200, just wondering what they are like on coins etc.
cheers

2doorpaul
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Wed May 27, 2015 10:59 am

2doorpaul wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice , I think I will go with the  SD 2200, just wondering what they are like on coins etc.
cheers

It is a metal detector so it will find coins, the only issue you have is EMI around towns, far better to get yourself a cheap VLF for coins, there really isn't a one fits all "Gold/Coin" detector that will excel at Gold.
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  mfdes Wed May 27, 2015 4:09 pm

For coins, a dedicated VLF with good discrimination will work much better.
I hear the Whites PI machines have pretty good discrimination when set up correctly. I saw a video of someone who had set up one to look for coins, I think it was a TDI.
mfdes
mfdes
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2013-04-29

http://www.appleisleprospector.com/

Back to top Go down