Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting Off in Vic

4 posters

Go down

Starting Off in Vic Empty Starting Off in Vic

Post  Greenwell2 Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:53 am

Howdy Gents and Ladies am new to the site and to metal detecting of any sort. I did do some panning many years ago on the west coast of tassie so at least I know what gold looks like.

We are staying at Daylesford for a four days mid December and need to be able to hire some gear or do a guiided tour if it isnt to dear. I have tried to contact E.E. Day and son in Ballarat but 2 phone calls and and email all unanswered means I am now looking elsewhere. As to detecting am not to fussed if it is gold or relics just want to get my hands on a detector and give it a go. Any Info would be appreciated thanks.

Have read a bit and dont hope to find the welcome strangers long lost brother until my second outing but would like to get some idea of what is involved. Thanks in advance
Greenwell2
Greenwell2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-11-25

Back to top Go down

Starting Off in Vic Empty Re: Starting Off in Vic

Post  Guest Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:07 am

mate Coiltek in Maryborough hire out gear.
buy the John Tully maryborough book for about 21 bucks,go to any of the diggings in the book and you are in with a shot of getting a bit of colour
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Greenwell2 Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:49 am

Thanks for that. Will have a look at it.
Greenwell2
Greenwell2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  bedrock Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:50 am

Hi Greenwell
yes Coiltek Maryborough would be your best bet to hire a detector
As for detecting if you decide to come back to Daylesford, rather
than try the Maryborough area, give me a pm, might be able to
show you a few spots to try.
cheers
bedrock
bedrock
bedrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Greenwell2 Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks for the offer Bedrock - since posting this I have had a clear run at the computer and found some info on areas around Daylesford. I will be landing off the Spirit of Tasmania early am of the Tuesday 13th December and will set up tent and tour around a bit on the first day, then intend to spend the next couple of days preferably with a metal detector but if not then a pan will do. I would certainly like a someone to show me the ropes to fastrack the learning curve. If i find a bit I might even be able to convince a certain person that I deserve a detector Very Happy. My plans are just general ones at the moment as I dont even own a pan anymore but intend to fix that by the time I get there.
Cheers
Greenwell2
Greenwell2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:14 pm

Hi Greenwell2 if you are planing to hire out a dector, I suggest you book one well in avance as some times they are hard to get at short notice specially around the Triangle area. Week day's may be OK, but weekend is a different matter. With the price of gold these day's very Tom, Dick and Harry are out looking. Also Coiltec Maryborough have day lessons on detecting and take you out, I think it is about $90-$100 for the day. Contact them if you are interested. 03-54604700. They hire detectors as well.
Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Universal1 Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:23 pm

phoenix wrote:mate Coiltek in Maryborough hire out gear.
buy the John Tully maryborough book for about 21 bucks,go to any of the diggings in the book and you are in with a shot of getting a bit of colour
cheers dave

Good advice, they're good guys up at Coiltek and I'm sure they'll look after you.
Universal1
Universal1
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:48 pm

Last edited by fencejumper on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)

Back to top Go down

Post  Greenwell2 Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:11 pm

Thanks guys have looked at Coiltek site and will contact in the next couple of days.
Greenwell2
Greenwell2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Deez Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:50 pm

Gday. My opinion is i would contact Tony or Brett at Gold Search Dunolly. They are cheap on the hire and very good at helping you out. Cheers.

Deez
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-10-18

Back to top Go down