Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommend Place for beginner to start detecting in VIC

4 posters

Go down

Recommend Place for beginner to start detecting in VIC Empty Recommend Place for beginner to start detecting in VIC

Post  neo__04 Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:13 am

Hey all,

Hoping to get some advice on where to start my adventures detecting.
Anywhere in the golden triange is fine, Maryborough, Dunolly, Havelock, Wedderburn, ballarat etc... are all within a few hours drive.
I know the answer im going to get will already be "there is gold in all those places" lol,
but hopefully someone can recommend me a good place for some amateur detecting.

I guess im meaning places with terrain thats not too difficult, and not badly mineralised soin, so I have a good chance
to learn the detector and how it sounds on a good day. Also maybe an area for detecting & panning as well.

More than happy to except good directions, and even GPS locations if someone is feeling very helpful Smile

Thanks heaps in advance

neo__04
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-06-23

Back to top Go down

Recommend Place for beginner to start detecting in VIC Empty Re: Recommend Place for beginner to start detecting in VIC

Post  Kon61gold Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:17 pm

Hi Neo

What you lack is confidence and you can only learn that by association with other like minded people and knowing your detector. It doesn't matter what we say in what is the best area, for you already know the answer to that.

I suggess you try out a Detecting Club for most go out once a month and there will be others out there to assist you. It wont cost you anything to go out for the day or weekend and you will get good advice. There is a listing of Detecting Clubs on the main Index

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4505
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Recommend Place for beginner to start detecting in VIC Empty Re: Recommend Place for beginner to start detecting in VIC

Post  Detrackozi Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:42 pm

Hi Neo

Jeff has given you the best info and it will be up to you.

The time you spend in the Bush will be your adventure and the more hours you spend with your Detector is the best way to learn from it by searching all type of ground

"there is gold in all those places" lol,

No need to "lol" because there is gold in all of those placers and I will be at most of them for the next two weeks and If I did think there was no gold to be found at any of them I would'nt go I would go west or north people should not think that I must find a bit of gold first time out just enjoy your trip out and take your time and the gold will show it's self.

Make Maryborough your first stop and call in here
Datum GDA94
Z54 East- 744758.5 North-5899339.9

Lat 37 1.2158 Long 143 45.0763
it's were you will get all the maps you like to find a spot to search.

Good Luck
David
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Recommend Place for beginner to start detecting in VIC Empty where to start?

Post  onebob Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:22 am

Hi Neo,

I've had my detector 9 months and go out about once a month and what i've come to realize is you gradually build up a 'feel' for the ground, start to notice the geology, the soil composition, and the lie of the land, and i find this accumulated experience now directs my meandering on the field ....and i know my first gold find is just around the corner. Also I'm finding more bullets and musket balls because i'm more 'tuned' into my machine. Remember, the definition of luck is "where preparation meets opportunity". I spend a minimum of 6 hours out in the bush and always return with something (although no gold yet) - quite a different story to my fishing exploits Laughing

Try Waanyarra, park at the reserve and wander off into the bush - my mate got 8 pieces there last week, and a 31 gram nugget 12 months ago.

onebob

onebob
onebob
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down