Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where do I start detecting for gold around Charters Towers?

+2
jayvee
lynmel96
6 posters

Go down

Where do I start detecting for gold around Charters Towers? Empty Where do I start detecting for gold around Charters Towers?

Post  lynmel96 Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:40 am

I am very new to this detecting for gold and have a minelab x-terra. Would love to find some gold in the Charter Towers area. Does anyone know where I can try my luck?

Thanks.

lynmel96

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-06-04

Back to top Go down

Where do I start detecting for gold around Charters Towers? Empty Re: Where do I start detecting for gold around Charters Towers?

Post  jayvee Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:25 pm

deleted

Last edited by jayvee on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : bad taste)
jayvee
jayvee
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Back to top Go down

Where do I start detecting for gold around Charters Towers? Empty Re: Where do I start detecting for gold around Charters Towers?

Post  rc62burke Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:33 pm

jayvee wrote:Best advice,forget it ,closed community to fossickers.
Hi All
Jayvee nice bit of negativity to get the newbie off on the right track.
It's not easy to get places to detect but it is not impossible, I would suggest you do some research as to an area you may want to concentrate your efforts on & go for a drive to meet the owners first, If you have some sort of a trade or skill you can offer to give them a hand, best of luck, the area you may struggle in is your choice of detector, go and have a chat to Peter Cragg at Gold City Detecting ( don't fall into the newbie syndrome & ask him where to go ) ask him how to work the area with your detector, hope this helps a little, maybe research for the old townsite's in the area ( there is a clue here )
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  jayvee Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:51 am

[

Last edited by jayvee on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : withdrawn)
jayvee
jayvee
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:03 am

Hiya. My approach is research, and plenty of door knocking. 50% of people will let you on their property. 40% are nice but still say no, 5 % arent home, and 1% is a psycho who will be abusive just for asking..
The percentages go up if i have my daughter with me. as it looks like i am more trustworthy, and just being a good dad.
If you turn up with 4 guys drinking beer, you have no chance...
I use honesty, tell them i have driven a long way and really just want to have a pan of get to know or try my detector.
And find my first little fleck of gold so i can say i have found gold in my life.
I tell them i wont cut fences, destroy crops, and always fill in my holes to stop erosion and stop live stock from breaking legs etc.
This approach has got me in 3 months more property than i could possibly cover in 10 lifetimes.
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  shelby23 Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi
I Lived at Charters Towers for 1 year and could think of heaps of good places to detect there.
A 5ounce nugget was found near where I lived,,while I lived there I wished I had found it.
I would love to get up there,, as now I have a detector GPS4500.
I know the property owners so that helps.
I think I should plan a trip up there,,, great memories for me there.
I know some good treasure spots too for coins.
Regards Neale

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:46 pm

like others have already said. contact land owners. don't be in a hurry though to get their permission. so far i've only got access to one property which took 3 months to gain access too.. and the help of a certain member on this site. you know who you are Smile.

most land owners really appreciate honesty. if you get a 'no'. don't be too disheartened. when u get one 'yes', then hopefully you can use them as a reference for other land owners.

however. most land owners in charters towers do let people on. BUT, they have probably only said yes to 1 or 2 people and thats all they will allow on their property.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down