Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Charters Towers , Queensland

+4
robtuska
gray.nomad
Greg
rc62burke
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

South Charters Towers , Queensland Empty South Charters Towers , Queensland

Post  rc62burke Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:40 am

Hi All
A quick question has anyone here detected in the area from south Charters Towers to Greenvale area North Queensland. I have access to a number of properties & unsure if nuggets have been found on these any thoughts would be great ( if you are in the area I would be keen on a trip). I have possibly one prop south of Ravenswood, no historic diggings that I know of.
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

South Charters Towers , Queensland Empty Re: South Charters Towers , Queensland

Post  Greg Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:20 pm

Rc62burke.
can you put your name under your post as it is hard to remember your user name. I also live in T'ville. if you can get to the library & borrow a book called gold & ghosts I think. it has a list of most places where gold has been found in Qld. I coppied a few pages that I have to look at. Ravenswood would be a good area as after the rain alot of dirt has been moved. I also hunt on alot of properties (with dogs) & I've always got my eye on the ground for the tell tale signs.
Cheers Greg.

Greg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post  gray.nomad Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi burkie,
Welcome to the exclusive club of prospectors.

Check those web sites, maybe helpful.
http://www.dme.qld.gov.au/zone_files/geoscience_pdf/north_qmg.pdf
http://www.treasureenterprises.com/Gold%20Prospecting%20Information/Gold_Occurrences_in_North_Qld.htm
Google gold finds in North Queensland.

Regards, Frank.
gray.nomad
gray.nomad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

South Charters Towers , Queensland Empty Research

Post  rc62burke Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi Greg
Sorry about the name thing, I have done alot of research, checked out the G&G at the library I take my digital camera with me & take a photo of the pages I want ( this book is not for loan) have also checked the DME -ITRM on the net
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

South Charters Towers , Queensland Empty Re : Have nuggets been found in my area

Post  rc62burke Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:06 pm

Greg wrote:Rc62burke.
can you put your name under your post as it is hard to remember your user name. I also live in T'ville. if you can get to the library & borrow a book called gold & ghosts I think. it has a list of most places where gold has been found in Qld. I coppied a few pages that I have to look at. Ravenswood would be a good area as after the rain alot of dirt has been moved. I also hunt on alot of properties (with dogs) & I've always got my eye on the ground for the tell tale signs.
Cheers Greg.

Hi Greg
Have you come across any diggings when hunting, I m interested in the ones out there that may not be recorded anywhere as Im sure there would be many, hope some of the places I can access have some, 1 place has excellent indicators water worn quartz & ironstone gravel, mining company has investigated. Another property has deserted town on it upto 1000 people inc Chinese in 1890 many diggings and shafts narrow leaders were mined not sure about nuggets ( owner said a couple had been found) Spent 2 days detecting with a mate 25 years exp, nothing
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:48 am

rc62burke
Lee, I sent you a PM.
Cheers Greg.

Greg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:24 pm

Lee,
Google in Townsville Metal Detector club, it lists the President, treasurer etc. etc. with their phone numbers.
Was up that area in 2007, rang the Pres. & he was very helpful with info. on various places.
Their website is a bit sad - looks like it has not been updated for years. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
O'sama (the Irish one)

Back to top Go down

South Charters Towers , Queensland Empty Re: Have nuggets been found in my area

Post  rc62burke Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:28 pm

Hi O'sama
Thanks for that, I joined the club last month a couple of interesting characters there, the club has a library of maps & books/mags for members to use & dvd's I will be checking these out I'll keep all informed on the interesting stuff. I have 3 geological maps of nearby goldfeilds showing historic mining areas, not much alluvial showing on these maps, Im guessing now but most reef's would have shed gold or at least been found by following a gold trail ( alluvial ). Anyone care to correct me or shed more light on this thanks.
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:22 pm

Lee.
Can you tell me what night the T'ille club meets? I went once last year but didn't get back there.
thanks Greg

Greg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

South Charters Towers , Queensland Empty Re : Have nuggets been found in my area.

Post  rc62burke Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi Greg
The meeting will be on tuesday th 10th @ 7.30 pm @ the old Thuringowa council complex in the Hodel room,
I will snd you a PM with my contact details.
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

South Charters Towers , Queensland Empty Re: Have nuggets been found in my area

Post  rc62burke Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:37 pm

Hi Greg
I gave out the wrong info about the meeting I have checked the newsletter, the next meeting is on the 10th march @ the pimlico high school on fulham road near the performing arts centre, I have sent you a PM with contact number.
cheers Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:31 pm

Lee, All.
Lee, I didn't get your pm. but I went to the meeting but they had an AGM as well & I had to start work early so I left at 9.45pm. The next meeting is at the council room that you said.
Cheers Greg.
PS. Seems to be a decent bunch of people but they are very old, so it is good to see them still active & they thanked me for looking at the club, so I think they want more members & they have some good trips planned this year.

Greg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

South Charters Towers , Queensland Empty tvlle club

Post  robtuska Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:17 pm

Hi, I bought gpx4000 last year and due to work commits. only been out once to Clermont. Didn't find anything myself but man did I see nuggets. Met wondrful people, Daphnie and Rob from Nsw who were as kind and friendly as mankind can get. They are an elderly couple who gave me, a young 40ish fella, the kind of advice and help you can only dream about. So, now I am hooked and looking at detecting closer to home around Townsville, Burdekin, to Greenvale area. What night and where does Tvlle club meet? Also anyone want to go stagger around out there with some company, get in contact! It's a beautiful country we live in and detecting is just part of the fun!

Rob Tvlle.

robtuska

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:49 pm

Rob.

The T'ville club meets at the hodel room at the old thuringowa council building. the second tues. of the month except jan. when there is no meeting.
Greg

Greg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  sheeds Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Just to liven up a new thread, I have moved back to townsville and wouldnt mind heading out to charters/clermont... well anywhere, due to working fly in fly our roster for work. if anyone is heading out, can you let me know the dates. I am self sufficient but wouldnt mind tips and someone to have a beer or 2 with after a day in the sun.

Dale

sheeds
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Driver Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:57 pm

Dale

I'm planning on heading up Clermont way in April, not quite sure of the exact date yet but probably around the 11th. I'm also a FIFO and have 6 weeks off. Might be able to catch up for a beer. PM me if you like.

Stuart
Driver
Driver
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post  sheeds Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:13 pm

Driver wrote:Dale

I'm planning on heading up Clermont way in April, not quite sure of the exact date yet but probably around the 11th. I'm also a FIFO and have 6 weeks off. Might be able to catch up for a beer. PM me if you like.

Stuart

Stuart,

I am working that week but I get off on the 19th april, do you think you will still be up there then?

sheeds
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

South Charters Towers , Queensland Empty Gilberton Station

Post  flyboymickey Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:46 pm

Hi Dale,
My mate Leigh and I are planning a trip up to Gilberton station again in early June for 4 days, if you are interested. We are coming up from the Gold Coast to Townsville. You are welcome to join us. We were thinking about hiring a 4WD to take us there. Is there anyone you know in Townsville that could hire out a cheap 4WD?

Cheers
Mick

Last edited by flyboymickey on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

flyboymickey
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi Mick
I see tour planning a trip to Gilberton, are you flying into Townsville? will you have camping gear with you? how long are you planning on being out there? are you aware that there are no facilities there? I have no tbeen to Gilberton, but members of our club have been & do find gold. What detector do you use? as you can see by these ??? we need a little more info from you about your plans so that we may assist you, I/we will try to give you as much help as we can.
I will check the club calender to see what we have planned for that time as it may be a better option for you to come on the club trip with guy's who have experience up here, club membership is about $30 .
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  sheeds Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Hey guys,
I will be available from the 31st may till about the 5-6th. Just got back from clermont last week, and spent a day with andrew from clermont detectors. was a great day, no gold but learnt alot!

sheeds
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  flyboymickey Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi Dale.
We will be starting trip on the 6th till the 9th.. Was worth a shot.

Hi Lee.
Thanks for info. We will be coming into Townsville. We were at Gilberton late last year with success. We know all the ins and outs. We have camping gear with us as well as the stuff we left behind with the property owners. We are experienced and have 4500's. My original question was the hiring of a cheap 4wd. Do you have any info on where I could hire one please?
Another option would be to share fuel costs if any other person is interested in coming along.

Cheers
Mick

flyboymickey
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  sheeds Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Can you give me a lead on the property owner, I would love to go to a property thats,not public access, im happy to pay

sheeds
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Hey Dale
Gilberton is a public access property pay to detect property.
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  sheeds Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:15 pm

Sweet as

sheeds
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  flyboymickey Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:04 pm

Dale, you still need permission to detect there though. Smile

flyboymickey
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  sheeds Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Ill throw it out there, im gonna head out next minth from townsville, where would you guys go in north qld if you were after large nuggets. I can go anywhere,

sheeds
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi Dale
What detector are you using what coil's do you have, how much time have you got off?
If you have the club newsletter my number is on it if you want give me a call tomorrow & we can have a chat.
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  sheeds Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:20 pm

I have an exterra still, going to bali next week so wont get a gp/gpx for another couple weeks. I dont mind hiring one for a few days, either off a member or from a shop. I have the newsletter, I will give you a call tomorrow Smile

sheeds
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi Dale
There have been good nuggets found at Gilberton, Flat Creek, Mt Talbot, Long Gully these places are all pay to detect, the reason I asked how long you intend on going for is due to travel distance, it takes time to get your bearings on new ground, It is far better to cover some ground & try to find an average size nugget first rather than get fixated on large nugs as they are few & far between there are guys in the club that have 25 years plus who have never found anything over 10g in 1 nug, but they are there.
best of luck, I am trying to get organised to get out next month so if you have some dates let me know so I can check my roster
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi Dale
Just another thought, do you have any panning gear? I carry a small gold pan in my pack so I can sample the gullies, this can be valuable to help you know that you are in an area that has gold shedding from it saves walking potentially barren ground, it will also brighten your day if you get some colour, I know I am sattisfied with a few specks if you learn to read what the gold in the pan is telling you it can put you into the right area to get a few nuggs.
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next