Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beginner Gold Panning - Good places to start

+3
StLeon
GoldstalkerGPX
neo__04
7 posters

Go down

Beginner Gold Panning - Good places to start Empty Beginner Gold Panning - Good places to start

Post  neo__04 Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:49 am

Hey all,

Chasing some advice on where some good areas are for panning?

Havent done much in the past but interested in finding out some areas so that I can use the pan and the old man can use the detector, any suggestions? Based in warrnambool, so Maryborough, Cape clear, ballarat, anywhere around there would be fine for a day trip.

Thanks in advance

neo__04
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-06-23

Back to top Go down

Beginner Gold Panning - Good places to start Empty Re: Beginner Gold Panning - Good places to start

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:21 pm

G'day Neo, Any of the above places you mentioned would be good for panning in the creeks. If you are asking people for exact locations you may be better off asking them for thier pin numbers. Laughing

If you do some research online you will find the area's around the towns (most of the old gold towns are on the original fields) that produced gold, then walking and test panning the area's is how you will find a good place for you to pan.
Good luck, Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Beginner Gold Panning - Good places to start Empty Re: Beginner Gold Panning - Good places to start

Post  neo__04 Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:44 am

Hey,

Thanks for the reply,
Obviously not chasing gps coordinates to spots, but
Chasing spots with water, eg drove through cape clear the other day, couldn't see any water. General advice Like certain town has creek here... When rainy etc. Any help is much appreciated Smile

neo__04
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post  StLeon Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:31 am

Hi Nero,

First time that I went for a pan was Slaty Creek in Creswick, in the Creswick Regional Park. Didn't find much gold, 3 tiny specs, I think its been well and truly panned out. However after the recent floods there may be some more up there now. It also has a great camping ground.

Good Luck.
StLeon
StLeon
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:02 pm

neo, i have some maps and co-ords if your interested Smile cheers
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  djpearson Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:54 pm

TheH0ward wrote:neo, i have some maps and co-ords if your interested Smile cheers

Hi, I would be keen on some tips for starting out in vic.

I recenty got my Garret deluxe starter kit, and thus far have just been panning Warrandyte river gravel in my backyard to work on my concentrating of fines & black sands.

Been doing alot of youtube research and saw your vids, bravo on the sluice, awesome job.

I have 4x4, will travel and camp at some stage; as soon as I fix my clutch anyways.

I'm still working on collecting various gear items such as waders & gumboots, classifying sieves, buckets, crevicing tools, shovel etc.

Any areas to explore &or creek campgrounds to visit would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel.

djpearson
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-04-01

Back to top Go down

Beginner Gold Panning - Good places to start Empty Geovic is good

Post  sam d Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:43 am

I often use Geovic, http://mapshare2.dse.vic.gov.au/MapShare2EXT/imf.jsp?site=geovic

Zoom into say Cape Clear
Click Layers>Minerals>Mines and Minerals etc
Click Deep leads
Click Operating Gold Mines (to see you arent on a gold mine's area)
Click Land Status?Crown land to see where you can (maybe) go
Click refresh map

I often click Topog>Watercourses for panning spots
Click Legend to see what is what
You can make a pdf and print it and take it with you
Beginner Gold Panning - Good places to start New_pi11

I am going to the PMAV meeting at Ballarat Old Colonists club at 6.30pm tonight (first Weds of the month) to try and find some people to pan with who know what they're doing. Hope I see some of you there...

Sam.

sam d
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldeneye Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:17 am

Hey Sam Geovic looks like a great tool to use do you know if there is something similar for south Australia ?

Goldeneye
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2013-02-01

Back to top Go down