Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NQ Noob....

2 posters

Go down

NQ Noob.... Empty NQ Noob....

Post  Wade1977 Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi all,

About to bite the bullet and purchase my first detector????

I've the cash for the GXZ 7000, but the ground I'll be covering is very hilly,steep and slippery!

So for ease of maneuverability and initial patch hunting I'm figuring the SDC2300 might be the safest option!

The ground is all granite boulders, quartz and deco...

I'm researching heaps but all and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Wade1977
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2015-03-07

Back to top Go down

NQ Noob.... Empty Re: NQ Noob....

Post  Guest Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:57 pm

Hi Wade1977 and welcome to the forum.

Buy the best one you can afford.

They are designed to work on all grounds and our conditions.

2300 is proven gold finder mostly on small gold and work in surfaced area and on diggings.Sure will find some nuggets in other area but its limited with depth other detectors can achieve.

You purchase depend how you will approach this hobby.Will this be once a month trip or you will be frequent visitor to gold fields?
Sure and how much money you have to sit in a garage collecting dust if you don't go-out a lot.

If you are not so keen on the newest model as it comes only in 14 inch coil at this stage, you can buy very cheaply now some gpx model.

I would go for at least 4000 up.

They are great tools and proven gold finders in all goldfields.

Well if you have any question just go for it and use search little window up in the right hand corner of this page to read any most of your interest.

GoldEN

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:39 pm

Wade
Welcome to the forum, where abouts are you from & what district will you be working???

Try not to choose a detector for a particular ground type!! rather look for something that will be versatile for a range of "Goldfields"

In saying that the SDC is a great unit I have one!!! but not that versatile & a small coil to do the searching with.
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Wade1977 Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:00 pm

Cheers!

I live in quite a remote/unique "ground" and its all the one type: Hilly, Granite boulders, lotsa quartz, rusty rocks and slippery deco, hence why I wanted something easy to use! This will most probably be the only area I work (extremely large area).....

The area is a known gold producing area "previously mined" but as I'm new to the game and because of the terrain I just wanted a 2300 due to price and ease of use. Great to put in a backpack and trek off into the hills....

I might get around and find nothing hence why I'm wanting to go cheap initially, but if something is found I would probably invest in a better detector and revisit and detect thoroughly.

I live basically "amongst" it and could get out multiple times a week, I'm a stay at home dad, so would even be daily if the results are there?

Very new to all this!

Wade1977
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:52 am

Go for gpx model at least:)
You can get them for a same price as 2300.
If you really want to play with small gold and have some very shallow area get 6 inch coil as well.

Good luck.

GoldEN

Back to top Go down

Post  Wade1977 Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:45 am

Bullet bitten!

I went with the SDC 2300.

I believe it suits my current situation well...

Time will tell...?

Wade1977
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:56 am

Wade
You wont be disappointed with the SDC capabilities in finding "Gold" can I ask where you got it & did they tell you about the shutdown issue's??

I would suggest you do a search for all the topics here as there was a lot of discussion about the SDC & there are a couple of things you need to consider before you get out in the bush with it IMHO.
Make sure you have a small roll of electrical insulation tape handy!!!! for the batteries, you'll see Very Happy

Good Luck
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Wade1977 Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:30 am

Charlie's Trousers....& no, but it was a very quick call.

I read about the loose battery terminal fit........I'm Electronics tradesman so should be able to sort out/fault-find any issues?

Ambidextrous too....so will probably try left handed for the speaker issue? But I plan on going very slow and meticulous..

Wade1977
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:38 am

Wade1977 wrote:Charlie's Trousers....& no, but it was a very quick call.

I read about the loose battery terminal fit........I'm Electronics tradesman so should be able to sort out/fault-find any issues?

Ambidextrous too....so will probably try left handed for the speaker issue? But I plan on going very slow and meticulous..

HMMMM
Surprising!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As far as the speaker goes, I would not rely on this speaker to enable you to pick up the really faint signals, IMHO it is crap, to far from your ears, to little volume, I believe you will miss "Gold" if you rely on this speaker!!!!!!!!!!1
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Wade1977 Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:50 am

Thanks for the advice.... Smile

Wade1977
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:16 pm

Good luck with your new toy.

Let us know how you going with it.

GoldEN

Back to top Go down

Post  Wade1977 Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:10 pm

NQ Noob.... Dscf7112

Well I now know it works!!! (on lead n' stuff anyway)

So I had it set to normal (#2).....threshold to maximum so I could hear a constant steady audible tone (no headphones) and boy does she go off when you go over one these badboys!!!!

Are my settings right? In comparison; what If I went over a 1g bit of gold at same depth (1-4inches)? Same sort of blasting beep....or is it much more fainter?

Didn't even try the headphones...will tomorrow....!

NQ Noob.... Dscf7113

Found 1 or 2 pieces quartz on the ground and then found it embedded in granite close by, but just a blob of it...not a big line or anything?

Have started to study up and am on the lookout for granite w/quartz reef! Think I even found some iron stone?

Stoked!

Wade1977
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:10 am

Welcome aboard Wade.

Granite is usually pretty ordinary for detecting mate, lots of gold in granite contacts but usually pretty fine. You should be able to run sensitivity at 5 no worries in granite country, try turning the threshhold down and sensitivity up Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:27 pm

Hi Wade,
You finding shot pallets and air rifle pallets so you going great.When you walk over piece of gold you will hear it.These 2 have almost identical sound as gold.
So keep up its jut matter of time and persistence.

2300 is very loud on targets so dig everything.

GoldEN

Back to top Go down

Post  Wade1977 Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:00 am

That's the comparison I was chasing!

These pellets and and shot have all been at around 1-2 inches and super, super loud?

I'll bury one down deeper and pack it in hard and see what it sounds like...

Cheers.

Wade1977
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:35 am

Welcome to the forum Wade1977

Sounds like you are having a ball with the sdc2300
Great machine hey?