Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I am a noob at this and would like some help pls

4 posters

Go down

I am a noob at this and would like some help pls  Empty I am a noob at this and would like some help pls

Post  Show Me The Gold Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:31 am

i would like if some one could tell me a bit about how to find gold such as good places to pan or maybe how to locate a vein or reef like the basics behind how to do as im constantly hearing people say they know where to pan or dectec or something based on what they see around them and the ground type at the moment i know nothing and i would to learn somehting about this
Show Me The Gold
Show Me The Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

I am a noob at this and would like some help pls  Empty Re: I am a noob at this and would like some help pls

Post  Digginerup Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:38 am

Hi Show me the gold, sounds like your after a magic pill,it doesnt exist, it takes time and effort to begin to understand gold and its habits,do some reading on how gold is formed and deposited and some basic geology and you will be on your way to understanding what people are talking about.
Regards
Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

I am a noob at this and would like some help pls  Empty Re: I am a noob at this and would like some help pls

Post  Show Me The Gold Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:43 am

i dont know about magic pill as such but some knowledge would be great haha guess what im really after is just some help getting started i was hoping maybe some of the guys who had been at this for years might drop a smidgin of what they know ima have a look at what you said mate
Show Me The Gold
Show Me The Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:11 am

Show Me The Gold wrote:i would like if some one could tell me a bit about how to find gold such as good places to pan or maybe how to locate a vein or reef like the basics behind how to do as im constantly hearing people say they know where to pan or dectec or something based on what they see around them and the ground type at the moment i know nothing and i would to learn somehting about this

Gday

I would always advise someone new to all this to visit areas that are well known and worked, a small amount of research on the internet should give you name places of areas that are accessable and the closest to you, once you are in these areas you can look about and get some idea of what the people who worked these areas were up to.

In this hobby research plays a large part in deciding where to go and where not to go, at the end of the day no matter how good you are at finding gold you wont find it if its not there, so the first step is to be on gold bearing ground, there are many books on gold panning and the methods used, the same goes for detecting gold, and prospecting for gold, these are three destinctly different methods and you need to research all of these areas individually, and also do some reading into geology so that you get some idea about rock types and formations and the terminology used as these terms will surface in any material relating to the afore mentioned methods of finding gold.

Its likely that there may also be a club in your area that you can get involved in, and also you can find out where your closest prospecting supply shop is, they will also carry lots of information like maps and books, and of course all the gear you will need to get started, and be able to head you in the right direction,the local library could also be of use and you may be able to access some useful books, there is always books for sale on ebay just enter "prospecting" or "minelab"or "metal detector" "gold books" and you will find all sorts of things.

Anyway I hope this gets you on your way and good luck.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:52 pm

G'day Show Me The Gold. Get yourself a copy of Google Earth .. free download from the net. Then go through this forum and look at the section that includes YOUR state, or whatever state you are intending to research.

You will find downloads of "Google Waypoints" ... and this will give you a REALLY good start to understanding WHERE gold has been located in the past, and what type of gold was found ... be it alluvial, elluvial, reef, mine, etc etc.

This is your starting point to begin to gather information about the area that you are interested in. Great head-start! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

From this point, you now go take a look Shocked Check out the vegetation that grows in those areas. Check the soil types, gravelling, what type of companion stones etc are in this area. Did the old timers start scratching on high ridges, or in the gullies, or in the old water courses. Look! Learn! and Look some more! You will start to look around you even when you're out going to work, or to the shops .... it will turn you into a complete 'gold fruit-cake' .... just like the rest of us!!! affraid Very Happy affraid Very Happy
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  stilltrying Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:24 pm

My advice is join a club or 2 then go out with them on field trips that way you get out into known gold area's. Many people makes more knowledge.
stilltrying
stilltrying
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2012-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Show Me The Gold Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:21 am

thanks for the heads up guys ima do just that Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Show Me The Gold
Show Me The Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down